Inquiry Latex pure bliss

Yes however I read a post you made where you stated you can only recommend those that are members. Certainly there are companies that are not members here that use the same quality latex. You certainly are informative and obviously have educated yourself, yet the fact that members pay and their business and yours profit from this can create an uncertainty. Its only human.

“When a reputable manufacturer says something that puts them at risk of a return based on your own perceptions … it’s in their own self interest to give you information that is as accurate as possible or they would lose money”

The company I listed in this post and the Email sent, has a no return policy based on not liking the mattress as do most. Returns without cost are typically for defective not comfort unless you pay a fee. There are posts in this forum that detail returns and how companies deal with them. I don;t think there has been one dealer I communicated with that hasnt claimed their product was the best. In fact Mattresss.nets website comments a few other companies claiming they are not as good as they are. To claim you are a PLB dealer and you never sell them because you can duplicate the same mattress probably wouldnt make Pure Latex Bliss very happy.
In fact you have responded several times with those asking to duplicate the matttress, claiming you can come close based on the ILD. And there are posts here where people have asked Mattress.net to duplicate one they saw in a showroom and the result was not what they wanted. One was from member"pea" that wanted a mattress from CleanBedroom and Mattress.net stated they could duplicate it, It arrived and and was firmer than expected, wishing they would have purchased the original mattress from the store. Your response was a lil confusing as you have stated in responses here if the materials are the same it should feel the same yet your response to that post was to suggest that there are many factors that go into the feel and performance, which sounds like you going in circles. The person wanted a duplicate of a mattress she tried at a local store and like my request Mattress.net said they would duplicate it. But they didnt. This is why I think people become more confused here. Your response seems as if the construction is far more complicated than some of your other responses. You then told the person that at least it was too firm rather than too soft as they could try and fix it. Well yes by paying more money. It seemed that the customer wasnt happy and the company didnt provide what they wanted. This again is why Im reluctant to try online dealers without a comfort period and why some are confused reading all the posts. You are the one answering these people and yet when you are asked a question like this you know that some members have had issues with duplicating what they tried in the showroom. An unbiased response I would think based on your experience like the member I mentioned would have included their experience.

Can you tell me how these companies can get their latex from the same manufacturer and get different idl ratings — Latex International has to have some way of labeling their layers and differentiate between firm med and soft

Also given your posts you always suggest people try their mattresses locally, would you trust an online company claiming they can duplicate the same matttress without trying it or without a free return policy?

Thanks again and I do appreciate your efforts on this site

Hi mike7,

I wonder how much of my replies you are really reading and I suppose it’s possible to distrust or misread anything and believe that there is simply nobody left in the world that has any interest in helping others or that because they earn an income from their efforts that nothing they say or share should be trusted. That’s not a “skin” I would want to live in and I would wonder what it must be like to live with that kind of worldview. Each person of course has the freedom to choose their own belief system and what kind of information makes sense to them but i certainly don’t share your approach or beliefs.

In my view … it would be unethical for anyone to spend 16 hours a day for 3 years without any possibility of a reward that could allow their family to survive. This is not a hobby although it is a labor of love. To suggest or imply that a business plan or ability to make money from legitimate efforts to help people … especially when the information provided here is self evident and doesn’t need any “recommendations” and has no requirement to “trust” anything or anyone at all … somehow implies bias or agenda when all the evidence of over 22,000 pages on the site shows something else is somewhat surprising to me. That’s a fairly “jaded” approach IMO.

If you were to look at just the posts from today alone you will find examples of people who have found and purchased mattress from local retailers based on the information provided here and made great purchases because they learned how to choose. None of this required anything but the ability to decide for themselves based on the facts, their own personal value equation, and on knowing “how” to choose instead of following someone’s else’s advice on “what” to choose.

You would also have read that I don’t recommend any mattresses at all for anyone (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here) or make final choices for anyone (see post #2 here) … and that I limit my efforts to pointing the members here in the direction of retailers or manufacturers that may have better quality and value available based on their own personal value equation and on knowing how to make more informed choices.

The “official” recommendation of the members of this site is something they have earned and they are “among” the best in the industry … but you can also read in the hundreds of lists throughout the forum about many other manufacturers or retailers I think highly of who are not members here … yet. The “official” recommendation is a way of recognizing the manufacturers and retailers who are able and willing to compete with the best in the country, who support the efforts and time it takes to put a site like this together and maintain it, and have also agreed to provide benefits to the members here as a result of their membership.

Once again you are not reading the replies or taking “snippets” out of context. Mattresses.net has a 60 day return policy on their standard mattresses and all it costs is shipping. Many other online manufacturers have good return policies as well. The exception to most online companies return policies is a custom built mattress that doesn’t use their standard layering and is built to be unique requirements of a specific customer. I have also never said that any mattress (including PLB) can be “duplicated” based on ILD’s alone … as a matter of fact quite the opposite (including in my replies to you).

