Is the Quantum Edge Elite Combi-Zone in Avocado "Three-Zone" or "Reverse Zone?"

Thank you for this incredibly educational site. What a wonderful resource this is, it seems like it has changed countless lives.

I’m confused by how the Avocado Green’s innerspring, the Quantum Edge Elite Combi-Zone, maps onto TMU’s categorization of Zoning Options.

In Avocado’s description, they seem to say that the middle zone, “Zone 3”, is softer, and they say that this is “for your hips.” And that the zones above and below, Zone 5 and Zone 4, are firmer.

Yet, the descriptions on this forum of this innerspring seem to say the opposite? For example, in post 26, Phoenix describes the Quantum Combi-Zone unit as “a three-zone system with the middle-third firmer,” and says that the poster might want an innerspring unit that lets “your hips sink in a bit more for alignment than the firmer zoning of the Combi-Zone allows in this configuration.” But that seems to contradict Avocado’s description of the middle zone being softer, and specifically softer “for your hips”?

Similarly, in post 86, the user NestHaven says that “We tried the Avocado mattress which does use the tri-zone coils, and it was one of the most uncomfortable mattresses that we slept on. As lightweight sleepers, since the middle zone is firmer than the other two zones, it constantly felt we were being pushed too hard in the middle, like our back was bowed.” Yet Avocado’s description seems to say that the middle zone is softer than the other two zones?

I am a male with wider shoulders and chest than hips, and a relatively flat lumbar curve. Based on the excellent tutorial page on Zoned Construction, it seems three-zone construction could work well for me, but multi-zone construction / reverse zone construction would be exactly what I wouldn’t want? But I can’t tell if Avocado’s innerspring is three-zone or reverse-zone, because the descriptions of it seem contradictory.

Would really appreciate any guidance / clarification. I’ve learned so much from this website, but I still don’t quite understand zoning.

According to the Quantum® Edge Elite Combi-Zone® Product Sheet from the Leggett & Platt website, it “contains Quantum® coils along the edge and through the center third zone. The center zone provides superior hip and lumbar support, while the reinforced perimeter delivers a consistent sleep surface, reducing that roll-off feeling.” The narrower diameter coils in those areas allow a higher concentration of coils resulting in a firmer level of support which confirms Phoenix’s description as “a three-zone system with the middle-third firmer” as well as user NestHaven’s experience. Not sure why the Avocado website seems to have it reversed in their description.

Hope that helps,

• Bill

That is extremely helpful. Thank you so much Bill!

I just contacted Avocado to ask why the description seems to be reversed. I’ll report back what they respond in case the information might be helpful for any forum members.

Sorry for the error with the link in my earlier post, here is the correct link to the Quantum® Edge Elite Combi-Zone® Product Sheet for reference:
https://beddingcomponents.com/document/load/quantum-edge-elite-combizone-product-sheet.pdf

Avocado confirmed that “the mid zone is firmer.”

This makes more sense because your hips/pelvis are usually a heavier part of the body so that section would need to be firmer to maintain alignment.