Input on idea - Basic mattress with latex topper...

Ideal solution is a latex mattress and in 5+ years we might be able to afford one. But for now our mattress is done, a 3" down slope into the middle, and we need a better one. Rather than buy the usual name brand for around 1-2K (current budget) I was wondering what everyone thought of putting a latex topper on a new mattress. Just turned 40 years old so still like the soft bed with good support. And we’re both side sleepers. Would a basic firm mattress without a pillow-top be a good base for a latex topper? And if so should it be a firm mattress or still offer some cushion? Would a pillow top just be extra fluff that’s not needed with the latex topper? Thanks for any input.

Update: I just found this thread which gave some good information to my question.

Hi Ciontentt,

I see you’ve already found the post that I would have linked to answer your question :slight_smile:

Unless you can test the mattress/topper combination I would tend to buy a mattress that you can test in person that already uses good quality materials in the comfort layers (pillowtop or otherwise) rather than buying a firm mattress that may have some “questionable materials” in the mattress and then going through the uncertainty of choosing a topper that is a good match for both the mattress you are using it on and for you.

The best place to start is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choice … regardless of your budget range.

Phoenix

Thanks for the reply!