Again this isn’t the case and they don’t get different ILD ratings if the latex is the same type and comes from the same manufacturer. I’ve already answered this exact same question in a previous reply to you but for some reason you don’t seem to have read it.

That would depend on the specifics of the manufacturer or retailer, the criteria of my personal value equation, my knowledge level, and on my own informed “best judgement”. I know that if a manufacturer was familiar with both mattresses and had compared them that the odds of success would be much higher but I don’t see things in “black and white” or absolute terms as much as you appear to do and I also realize that there is no certainty with anything. I would see it as a question of the risk I was willing to take compared to the potential “rewards” and this too would be part of my personal value equation.

In the end … you can either see the information here for what it is and read the replies and links more carefully than you are or you can simply ignore some or all of it and purchase a mattress using any criteria or method of evaluating a purchase that you believe in. That part is up to you but it certainly won’t change the information that I make freely available to anyone who wants to use their own discernment and can use the information here as a way to help them make more informed choices

What you do with this information or which parts of it you trust or don’t is entirely up to you and it’s here for you to use in whatever way you see fit.

Phoenix

I dont think you are doing anything unethical and Im sure you are doing this with the best intentions. Just to respond to your post
When I mention that Mattress.net doesnt have a return policy you respond seemingly in defense—First of all my mattress would be custom and secondly most people dont think of paying shipping charges both ways as a free return.

Next you post - I have also never said that any mattress (including PLB) can be “duplicated” based on ILD’s alone … as a matter of fact quite the opposite (including in my replies to you).—but you did say
-If you use the same layer thicknesses, the same type of foam made by the same manufacturer, and the same type of cover, then you would have a very close “match”. ILD’s are always in a range (for example blended latex is in a range of about +/- 2)

When you get a request asking about a company or mattress it seems based on your experience you would include those like the one I mentioned where the person purchased a mattress from the same company I was asking about and wished they went with the one at the store even though the company said they could duplicate it. Thats the point I was making that you read these posts and thus gain knowledge as to experience these people have. Yet when I asked you about the company and duplication you didnt mention it. On mattress.net they dont even use Latex International which makes PLB, thus given your post how can they duplicate it? This is why I say it gets confusing with your posts.

When I ask you if you would buy a mattress not tested in person your response is that it would depend on the manufacturer based on knowledge. Well thats why people are here trying to learn. But your risk and rewards statement doesnt make sense when the reward is saving dollars and they arent happy with a mattress. Im trying to find the knowledge to allow me to purchase online but Im having to read the posts of those with experience seems to be the best way.

You seem to be taking this in a personal way. Im simply an outsider reading the posts and those are observations nothing more. I think you provide a great forum and its helped people make decisions.

Hi mike7,

There is really no such thing as a 'free" return because all shipping changes in both directions and any costs for a return are included somewhere in the cost of the mattress

Just to use a simple example (in this case for a “finished” mattress where the shipping costs are higher vs a mattress that can be shipped through UPS).

For the sake of this example I’ll make a few assumptions just to make the math easier and to illustrate the point. The assumptions are …

1. The business needs a 50% margin (the percentage of the sale that is their gross profit) on their “good” sales to maintain the business.
  2. The time and labor involved in a return is 15% of the price of the mattress.
  3. They have a 10% return rate.
  4. Original shipping of the mattress is $200
  5. Return shipping for refunds is $200
  6. They don’t resell their returns and just dispose of the mattress.
  7. The wholesale cost of the mattress and shipping to get the mattress to the showroom is $500.
  8. The selling price of the mattress @ 50% margin would be $1000 plus any additional amount that would cover any additional costs.

This means that they could sell this mattress for $1000 if the customer was responsible for the original shipping, any return shipping, and a “restocking fee” of 15%.

The customer would pay $1200 for the mattress if the original shipping was free but wasn’t included in the refund and they were also responsible for the original shipping cost plus the return shipping and restocking fees in the case of a refund.

If a customer refund included the original shipping cost and the company also paid for the return shipping and there was no restocking fee deducted … then the price of the mattress would be based on the “rough” math here …

Price calculation for a mattress where there is free shipping and a full refund of the purchase price including shipping and no restocking.

$5000 for the wholesale cost of 10 mattresses.
$2000 for the original shipping cost of 10 mattresses.
$200 for the return shipping of 1 refunded mattress.
$150 for the time and labor involved in returning 1 mattress (assuming that returns aren’t used as a profit center)
$0 recovery of the wholesale cost of a returned mattress.
$4500 (@ 50% margin) profit on the 9 “good sales”.

$11850 total costs or profit required for the 9 “good sales”
11850.00 / 9 = $1316.67 would now be the selling price of the 9 mattress that aren’t refunded.

In the first case … they would advertise a selling price of $1000 plus shipping. Their return policy would say “full refund less shipping costs and a 15% restocking fee”. This would be attractive to many consumers that didn’t know to factor in the other costs involved and were only “price matching” and compared this mattress to anther one that had the additional costs built in.

