Inquiry Latex pure bliss

Hi mike7,

I think my previous replies have dealt with most of the comments you have made in your last post but I’ll add a few more here in the hopes that together they can give you the tools you need to use your own “best judgement”, better assess the risk of any purchase, and make an informed decision based on your own “personal value equation”.

In post #13 here about reviews … you will see I agree with you about the “value” of reviews to the degree they make reasonable and useful comments about a manufacturer or retailer … they are just not particularly useful when it comes to assessing a mattress for all the reasons explained in the post.

Post #9 here which I linked previously talks about the different ways to “approximate” or “duplicate” another mattress and some of the difficulties involved. If you want something that is “exactly” the same as a PLB model then you would need to buy the PLB or order a mattress that has the exact same layers and components. Anything else will be an “equivalent” in one way or another and it’s up to you to decide if the benefits of approximating it in one way or another that isn’t exactly the same as the PLB is worth the reduced cost. The only way for anyone to know with certainty if the design goal is successful for any specific person is through your own personal experience regardless of any “best efforts” of a manufacturer. It may be “perfect” for 9 out of 10 people but not for the tenth.

Specs are often hard to find out and sometimes they are wrong. Like all the specs on this site … the specs of the PLB’s are my “best efforts” and are accurate as far as I know (they came from PLB) so if they are indeed accurate and you use the same design, layers, and components in a DIY mattress then it would be the same yes. I would keep in mind though that only a manufacturer is an “official” source of any specs. You could always call them to verify them for yourself and decide if you trust what they are telling you.

If they tell you that they can “duplicate” the PLB then it’s because they believe they can for the majority of people. This is part of their “best efforts”. With any mattress … “feel” is subjective so even though most people would likely agree that an equivalent mattress would be a good approximation (unless it is exactly the same) … there will always be those who perceive it as being different. In some cases people who buy a mattress and then receive the exact same mattress they tested believe it’s different because subjective memory isn’t particularly accurate. In some cases you can test mattresses in the morning and then go and test other mattresses elsewhere and if you go back and test the same mattress at the same store it can feel very different because your “subjective” reference points and circumstances have changed in the hours in between. My goal is to make sure people don’t come to believe or have expectations of a “certainty” that doesn’t exist.

Only you can answer this and this is where you need to use your own “informed best judgement”. Different people would have different answers and all of them are “right” for that person. Nobody else can provide you with “enough” information to remove all the risk and at the end of the day you will need to make “best possible” final choices (see post #2 here) based on your own decision making process and in an environment that includes some uncertainty. There is no way around this. I can help “inform” your choices and hopefully reduce some of the uncertainty (or in some cases increase it if someone is overconfident or has unrealistic expectations) but nothing more than that.

The only answer to this is that they would need to decide on what to believe and on the risk they are willing to take for the possibility of success and saving money on the mattress. Again my goal is to inform. If the most important factor is a mattress that is “exactly” like the PLB then they should pay the higher price and buy the PLB or a mattress where every single layer and component is exactly the same. To the degree that there are differences in each mattress … the potential that they won’t “feel” or perform the same for some people increases. There may be many who don’t feel the difference but there may be some who do. This is what I call the “princess and the pea” vs the “I can sleep on anything” scale. If I was in the “I can sleep on anything” end of the scale then it’s not likely that any smaller differences would mean much to me. If I was on the “princess and the pea” end of the scale then I would probably buy the PLB. It really depends on the size of your target.

I would not say “yes” until you were confident that your choice was the best one for you. The first step here is to find out if the mattress he is referring to is a custom build. I don’t know what you discussed. Some of their “standard” mattresses may feel the same as some of the PLB models to some people because the design is “equivalent” in one way or another. Most of the purchases in the industry are local because the majority of people (probably over 80%) are not comfortable with buying a mattress they haven’t tried so you are certainly not unusual in this way. While this is changing … online sales are still the minority for this very reason.

The irony is that in many cases … the way that consumers actually test a mattress in a showroom for “subjective comfort” alone has lower odds of success than random chance alone (see this study). Depending on the “accuracy” of your testing (good testing greatly increases the odds of success) … an online choice may even work out better than a mattress you have tested and sometimes has options for making adjustments that can do all the fine tuning that is needed (rather than having to return a mattress to a store that has “locked you in” to exchanging for another mattress that may be worse than the first one). If your “target” is a specific mattress then it is much smaller than most people who are simply looking for a mattress that provides them with good PPP … not a mattress that exactly matches one they have tested. Their testing is a guideline in other words … not a “target” that they have to hit the bullseye.

