Is there any disadvantage to having split layered latex in a mattress?

I can see the advantage of purchasing a latex mattress with stacked layers that are not glued together. This obviously offers many advantages for not only customizing the feel of your mattress by swapping layers around to achieve the perfect feel, but makes it much easier to transport, or rotate a mattress, by allowing the components to be broken down and moved around more easily.

I also see the added advantage of having split layers. If you sleep alone, this really increases your options for customizing the feel of your mattress, by doubling the number of layers you can swap around. And if you sleep with a parter, you can customize each side of the bed independently. So back to my subject line, are there any disadvantages to having split layers? Can split layers shift or separate at all?

Hi gme109,

Post #2 here should answer your questions but the short version is that you would feel the different firmness levels on each side and the transition in between them to some degree (depending on how different each side is from the other) but there won’t be any issues with the layers shifting or feeling the split itself if your mattress has a suitable tight fitting quilted cover.

Phoenix