Innerspring?

So, during this mattress shopping experience I have discovered that I am over analytical and cannot get enough information. So, that said, please give me some advice!

I slept on a Tempurpedic for several years, but really, it was too firm for me. I am 120 pounds and a side sleeper - I have discovered that the memory foam mattresses don’t give me the proper spine alignment.

I went to a mattress showroom yesterday and found that the innerspring coil mattresses with a pillow or euro top of some kind were the most comfortable for me. Specifically, I liked the Simmons Beautyrest in what they had as their ‘Port Huron’ model, which had the plush top (not pillow top).

Phoenix, on this website you allude to the fact that there are better options in terms of quality and value out there for something like this, but I can’t seem to figure out what they are. Somewhere on this site I found a link to ‘Design Sleep’ and they seemed good, but I live nowhere near Ohio. I also looked at Brooklyn bedding. And i looked at the Saatva, which seems like it would be better than the Beautyrest, but then doesn’t have the natural materials, and you alluded to there being better options out there - but what are they???

Since I liked the feel of the Beautyrest innerspring mattress, can you suggest a mattress store of manufacturer that would be a ‘better value’ and ‘better quality’?

Thank you so much for helping this confusion.

Hi color,

The first place I would start your research in the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help with how to make the best possible choice for you … and can help you know how and why to avoid the worst ones as well (including Simmons or any of the major brands).

There is also more in post #13 here about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses.

The tutorial post includes several links to lists of the better online options I’m aware of and if you can let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about the local options or possibilities I’m aware of that may also be worth considering.

Phoenix

My location is outside of Atlanta, Georgia. I am very intrigued by the Berkeley mattresses, which I picked up from somewhere on this site, but there is no place nearby that sells them. They seem to be highly recommended on this website and they have the components that interest me. Would they be okay to call and buy over the phone? Thank you, Phoenix, for all your information!

Hi color,

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Atlanta, GA area (subject to the guidelines here) are listed in post #2 here.

The Berkeley Ergonomics mattresses certainly use high quality materials but the most important part of a mattress purchase is always PPP and this is a separate issue from the quality and duability of the materials so when you can’t test a mattress in person then the options you have available after a purchase to exchange or return a mattress (or individual layers and components) if the mattress doesn’t turn out to be as suitable a choice as you hoped may become a more important part of your personal value equation.

The official recommendations of the site are the members that are listed here but there are also many other great choices across the country as well.

Only you can decide whether any additional risks or uncertainty involved with an online purchase is “worth it” to you and it would depend on the specifics of the mattress you are considering and on the other options you are comparing it to but post #12 here includes a list of the Berkeley Ergonomics retailers I’m aware of and I believe that at least some of them will ship their mattresses anywhere across the country.

Phoenix