At the end of the day … a good manufacturer or retailer will “do their best” and use their knowledge and experience to help you to the best of their ability so you can end up making the best choice you can. While good information and good testing will put the odds in your favor compared to making a less informed choice … there is still no certainty in a mattress purchase until you have slept on it for 30 days or so and there will always be some choices that for no “fault” of anyone don’t work out the way that people wanted them to. That’s just the nature of things.

Phoenix

Well I guess we can go around if you like but truly Im interested in trying to find the best mattress based on what I can learn and experience. Your posts imo add to the confusion and sometimes contradict themselves. Again I feel anytime people are paying to be a member, it becomes difficult to be objective, it’s only human.
And for those reading this Ill try to make things clear.
I was looking to see if the mattress I tried at a showroom, the Pure Latex Bliss Beautiful model could be duplicated. Its that simple. The response was to spend several paragraphs as to IDLs and using the same materials and then you could possibly come close. I contacted mattresss.net and they told me they carry the mattress but no one buys them as they could duplicate the mattress. But phoenix’s detailed responses to this common question as stated above has to do with materials and IDL’s. I then read a review of a consumer wanting to duplicate a certain mattress by the very same company and they felt assured it could be done. When they received the mattress it wasnt what they thought and wished they would have gone with the showrooms original model. This is when I decided to ask about the possibilities of duplicating. Then why when I mention mattress.net stating they dont even use the same materials as Pure Latex bliss does, phoenix response is “If they tell you that they can “duplicate” the PLB then it’s because they believe they can for the majority of people.” But didn’t you post that it depends on the materials now its a feeling. They want to sell mattresses. To constantly give 100% confidence in a company without allowing any sort of personal motivation to make a profit is beyond logical. Every company you call will tell you their product is great and will try to sell you a mattress. Yet it seems as in the post above he blames the customer as to not feeling the same way even though the mattress was the same. This is why people here are confused. If you detail how a mattress can be duplicated and you know the company is not able to duplicate it given your own words then it seems you might question the integrity of that company. Why does a company’s belief, trump his own words breaking down the specifics.
I hope you all see the following example
The PLB Mattresses are broken down as follows

World’s Best Bed™ AF all latex
12" Natural Talalay
4" ActiveFusion Fast Natural Talalay 21 ILD
2" Natural Talalay Pressure Relief 24 ILD
6" Natural Talalay Latex Support Core 36 ILD

Beautiful- AF all latex
12" Natural Talalay
3" ActiveFusion Fast Natural Talalay 21 ILD
3" Natural Talalay Pressure Relief 24 ILD

Nutrition- AF all latex
11" Natural Talalay
3" ActiveFusion Fast Natural Talalay 27 ILD
2" Natural Talalay Pressure Relief 19 ILD

I tried them at the showroom and there is a distinct difference between the three thats why they have different models
but take a closer look at the difference between the worlds best and beautiful. They have the same height and IDL except one is 4" and one is 3" its that close yet the difference is obvious when you try them.

Now look at Sleep ez for example people are trying to duplicate the same mattress and Phoenixs response is to try and come close- as in one post he details each layer and then says it may be firmer but come close but there is a problem
Sleepez soft is 22-24 medium is 30-32 firm 38-40 …Thus it seems you would need two soft and a firm or medium? Remember Layers in the PLB are Beautiful 21 24 36. You can see if the difference in their ultra plus -Worlds Best — and Plush -Beautiful are very small how can you come close to duplicating given the IDLs of sleepez. Also note Sleep ez only uses 3" layers while the PLB uses 6" 3" 4" 2" depending.

Again everytime you read that someone has purchased a mattress you congratulate them and type" cant wait to hear your feedback" Well then Im guessing reviews are important. As for me reviews and experiences matter far more than a dealer telling you how great their product is and how bad others are.

I agree that no one can tell another whether they like a soft or firm mattress and only by testing can you decide and even them you may need several days/weeks to determine this. But if a customer asked for a duplication and the company claimed they could and the customer was dissapointed, that would matter.