In the second case … they would advertise the same mattress for $1316.67 and as part of the main page they could say “free shipping in both directions and a full refund with no cost to the customer”. This would be attractive to consumers that were less risk tolerant but didn’t realize that they were still paying for the cost of returns for themselves and other consumers as well.

With a free return … the customers that don’t return a mattress (the 90%) would be paying for the costs involved for the 10% who do.

There are pros and cons to each.

If I was a customer that had high confidence that the mattress I was buying would work well for me and was willing to take on the risk of the greater costs if I was wrong then I wouldn’t want to pay for the cost of returns for other people. In this case … my "fixed cost’ would be the price of the mattress plus shipping which would be $1200.00.

If I was wrong and needed to return it then that same mattress would end up costing me $1550.00 but this would have been a risk I knew about when I made the purchase and was willing to take on.

If I was a customer that was less risk tolerant or not as confident that the mattress would be suitable for me then I would probably choose the higher cost of $1316.67 because it would be the maximum cost I would pay for the mattress regardless of whether I returned it or not.

In other words … all exchange policies and refund policies or other business costs are included somewhere in the cost of buying a mattress and getting it to the customer. In the case of “free” refunds or exchanges where the customer pays nothing then the customers that make better choices that don’t need to return the mattress pay for the costs involved in the ones that do. The choice between these two different ways of pricing a mattress is up to a business and how they choose to market their mattresses and the choice between a business that used one business model over another would part of each person’s “personal value equation” and risk tolerance.

[quote]Next you post - I have also never said that any mattress (including PLB) can be “duplicated” based on ILD’s alone … as a matter of fact quite the opposite (including in my replies to you).—but you did say
-If you use the same layer thicknesses, the same type of foam made by the same manufacturer, and the same type of cover, then you would have a very close “match”. ILD’s are always in a range (for example blended latex is in a range of about +/- 2)[/quote]

Now you are quoting me correctly … but not the first time. There is a big difference in trying to duplicate a mattress based on ILD alone and duplicating a mattress where all the components and specs are the same. I would strongly discourage the belief that the first was possible or likely because it simply isn’t true and would lead to consumer expectations that weren’t realistic. The second would mean that the two mattresses were virtually identical but the problem here is the ability to find out all the specs of the original mattress and then make sure that the same or functionally identical components and materials from the same supplier in the same layer thicknesses and ILD’s and design are available from the manufacturer or retailer you were dealing with. If the components or materials weren’t exactly the same then you would be looking at a mattress that “approximated” the mattress you were trying to “duplicate” in one or more ways (which were outlined in my previous link in post #9 here).

Facts don’t need “defending” … but statements such as these or are only “partly accurate” do need correcting so that others who read them don’t make the mistake of thinking that what you are saying is completely accurate. In other words … they do have a return policy for their “standard” designs and if a “standard” design is functionally equivalent to a mattress that you hope to approximate then there would be a return policy. If either they or you believed that you wanted to buy a mattress that was exactly the same in all ways and they had access to all the components and layers that made this possible in a custom design or if they had to customize one of their standard designs in a way that made it unique to you because you both thought it would be “closer” to the mattress you wanted to “duplicate” even if it wasn’t exactly the same … then there would also be no returns. The choice would be up to each customer to decide whether the risk was worth the reward based on the criteria of their own personal value equation and risk tolerance. So the return policy would depend on the choices you made.

Hopefully with the previous example it now makes more sense to you. There are no “certainties” when you are buying a mattress … only degrees of risk. The goal of this site is to help each person understand the risk involved in every purchase and assess their own risk tolerance and the likelihood of making a choice that is “less than ideal” in a more realistic way and recognize and assess the risk involved in any purchase. This way they will have more realistic expectations and can replace hindsight with foresight. Everything is a matter of “how much risk” is involved and the benefits connected to that risk and how well a consumer anticipates and thinks through all the parts of a mattress purchase that they may not fully understand or anticipate so that price alone isn’t mistaken for the “value” of a purchase.

This is the reason that I refer to each person’s “personal value equation” so often because most consumers have come to believe that a manufacturer or retailer is somehow responsible for what they choose or can somehow predict the feel or performance of any mattress for a specific person when in fact there is no such formula or certainty and there are so many variables that only each person’s personal experience (before or after a purchase) can really know whether a mattress is suitable for them. A consumer is always responsible for their choices and the risks they take and a manufacturer’s suggestions are based on the “averages” of people with similar body types, sleeping styles, and circumstances. The success of any online purchase will depend on how well you fit into the averages they use, their experience, knowledge, and “educated intuition”, and on the accuracy of the information you provide them.

