Is 1" talalay latex in the comfort layer enough?

I am currently looking at the Ecocomfort EFL1 luxe firm mattress from Mathis Brothers. I am having the HARDEST time finding out specific information from the different layers, as well as reviews on durability. The current information I have about the layers is:
1" 7lb talalay (I am assuming this is a synthetic mix because it doesnā€™t say 100% latex anywhere) - Iā€™m not sure what the ā€œ7lbā€ means as I didnā€™t see this as a metric on the information about latexā€¦so what does 7 lb mean?

1" HD memory foam - that was the only information even after asking about density

a ā€œcompression layerā€ along with something else that is ā€œhigh densityā€

I believe the mattress is 11" total, but besides the top 2 layers, Iā€™m not sure what the depth of the other layers is. The sign with the mattress says ā€œtransition memory foam, talalay latex, HD cloud cool foam, dynamic support foamā€ but no info on where these occur, or any other specifics (the other information I got through a phone call with a sales person)

My main question is - is 1" of talalay enough for side sleepersā€¦it seems like not, but does the next layer of memory foam make up for it?

Ideally we are looking for 2-4" of comfort layers, and are wanting HR polyfoam or latex supportā€¦just having a hard time finding transparency in what is in the support layers at the mainstream mattress places we have visited.

Does anyone have experience with the durability of the ecocomfort mattresses (I believe they are ā€œmadeā€ by Mathis Brothers).

Thank you so much!

Go over to Mathis Brothers and try it out. Im in LA too. I might go to Ontario Mathis Bros later today.

Overall though, 1 inch latex is not enough for side sleepers.

John

After visiting 2 different mathis brothers stores today to try it out, I do believe you are correct. 1" is not enough!

Hi MichelleB.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum. :slight_smile:

It looks like testing in person helped answer your question. 1" is what we would recommend for a flat sleeping profile (like stomach sleeping).

Side sleeping is the most common sleeping position and because it has a more ā€œcurvyā€ profile than the other two positions, pressure relief becomes an important part of the choice here so you donā€™t end up sleeping on your more pointy or bony parts or to use a technical term ā€¦ your bony prominences. These are of course your hips and your shoulders. There are deeper gaps to ā€œfill inā€ to spread your weight out on the mattress when you are sleeping on your side so side sleepers need a deeper cradle to relieve pressure so the gaps are filled in and help spread the weight over the mattress. In other words they need to ā€œsink INā€ to the comfort layers more. This means that the comfort layers generally need to be a little softer and/or thicker than the other 2 positions. In general a good starting point for a good comfort layer for a side sleeper is 3" and then depending on weight, body shape, preferences, and the firmness of the support layers, to go up or down from there. Most side sleepers will fall in the range of from 2" -4". Without an appropriate comfort layer, a side sleeper will end up with pressure points during the course of the night and could have symptoms of numbness, soreness, localized redness, or end up tossing and turning all night as your body tries to relieve the pressure.

I hope this helps!
NikkiTMU

Nikki,
Thank you so much for your reply! That is exactly what we found - we liked the ā€œfeelā€ but didnā€™t sink ā€œinā€ enough.

Do you have any suggestions for how we could get the firm ā€œfeelā€ with enough ā€œsinkā€? Weā€™re working with a local company now where we can pretty much configure the layers however we like. We found that the Firm latex has the ā€œfeelā€ that we like, but doesnā€™t offer enough sink no matter the thickness of the layer. Would putting a softer (like medium or soft latex, or even memory foam) layer under the firm latex give us more sink?

The people who are helping us at our local store are fabulous and have allowed us to try basically any combination we can think of, but Iā€™d like to have a few in mind for the next time we visit so I can make the most use of ours and their time.

Hi MichelleB,

It sounds like youā€™re getting really close to finding your dream mattress, with the perfect balance of support and comfort! Nikki makes some valid points that we agree with, side sleepers require a deeper cradle than a back or stomach sleeper.

Do you have any suggestions for how we could get the firm ā€œfeelā€ with enough ā€œsinkā€? Weā€™re working with a local company now where we can pretty much configure the layers however we like. We found that the Firm latex has the ā€œfeelā€ that we like, but doesnā€™t offer enough sink no matter the thickness of the layer. Would putting a softer (like medium or soft latex, or even memory foam) layer under the firm latex give us more sink?

Glad to hear you have found a local company, trying a mattress first is the best way to do it! Firm latex has a strong resistance, which is great for support, but not so great for relieving pressure when sleeping on your side. Rather than put a softer layer under the Firm, it may be better to put it on top, closer to the body. I would recommend trying 6" Firm in the base and 2" Soft on top first, to see how your body feels. If that is not enough softness, you can try a 3" Soft.

Another point to consider, the thicker the mattress, the ā€˜bouncierā€™ or ā€˜more comfortableā€™ it may be. For exampleā€¦6" Firm + 2" Soft feels firmer than 8" Firm + 2" Soft

Iā€™m sure your local shop will be well versed in the different options as well.

Please do share how it goes! All the Best!