My point is if you tell people that duplicating is based on exact materials and IDL’s then it seems when a question is asked duplicating from a company you should simply tell them based on your own definitions the company doesn’t use the same IDLs or the same thickness or the same materials. If your suggestion is one must always try something first then it contradicts buying online. Its that simple. I realize its enticing to save money when purchasing online and Im sure that sleep ez and mattress.net and brooklyn bedding and all the other members produce a fine product. I have no doubt about that based on what Ive researched. But being able to determine whats best for a certain customer is based on their personal choice and trying it out. Earlier I asked about how IDL’s are labeled why if PLB uses latex international and another company does do they have different IDL’s for their soft med firm. Who labels these the manufacturer or dealer.
Why is the PLB Ultra Plush model and Plush Model that significant of a difference and their IDL’s are very close in fact the same just one inch difference in thickness.
Most people here want to find a mattress they love and is affordable. When you see a company claiming they can duplicate a certain model and its $1800 cheaper, thats very enticing. And they are simply trying to find the knowldege to see if its worth the risk.
I would love to try a Sleepez or Brooklyn Bedding or Mattress.net mattress but they arent in Calif so like most Im trying to find out as much as I can. The PLB Beautifiul seemed to feel great and thats why I ask the questions about duplicating it.
Thanks again and I hope you can see a perspective from both sides.

Hi mike7,

I agree we’re going around in circles and you keep re-posting the same thoughts and comments in different ways and/or asking the same questions that have already been answered.

If you believe you already know the answers you are looking for or don’t believe the answers that you have already been given … then why are you here?

If you have any other specific questions or need any further information that hasn’t already been provided then I’d be happy to answer it to the best of my ability but there is little point in just re-posting what is essentially the same thing over and over again.

Phoenix

If you would answer questions direct maybe it wouldnt seem like one was going in circles.
thank you
Peace

I have decided after hours on here and on the phone with several different manufacturers that I am going to purchase a KING Pure Latex Bliss “Worlds Best Bed” I am not going to buy an adjustable base now. Only weighing 190 and wife 135 going to go with the basic foundation.

Now my quest is to find the best online price with free shipping. Any suggestions?

Hi odrunr,

There are many PLB retailers that ship across the country and I don’t have a list or them or the prices they charge (the internet prices are the MAP or minimum advertised prices so you would need to talk with them to find out their actual prices) but a google search should bring up many of them.

PLB used to allow dealers to ship right from the factory directly to a customer which means that if their actual selling price was lower than the MAP pricing they would end up being less but they no longer do this so a retailer needs to order them and reship them to their customer which can incur double shipping. Some PLB dealers that may be worth talking to about their prices and that may be able to ship PLB mattresses across the country include …

http://www.eco-mattress-store.com/

Sometimes the best PLB prices may be available locally and you can search for the local retailers that are closest to you on the PLB retail store finder here.

NOTE: Pure Latex Bliss (PLB) is now called Pure Talalay Bliss (PTB) and you can see the updated specs of their mattresses in post #2 here.

Phoenix

odrunr
mattressexpert has the best price that ive found. Mattress.net sells PLB but they will tell you they can duplicate the mattress. Be careful of companies that say that as I don’t think it can be duplicated based on what Ive learned
Ive asked for a price they never got back to me.
The link below has a sale I’m not sure they sell beyond their county but its worth a try
http://www.cgmattress.com/mattress/pure-latexbliss/world-s-best-bed/
all the best )

Hi mike7,

I would be careful passing this kind of advice on to others because while I understand that for some reason this is what you believe … it’s also not accurate as our previous conversation has already indicated.

It’s true though that it may not be something that someone wants to do or would even be worthwhile for some people but it is certainly possible …especially with Talalay latex.

Phoenix

There isnt one post claiming the PLB can be duplicated (now you claim its possible?). In fact it uses a gel type top layer, next based on the actual information given at the store the talalay is blended with a certain percentage of other natural items that other stores online dont use. And as per your posts thickness as well as IDL matter. Not once have you detailed any other store that uses the exact numbers nor materials. As my post above indicates the difference between the numbers in The PLB models is very small. Most posts in here trying to duplicate dont even come close to the PLB. I wouldn’t want anyone paying money for something without understanding the truth. Again you want to protect your members that pay that is very clear. I would never want anyone to make a purchase based on false information as the example Ive used where the person was told a mattress could be duplicated and it wasnt by the same company that told me the same thing.
The feel of a mattress may be subjective I agree, and it could be that coming close to another mattress is possible and acceptable and some may be okay with that but some wont be and you should understand that this is a lot of money to pay. This is why trying the mattress is important. Its the price that makes everyone seek online buying. Again most non paying members here are seeking advice and it should be non biased and honest. My response was exactly that.
thank you )