It’s not likely you will be able to learn enough to make a mattress choice based on “theory” or “specs” without a great deal of experience lying on many combinations of materials and layers and the perseverance and learning it would take to come anywhere close to having the skill to design your own mattress (or duplicate another one) based on specs alone. This can be a lifetime study and even those with decades of experience are still going through a learning curve and are still surprised in many cases when a new mattress they design doesn’t feel anything like what they thought it would. This is why I stress so strongly that your own objective and careful testing is so important and beyond this then “dealing with an expert” that already knows what you would otherwise have to learn along with good recourse if you are uncertain about your choice is the most effective approach. Consumers who believe that a manufacturer or retailer has a “crystal ball” that can predict with any certainty how a mattress will feel or perform for them and don’t include the risk of a return in and their recourse in their “value equation” or the benefit of having a way to make changes to the mattress if it needs to be “fine tuned” are the ones who are most often disappointed … and who tend to blame a manufacturer for the choices they alone are responsible for making.

None of the members here who have purchased a mattress or even dozens combined who have purchased the same mattress as a group will have anywhere near the knowledge of a manufacturer or retailer about their own mattresses or have the ability to provide you with guidance that is as meaningful for any specific person. Reading reviews and believing that anyone else’s experience can or will apply to you is one of the biggest mistakes that consumers make when they are buying a mattress (see post #13 here). Each person will interact differently with the same mattress and have a different set of perceptions and even a few dozen “reviews” won’t provide you with anything close to the kind of guidance and accurate information that you can get from a more detailed conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced manufacturer who is drawing on the experiences of thousands of their customers.

None of this is personal … just part of the educational function of the forum.

Part of the purpose of the forum is to help “correct” some of the assumptions that many consumers or members here make when they are shopping for a mattress and to help them better assess the accuracy of some of the information (or assumptions or implications) of what they read here.

Each post like some of yours provides a chance to respond in a way that can help others avoid any of the same assumptions and use what you have written to help them look at a mattress purchase in a different way that is much more likely to lead to realistic expectations, make more informed decisions, and have much higher odds of success.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

I appreciate the the time you put into your responses but again it may be the reason people get more confused here. Sometimes it seems you are answering a question or response not posted. Maybe you are aware other people read the posts and thus answer in that context. I have not questioned why there are no free returns or even how these companies make money. In fact a few companies offer a comfort time period with a one time fee (not shipping) for a return. I simply saw the post where a chatter purchased a mattress online based on the manufacturers expertise in being able to duplicate one she saw at the store and wished she didnt in the end as it wasnt what she thought. I asked you given those types of experiences would you purchase a mattress online. You then stated if the mattress is custom they couldnt take it back. I get that and that’s my point. The mattress I would want would be custom, thus no need to discuss those that arent. I certainly understand that if a person buys a mattress online without trying it first they may incur charges to return it and the risk of paying $400 or more to return may still be worth it to some as the mattrress was still a lower price (of course difficulty repacking and now left without a bed is another added part of that risk, and now they are back to square one only in debt further)

Your next response goes into the detailing of duplicating a mattress again very confusing. Simply stated if latex international provides the same latex to the same companies and you use the same IDL and the same covers etc then the mattress can be duplicated. Thats basically what you are saying correct? You mention the specs are hard to locate but on this site you offer many specs to mattreses including the one I was asking about PLB. Again I was asking about duplicating the PLB mattress.

“Facts don’t need “defending” … but statements such as these or are only “partly accurate””
again out of context by your own posts you say custom mattresses dont have a return policy, my mattress would be custom thus when you dont acknowledge this and then go into details bout standard ones it seems as if you need to spin it to a positive. You agree if Mattress.net made a custom matttress it would not be returnable correct? That is why it seems as if you are defending.

You then go on to explain that a dealer cant know what the purchaser may want or feel and you have to rely on the person own “personal value equation”. Yes of course and no one is asking them to. My posts were about Mattress.net saying they can duplicate the PLB mattress as Ive already tested that mattress at a store.

Next you type “None of the members here who have purchased a mattress or even dozens combined who have purchased the same mattress as a group will have anywhere near the knowledge of a manufacturer or retailer about their own mattresses or have the ability to provide you with guidance that is as meaningful for any specific person. Reading reviews and believing that anyone else’s experience can or will apply to you is one of the biggest mistakes that consumers make when they are buying a mattress (see post #13 here). Each person will interact differently with the same mattress and have a different set of perceptions and even a few dozen “reviews” won’t provide you with anything close to the kind of guidance and accurate information that you can get from a more detailed conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced manufacturer who is drawing on the experiences of thousands of their customers.”

You seem to confuse the issue again–reading a review to determine how another may feel on a bed is not the point. You are aware of companies like yelp and the BBB? GIven your explanation, both would not be as important as they are. In fact reading reviews offers a wealth of information. How a company treats its customers, how a company stands by its claims, how a company behaves. Specific to my posts the example of the customer that asked for a mattress duplicated and didnt get it is a great example and can be helpful. In fact there are some great experiences in this forum from people that have purchased mattresses and knowing how the mattress holds up over time could be a great service.

I contacted Mattress.net concerning their prices for the PLB mattrress, their response was to to tell me they could duplicate the one I wanted. I wanted to know if this would be a good way to go. Again this is why I think some are confused. In one post you may claim a dealer is the best, knowledgeable, always caring and yet you go into details how it may be hard to duplicate unless you know the exact specs which can be hard to find. Mattress.net doesnt even use latex international and yet they said they can duplicate the PLB mattress doesnt that raise as red flag to you? It does to me yet you praise them. Their website seems to criticize other companies one that is a member here that you recommend, shouldn’t that be another indicator something isnt right?

I simply am trying to find the right mattress and honest opinions. If the company you praise says they can duplicate a PLB mattress what is the customer supposed to do, they are the experts. I was concerned if I said yes and it was custom and there was no return I would be out the money. I understand a company is not responsible for how each person may feel and my posts are not asking this. I, like most people here are trying to get passed the idea of not being able to try something first to make a purchase online.

I appreciate the back and forth exchange but truly Im just trying to find a mattress and locally the PLB mattreses are available to try which I liked and thats why I asked about duplicating it.

thank you )

Hi mike7,

I think my previous replies have dealt with most of the comments you have made in your last post but I’ll add a few more here in the hopes that together they can give you the tools you need to use your own “best judgement”, better assess the risk of any purchase, and make an informed decision based on your own “personal value equation”.

In post #13 here about reviews … you will see I agree with you about the “value” of reviews to the degree they make reasonable and useful comments about a manufacturer or retailer … they are just not particularly useful when it comes to assessing a mattress for all the reasons explained in the post.

Post #9 here which I linked previously talks about the different ways to “approximate” or “duplicate” another mattress and some of the difficulties involved. If you want something that is “exactly” the same as a PLB model then you would need to buy the PLB or order a mattress that has the exact same layers and components. Anything else will be an “equivalent” in one way or another and it’s up to you to decide if the benefits of approximating it in one way or another that isn’t exactly the same as the PLB is worth the reduced cost. The only way for anyone to know with certainty if the design goal is successful for any specific person is through your own personal experience regardless of any “best efforts” of a manufacturer. It may be “perfect” for 9 out of 10 people but not for the tenth.

Specs are often hard to find out and sometimes they are wrong. Like all the specs on this site … the specs of the PLB’s are my “best efforts” and are accurate as far as I know (they came from PLB) so if they are indeed accurate and you use the same design, layers, and components in a DIY mattress then it would be the same yes. I would keep in mind though that only a manufacturer is an “official” source of any specs. You could always call them to verify them for yourself and decide if you trust what they are telling you.

If they tell you that they can “duplicate” the PLB then it’s because they believe they can for the majority of people. This is part of their “best efforts”. With any mattress … “feel” is subjective so even though most people would likely agree that an equivalent mattress would be a good approximation (unless it is exactly the same) … there will always be those who perceive it as being different. In some cases people who buy a mattress and then receive the exact same mattress they tested believe it’s different because subjective memory isn’t particularly accurate. In some cases you can test mattresses in the morning and then go and test other mattresses elsewhere and if you go back and test the same mattress at the same store it can feel very different because your “subjective” reference points and circumstances have changed in the hours in between. My goal is to make sure people don’t come to believe or have expectations of a “certainty” that doesn’t exist.

Only you can answer this and this is where you need to use your own “informed best judgement”. Different people would have different answers and all of them are “right” for that person. Nobody else can provide you with “enough” information to remove all the risk and at the end of the day you will need to make “best possible” final choices (see post #2 here) based on your own decision making process and in an environment that includes some uncertainty. There is no way around this. I can help “inform” your choices and hopefully reduce some of the uncertainty (or in some cases increase it if someone is overconfident or has unrealistic expectations) but nothing more than that.

The only answer to this is that they would need to decide on what to believe and on the risk they are willing to take for the possibility of success and saving money on the mattress. Again my goal is to inform. If the most important factor is a mattress that is “exactly” like the PLB then they should pay the higher price and buy the PLB or a mattress where every single layer and component is exactly the same. To the degree that there are differences in each mattress … the potential that they won’t “feel” or perform the same for some people increases. There may be many who don’t feel the difference but there may be some who do. This is what I call the “princess and the pea” vs the “I can sleep on anything” scale. If I was in the “I can sleep on anything” end of the scale then it’s not likely that any smaller differences would mean much to me. If I was on the “princess and the pea” end of the scale then I would probably buy the PLB. It really depends on the size of your target.

I would not say “yes” until you were confident that your choice was the best one for you. The first step here is to find out if the mattress he is referring to is a custom build. I don’t know what you discussed. Some of their “standard” mattresses may feel the same as some of the PLB models to some people because the design is “equivalent” in one way or another. Most of the purchases in the industry are local because the majority of people (probably over 80%) are not comfortable with buying a mattress they haven’t tried so you are certainly not unusual in this way. While this is changing … online sales are still the minority for this very reason.