Mike7,

Your frustrations are very understandable to me. I have been researching and trying to make a decision on a latex mattress for months now. The mattress business is the worst, right? I do understand how brick and mortar stores with showrooms do not want to divulge their specific ILD’s, but they also can mislead customers about their latex information. I’m also trying to duplicate the feel of a mattress that I liked at a showroom but it is so difficult to interpret ILD’s of various companies. I have placed an order with Foam Sweet Foam,(Labor Day Sale) but have it on hold until I figure out the firmness that I want. They are trying to help me decide, but it is crazy with all these ILD’s for Talalay and Dunlop and blended Talalay and foreign and American latex manufactures, covers, protectors, etc… so many variables. I guess this forum has helped educate me, but it hasn’t helped me decide on my layers! I dread getting my mattress, not liking the feel, and repacking and sending a layer back for an exchange. It’s such a crap shoot. I realize that I’m trying to save money by purchasing online, but why aren’t there any mid-range priced latex mattresses in brick and mortar stores, all high end. Just venting, sorry about you experiences here.

Diane

Diane,
The Foam Sweet Foam website looks good…Which mattress did you select?
Jeff

Hi Jeff,

The mattress I bought is a 9" queen 100% Talalay, 3 layers of 3". I think Scott from F.S.F. has been very helpful and accommodating.
Like I said, I’m still unsure of what layers to choose. Right now, I’m leaning towards 22ILD top, 28ILD middle, and 36ILD bottom.(SOFT< MED> FIRM) Scott says that each piece is labeled specifically as to what the ILD is in 5 or 6 different spots. He will try to find the layers I request or at least very close to it. (On sale this mattress was $1699)

Diane

Hi Diane37,

Post #2 here has more about how to decide on layers but in essence it comes down to your own personal experience based on either testing a mattress in person or on buying a mattress that uses the knowledge and experience of an online source and fits the “averages” for your body type and sleeping positions and has the ability to make adjustments if you are outside the “averages” of other people.

It takes many years of experience to be able to predict what someone else will “feel” on a mattress based on specs and even then there is no certainty … only “best efforts” … until someone has actually slept on it so you will always be dependent on either your own testing or on your experience sleeping on a mattress you’ve purchased online in which case the ability to make adjustments or exchange the layers if you haven’t tested it in person would be an important part of your personal value equation and “risk assessment”. There is no way to avoid this reality.

Trying to predict how a mattress “feels” based on specs alone is an exercise in frustration and will generally end up leading to “information overload” or “paralysis by analysis” with no meaningful frame of reference.

Latex is a more costly material than other types of foam and there is no getting around this but there are also many smaller manufacturers across the country that sell latex mattresses locally that are good quality and good value and if one of these is local to you then you can have the best of both worlds and test the specific latex designs they have available for PPP and have better value as well. For those that don’t have better value latex mattresses available locally then more costly options such as the PLB or a choice that has more risk such an online retailer or manufacturer that still allows for fine tuning or layer exchanges after a purchase (and which will end up working well for the large majority of people) may be the “best” value option available for that person.

I know from your previous posts that you’ve had the chance to test Savvy Rest in Dunlop so you would have a good sense of what that type of mattress “feels” like. I scanned your past posts but I’m not sure where you are (unless I missed it) so if you let me know the city or zip where you are I’d be happy to let you know of any other sources of latex mattresses (possibly including Talalay) that may be within reasonable driving distance so you can have a better frame of reference for your choice.

Phoenix

Diane thanks for the response. My local PLB dealer will match the mattressexpert price including no tax. I originally thought the Beautiful model was best until I went back and noticed my spine felt a little strange. They had a testing mattress with a computer that is able to check pressure points and determined that I needed the more firmer model the nutrition. That one has a softer layer in the middle and firmer on top. My point regarding this forum was that sometimes the responses contradict each other.
The PLB uses a 6" core and other sizes for the top 4" 3" and 2". It also has the active fusion gel layer for temperature relief. And it uses a thin stretch knit cover. This is blended talalay and the blend from my understanding is PLBs own with natural products. I think these all go into determining the feel of a mattress which is why I think it will be hard to duplicate exactly and why it made me more wary of companies like the one I mentioned above that said it could duplicate it.
I dont understand why anyone would try so hard to get the right feel with layers of latex and then use a wool cover and mattress pad that takes away from the feel of latex. That was another confusing point. I understand that changing layers may seem like a great idea and that pricing is also an incentive but after researching I feel more comfortable with a thicker core layer and not moving layers around. One dealer told me moving layers can eventually cause tearing of some of the latex where little pieces come off. I was happy with being able to try the mattress at the showroom and the one I chose seemed like it was right for me. Im going back to the store again to make sure.
The other confusing issue was this notion of ILD —who labels them as such the dealer? If most get their latex from one source how do they order it? It seems simple but the posts seems to indicatt each brand has a different definition for soft firm and med. The more confused I got the more I thought something isnt making sense logically. Ordering online sounds great until I thought bout having to exchange a bed or return one and how to repackage something or figure what to do without a bed after I returned it. I most likely will go with my local store PLB as they will deliver set it up and take the old mattress. PLB has a great warranty as well I guess Im paying a little more than trying to duplicate it online but in the end I know what Im getting. All the best to you