The irony is that in many cases … the way that consumers actually test a mattress in a showroom for “subjective comfort” alone has lower odds of success than random chance alone (see this study). Depending on the “accuracy” of your testing (good testing greatly increases the odds of success) … an online choice may even work out better than a mattress you have tested and sometimes has options for making adjustments that can do all the fine tuning that is needed (rather than having to return a mattress to a store that has “locked you in” to exchanging for another mattress that may be worse than the first one). If your “target” is a specific mattress then it is much smaller than most people who are simply looking for a mattress that provides them with good PPP … not a mattress that exactly matches one they have tested. Their testing is a guideline in other words … not a “target” that they have to hit the bullseye.

At the end of the day … a good manufacturer or retailer will “do their best” and use their knowledge and experience to help you to the best of their ability so you can end up making the best choice you can. While good information and good testing will put the odds in your favor compared to making a less informed choice … there is still no certainty in a mattress purchase until you have slept on it for 30 days or so and there will always be some choices that for no “fault” of anyone don’t work out the way that people wanted them to. That’s just the nature of things.

Phoenix

Well I guess we can go around if you like but truly Im interested in trying to find the best mattress based on what I can learn and experience. Your posts imo add to the confusion and sometimes contradict themselves. Again I feel anytime people are paying to be a member, it becomes difficult to be objective, it’s only human.
And for those reading this Ill try to make things clear.
I was looking to see if the mattress I tried at a showroom, the Pure Latex Bliss Beautiful model could be duplicated. Its that simple. The response was to spend several paragraphs as to IDLs and using the same materials and then you could possibly come close. I contacted mattresss.net and they told me they carry the mattress but no one buys them as they could duplicate the mattress. But phoenix’s detailed responses to this common question as stated above has to do with materials and IDL’s. I then read a review of a consumer wanting to duplicate a certain mattress by the very same company and they felt assured it could be done. When they received the mattress it wasnt what they thought and wished they would have gone with the showrooms original model. This is when I decided to ask about the possibilities of duplicating. Then why when I mention mattress.net stating they dont even use the same materials as Pure Latex bliss does, phoenix response is “If they tell you that they can “duplicate” the PLB then it’s because they believe they can for the majority of people.” But didn’t you post that it depends on the materials now its a feeling. They want to sell mattresses. To constantly give 100% confidence in a company without allowing any sort of personal motivation to make a profit is beyond logical. Every company you call will tell you their product is great and will try to sell you a mattress. Yet it seems as in the post above he blames the customer as to not feeling the same way even though the mattress was the same. This is why people here are confused. If you detail how a mattress can be duplicated and you know the company is not able to duplicate it given your own words then it seems you might question the integrity of that company. Why does a company’s belief, trump his own words breaking down the specifics.
I hope you all see the following example
The PLB Mattresses are broken down as follows

World’s Best Bed™ AF all latex
12" Natural Talalay
4" ActiveFusion Fast Natural Talalay 21 ILD
2" Natural Talalay Pressure Relief 24 ILD
6" Natural Talalay Latex Support Core 36 ILD

Beautiful- AF all latex
12" Natural Talalay
3" ActiveFusion Fast Natural Talalay 21 ILD
3" Natural Talalay Pressure Relief 24 ILD

Nutrition- AF all latex
11" Natural Talalay
3" ActiveFusion Fast Natural Talalay 27 ILD
2" Natural Talalay Pressure Relief 19 ILD

I tried them at the showroom and there is a distinct difference between the three thats why they have different models
but take a closer look at the difference between the worlds best and beautiful. They have the same height and IDL except one is 4" and one is 3" its that close yet the difference is obvious when you try them.

Now look at Sleep ez for example people are trying to duplicate the same mattress and Phoenixs response is to try and come close- as in one post he details each layer and then says it may be firmer but come close but there is a problem
Sleepez soft is 22-24 medium is 30-32 firm 38-40 …Thus it seems you would need two soft and a firm or medium? Remember Layers in the PLB are Beautiful 21 24 36. You can see if the difference in their ultra plus -Worlds Best — and Plush -Beautiful are very small how can you come close to duplicating given the IDLs of sleepez. Also note Sleep ez only uses 3" layers while the PLB uses 6" 3" 4" 2" depending.

Again everytime you read that someone has purchased a mattress you congratulate them and type" cant wait to hear your feedback" Well then Im guessing reviews are important. As for me reviews and experiences matter far more than a dealer telling you how great their product is and how bad others are.

I agree that no one can tell another whether they like a soft or firm mattress and only by testing can you decide and even them you may need several days/weeks to determine this. But if a customer asked for a duplication and the company claimed they could and the customer was dissapointed, that would matter.

My point is if you tell people that duplicating is based on exact materials and IDL’s then it seems when a question is asked duplicating from a company you should simply tell them based on your own definitions the company doesn’t use the same IDLs or the same thickness or the same materials. If your suggestion is one must always try something first then it contradicts buying online. Its that simple. I realize its enticing to save money when purchasing online and Im sure that sleep ez and mattress.net and brooklyn bedding and all the other members produce a fine product. I have no doubt about that based on what Ive researched. But being able to determine whats best for a certain customer is based on their personal choice and trying it out. Earlier I asked about how IDL’s are labeled why if PLB uses latex international and another company does do they have different IDL’s for their soft med firm. Who labels these the manufacturer or dealer.
Why is the PLB Ultra Plush model and Plush Model that significant of a difference and their IDL’s are very close in fact the same just one inch difference in thickness.
Most people here want to find a mattress they love and is affordable. When you see a company claiming they can duplicate a certain model and its $1800 cheaper, thats very enticing. And they are simply trying to find the knowldege to see if its worth the risk.
I would love to try a Sleepez or Brooklyn Bedding or Mattress.net mattress but they arent in Calif so like most Im trying to find out as much as I can. The PLB Beautifiul seemed to feel great and thats why I ask the questions about duplicating it.
Thanks again and I hope you can see a perspective from both sides.

Hi mike7,

I agree we’re going around in circles and you keep re-posting the same thoughts and comments in different ways and/or asking the same questions that have already been answered.

If you believe you already know the answers you are looking for or don’t believe the answers that you have already been given … then why are you here?

If you have any other specific questions or need any further information that hasn’t already been provided then I’d be happy to answer it to the best of my ability but there is little point in just re-posting what is essentially the same thing over and over again.

Phoenix

If you would answer questions direct maybe it wouldnt seem like one was going in circles.
thank you
Peace

I have decided after hours on here and on the phone with several different manufacturers that I am going to purchase a KING Pure Latex Bliss “Worlds Best Bed” I am not going to buy an adjustable base now. Only weighing 190 and wife 135 going to go with the basic foundation.

Now my quest is to find the best online price with free shipping. Any suggestions?

Hi odrunr,

There are many PLB retailers that ship across the country and I don’t have a list or them or the prices they charge (the internet prices are the MAP or minimum advertised prices so you would need to talk with them to find out their actual prices) but a google search should bring up many of them.

PLB used to allow dealers to ship right from the factory directly to a customer which means that if their actual selling price was lower than the MAP pricing they would end up being less but they no longer do this so a retailer needs to order them and reship them to their customer which can incur double shipping. Some PLB dealers that may be worth talking to about their prices and that may be able to ship PLB mattresses across the country include …

http://www.eco-mattress-store.com/

Sometimes the best PLB prices may be available locally and you can search for the local retailers that are closest to you on the PLB retail store finder here.

NOTE: Pure Latex Bliss (PLB) is now called Pure Talalay Bliss (PTB) and you can see the updated specs of their mattresses in post #2 here.

Phoenix

odrunr
mattressexpert has the best price that ive found. Mattress.net sells PLB but they will tell you they can duplicate the mattress. Be careful of companies that say that as I don’t think it can be duplicated based on what Ive learned
Ive asked for a price they never got back to me.
The link below has a sale I’m not sure they sell beyond their county but its worth a try
http://www.cgmattress.com/mattress/pure-latexbliss/world-s-best-bed/
all the best )

Hi mike7,

I would be careful passing this kind of advice on to others because while I understand that for some reason this is what you believe … it’s also not accurate as our previous conversation has already indicated.

It’s true though that it may not be something that someone wants to do or would even be worthwhile for some people but it is certainly possible …especially with Talalay latex.

Phoenix

There isnt one post claiming the PLB can be duplicated (now you claim its possible?). In fact it uses a gel type top layer, next based on the actual information given at the store the talalay is blended with a certain percentage of other natural items that other stores online dont use. And as per your posts thickness as well as IDL matter. Not once have you detailed any other store that uses the exact numbers nor materials. As my post above indicates the difference between the numbers in The PLB models is very small. Most posts in here trying to duplicate dont even come close to the PLB. I wouldn’t want anyone paying money for something without understanding the truth. Again you want to protect your members that pay that is very clear. I would never want anyone to make a purchase based on false information as the example Ive used where the person was told a mattress could be duplicated and it wasnt by the same company that told me the same thing.
The feel of a mattress may be subjective I agree, and it could be that coming close to another mattress is possible and acceptable and some may be okay with that but some wont be and you should understand that this is a lot of money to pay. This is why trying the mattress is important. Its the price that makes everyone seek online buying. Again most non paying members here are seeking advice and it should be non biased and honest. My response was exactly that.
thank you )

Mike7,

Your frustrations are very understandable to me. I have been researching and trying to make a decision on a latex mattress for months now. The mattress business is the worst, right? I do understand how brick and mortar stores with showrooms do not want to divulge their specific ILD’s, but they also can mislead customers about their latex information. I’m also trying to duplicate the feel of a mattress that I liked at a showroom but it is so difficult to interpret ILD’s of various companies. I have placed an order with Foam Sweet Foam,(Labor Day Sale) but have it on hold until I figure out the firmness that I want. They are trying to help me decide, but it is crazy with all these ILD’s for Talalay and Dunlop and blended Talalay and foreign and American latex manufactures, covers, protectors, etc… so many variables. I guess this forum has helped educate me, but it hasn’t helped me decide on my layers! I dread getting my mattress, not liking the feel, and repacking and sending a layer back for an exchange. It’s such a crap shoot. I realize that I’m trying to save money by purchasing online, but why aren’t there any mid-range priced latex mattresses in brick and mortar stores, all high end. Just venting, sorry about you experiences here.