I do stand by post that I dont believe the PLB can be duplicated exactly unless the exact materials were used and so far not one company has made that claim.
But maybe there will be a company that can get the exact materials

I also wamted to say that the store I went to had every PLB model and at the foot of each one was the materials used and the ILDs of each.
thank you)

I want to point out that I called every PLB internet dealer on this site. I priced the Worlds Best Bed. Shipped directly from factory.

www.cgmattress.com/mattress/pure-latexbliss/world-s-best-bed/

This above site is BY FAR the least expensive place. BY far. I got the “World’s Best Bed” for what I felt was an awesome price.

I am so excited to get this mattress.

I becomes tired of looking to duplicate the PLB mattresses. I thought it was going to be price prohibitive, but it was not. This site helped me realize that Latex was the answer for us and I am grateful. Its why I made a donation to the site. This is a great resource.

Honestly, if you find the precise duplicated mattress how much are you expecting to save? Isnt the PLB company owned by the largest latest companies in the US? I understand you will pay a premium for the name, but I cannot see there is enough savings to find a local manufacturer who can get close. I think I am going to prefer the real thing :slight_smile:

Hi Mike7,

Exactly … now you are “getting it”.

All the materials in the PLB can be ordered separately in the same thickness and in the same ILD as is used in the PLB mattresses. PLB doesn’t use anything in their mattresses that can’t be purchased separately. If you add a cover that is functionally the same you will have a duplicate mattress.

Other than that … each difference in layering or design can either add to the differences between two mattresses or offset each other so you could have a mattress that was a good approximation in terms of PPP for many or even most people (but not all people) that used a similar or sometimes quite different combination of layers.

The reason is that some people much prefer a mattress that has a quilting layer of wool or other materials in the mattress vs a mattress where you sleep directly on the latex. They just don’t like the “feel” or resilience of bare latex as much as the “feel” of latex that has some kind of quilting material above it. In addition to this the wool can replace the fire barrier that would otherwise need to be used. You can see an example in this thread from earlier today of someone who likes the OMI Lago Nouveau which uses a cover that is quilted with thicker layers of wool and is incredibly “comfortable” for them and they didn’t like the springiness of some of the other latex mattresses they tried. One of my favorite latex mattresses was the OMI Terra which also has thicker layers of wool in the quilting.

These are also listed on the forum here (at least for “version 3” of the PLB mattresses.

If you go to the Latex International site here you can see all the different types of latex they have available and post #4 here has sources for all of these in any thickness that someone may wish.

Phoenix

Hi odrunr,

Thanks for the tip. I’ve added them to the previous list of retailers here that can ship the PLB mattresses across the country.

As you know … the PLB mattresses can be very good value depending on where you buy them. As you also mentioned … PLB is owned by Latex International which makes much of the Talalay latex used in mattresses sold in North America (the other major Talalay latex manufacturer is Radium).

There are many local manufacturers around the country who sell latex mattresses that have some great value but in most cases they will be a different design from PLB. Whether their designs are “better or worse” for each person is up to each person to decide … but the actual materials are the same. Latex International is also well aware that it’s not a good idea to compete too strongly with their main source of income which is the manufacturers (large and small) that use their latex in their own mattresses or they would just replace LI with other suppliers and they would lose much more business than they gained from their PLB sales so the mattresses sold by local manufacturers across the country are often less than PLB even though the designs may be different. Some good research such as you did can also uncover some very good sources for PLB as well in spite of their MAP pricing (minimum advertised pricing).

Most importantly though … congratulations on your new mattress … I think you made a great choice :slight_smile:

Thanks too for all your feedback and the donation … I appreciate both of them!

Phoenix