Diane

Diane,
The Foam Sweet Foam website looks good…Which mattress did you select?
Jeff

Hi Jeff,

The mattress I bought is a 9" queen 100% Talalay, 3 layers of 3". I think Scott from F.S.F. has been very helpful and accommodating.
Like I said, I’m still unsure of what layers to choose. Right now, I’m leaning towards 22ILD top, 28ILD middle, and 36ILD bottom.(SOFT< MED> FIRM) Scott says that each piece is labeled specifically as to what the ILD is in 5 or 6 different spots. He will try to find the layers I request or at least very close to it. (On sale this mattress was $1699)

Diane

Hi Diane37,

Post #2 here has more about how to decide on layers but in essence it comes down to your own personal experience based on either testing a mattress in person or on buying a mattress that uses the knowledge and experience of an online source and fits the “averages” for your body type and sleeping positions and has the ability to make adjustments if you are outside the “averages” of other people.

It takes many years of experience to be able to predict what someone else will “feel” on a mattress based on specs and even then there is no certainty … only “best efforts” … until someone has actually slept on it so you will always be dependent on either your own testing or on your experience sleeping on a mattress you’ve purchased online in which case the ability to make adjustments or exchange the layers if you haven’t tested it in person would be an important part of your personal value equation and “risk assessment”. There is no way to avoid this reality.

Trying to predict how a mattress “feels” based on specs alone is an exercise in frustration and will generally end up leading to “information overload” or “paralysis by analysis” with no meaningful frame of reference.

Latex is a more costly material than other types of foam and there is no getting around this but there are also many smaller manufacturers across the country that sell latex mattresses locally that are good quality and good value and if one of these is local to you then you can have the best of both worlds and test the specific latex designs they have available for PPP and have better value as well. For those that don’t have better value latex mattresses available locally then more costly options such as the PLB or a choice that has more risk such an online retailer or manufacturer that still allows for fine tuning or layer exchanges after a purchase (and which will end up working well for the large majority of people) may be the “best” value option available for that person.

I know from your previous posts that you’ve had the chance to test Savvy Rest in Dunlop so you would have a good sense of what that type of mattress “feels” like. I scanned your past posts but I’m not sure where you are (unless I missed it) so if you let me know the city or zip where you are I’d be happy to let you know of any other sources of latex mattresses (possibly including Talalay) that may be within reasonable driving distance so you can have a better frame of reference for your choice.

Phoenix

Diane thanks for the response. My local PLB dealer will match the mattressexpert price including no tax. I originally thought the Beautiful model was best until I went back and noticed my spine felt a little strange. They had a testing mattress with a computer that is able to check pressure points and determined that I needed the more firmer model the nutrition. That one has a softer layer in the middle and firmer on top. My point regarding this forum was that sometimes the responses contradict each other.
The PLB uses a 6" core and other sizes for the top 4" 3" and 2". It also has the active fusion gel layer for temperature relief. And it uses a thin stretch knit cover. This is blended talalay and the blend from my understanding is PLBs own with natural products. I think these all go into determining the feel of a mattress which is why I think it will be hard to duplicate exactly and why it made me more wary of companies like the one I mentioned above that said it could duplicate it.
I dont understand why anyone would try so hard to get the right feel with layers of latex and then use a wool cover and mattress pad that takes away from the feel of latex. That was another confusing point. I understand that changing layers may seem like a great idea and that pricing is also an incentive but after researching I feel more comfortable with a thicker core layer and not moving layers around. One dealer told me moving layers can eventually cause tearing of some of the latex where little pieces come off. I was happy with being able to try the mattress at the showroom and the one I chose seemed like it was right for me. Im going back to the store again to make sure.
The other confusing issue was this notion of ILD —who labels them as such the dealer? If most get their latex from one source how do they order it? It seems simple but the posts seems to indicatt each brand has a different definition for soft firm and med. The more confused I got the more I thought something isnt making sense logically. Ordering online sounds great until I thought bout having to exchange a bed or return one and how to repackage something or figure what to do without a bed after I returned it. I most likely will go with my local store PLB as they will deliver set it up and take the old mattress. PLB has a great warranty as well I guess Im paying a little more than trying to duplicate it online but in the end I know what Im getting. All the best to you

I do stand by post that I dont believe the PLB can be duplicated exactly unless the exact materials were used and so far not one company has made that claim.
But maybe there will be a company that can get the exact materials