Is there such thing as a mattress consultant for hire?

I realize there is an incredible wealth of information on this forum. But, after 5 hours of reading, I realize I am no closer to understanding what I need or should look for than when I started. With work requiring 70 hours per week, 2 kids under 3, twin boys on the way, marriage, owning an international company, and being in the midst of moving my home & company 300 miles, I just don’t have the bandwidth to consumer (and understand) the 30+ threads linked in the How to Look for the Best Mattress"How to Look for the Best Mattress"[/url] thread. So I wanted to ask…is there such thing as a mattress consultant I can hire that will walk me through exactly what I, my wife, and our children need? I actually do (in a different industry) exactly what I’m looking for. Clients contact me, and I walk them through the details they need to know/understand, and help guide them to exactly what they need.
Costs them very little money, and they save MASSIVE amounts of time, stress, and risk. Does such a thing exist in this industry? I realize stores have sales people. But, I’ve been to all the recommended stores in Austin, and haven’t found anyone who actually cares to advise. They all just want you to lay on the bed and tell 'em if you want it. I need someone to ask me the pertinent questions, and tell me based on all my factors (how I sleep, weight, etc), what we need or should be looking for. I’m in Austin. But legitimately, I’d get on a plane and fly somewhere if it meant working with someone who took the stress & guess work out of the process.

In case it’s of value, here are our details:

• Me: Back & stomach sleeper. 5’10" 155-160 lbs. No ailments or issues. From experience traveling, I feel like I get more restful sleep on firmer mattresses.

• Wife: Stomach & side sleeper. 5’3" 150 lbs.

• Child #1: We have a 3 y/o we’re moving into a “big girl” bed, and are looking for a mattress that she can use as she grows.

• Budget: Willing to pay up to $4k for our mattress. I’m not sure what to expect for our daughter’s mattress. Maybe $1k or less? At the end of the day, we’ll buy what’s necessary.

Truly & sincerely, thank you to any of you who can either advise or point me in the direction of relieving the stress of trying to figure this out on my own!

Hi AustinCowboy,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I’m sorry, but I’m not aware of such a service. Such “services” like you described that I’ve seen unfortunately aren’t independently knowledgeable individuals, but people funneling individuals toward one certain brand. Back in the day I actually toyed with this concept but the time I invested (which was considerable to do a complete job in a geographic region for the people I assisted) wasn’t worth the payments I received from the people assisted. That was one of the reasons for the founding of the site - to provide people with the tools to learn on their own how to select a mattress. But I understand if you’re unable/unwilling to make use of this information, and then unfortunately what is offered here won’t be as much use to you as it is to others. But perhaps someone here on the forum is aware of such on option for you and they can assist or contribute that information to you in a PM.

Regarding your area, the only actual recommendations I could make would be members here of the site, but they would be a bit of a drive for you, either The Mattress Factory in Fort Worth, or Texas Mattress Makers in Houston. If you want to get on a plane and visit a knowledgeable retailer, you certainly could take a look at the site members here with brick and mortar locations and contact them to see if you are comfortable with what they could offer you and how they might be able to assist you with providing a mattress to your home. I think highly of these people and their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency. They are extremely knowledgeable about different mattress configurations, and I would not hesitate to recommend them for your consideration.

Phoenix

Hello,
Is there a list of recommended shops for purchasing a mattress in Austin?

1. I am looking for a spring or wool mattress. Latex mattress although feels good, it heats up after sometime and is never going to be as cool as a coil mattress. I read somewhere that wool mattress can keep the temperature of the bed cool throughout the night.

2. I am looking for a firm mattress yet the one that conforms to the contours of the body to provide lower back /arch support.

3 ) Mattress that stays cool throughout the night. Flat or adjustable base would be ok.

1. A return policy if not satisfied would be great, so I dont get stuck with uncomfortable mattress.
    Sorry there is no link to start a new thread, so I searched for mattress shops in Austin and found this thread and so I am posting it here.

I really like Vi Springs Regal mattress, but the problem is that the king mattress is $11.5K, which is beyond my budget. It would be great if there is any other mattress that feels same as Vi Springs Regal but much cheaper.

Hi Octonion.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Generally, you can just perform a Forum Search and type a “key term” any city or area you would be closer to and consider driving or any other area and see what other businesses have been discussed in that region which may be helpful to you, but from your questions and comments I think you have a bit more legwork to do.

[quote]1) I am looking for a spring or wool mattress. Latex mattress although feels good, it heats up after sometime and is never going to be as cool as a coil mattress.
[/quote]

As temperature regulation seems to be an issue for you …. Here is some information that can help. While the upper layers of a mattress are the most significant part of temperature and moisture regulation … you are correct that deeper support components that allow more airflow can also have an effect and so innersprings will also tend to sleep cooler than foam support cores as long as the air can ventilate to the outside of the mattress. Generally, the materials, layers, and components of a sleeping system that are closer to your skin will have a bigger effect on airflow, moisture transport, and temperature regulation than materials, layers, and components that are further away from your skin.

While not a complete list, there are quite a few manufacturers who produce mattresses without foams, and there is a listing of them in post #4 here, along with some notes on these types of products. It should be enough to get you started on your search. Also, in the topper thread here there are some MicroCoil toppers listed as well that you may wish to consider which would allow for most breathability. Additionally, there is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here that can help you choose the types of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range and keep in mind that this will also depend on how many different factors interact. There is more about this in post #2 here .

Wool is among the best temperature regulating materials but I would also keep in mind that it regulates temperature in both directions (it’s used in the desert and also in cold climates because of this) so while it may not feel “cool” … it generally doesn’t feel “hot” either and it also helps to regulate moisture (which can trap heat) and reduce the perception of temperature that comes from higher humidity levels (similar to how temperatures feel cooler on less humid days than they do on more humid days). Wool may also reduce the amount of heat that reaches the memory foam so it can also firm up the memory foam or at least slow down the time it takes to become softer with body temperature.

While TMU can certainly help with “how” to choose … It’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see post #2 here).

I’m not sure what you’ve read since you found the site but just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

Whatever business you’re considering, I would always confirm that any retailer or manufacturer that you wish to visit is completely transparent (see this article) and also make sure that any mattress that you are considering meets the Post #13 quality/value guidelines here.

Once you have a chance to narrow down your options please let me or any of our Expert Members know and if you have more specific questions will be happy to assist you.

Phoenix

Hey there AustinCowboy,

I realize this is probably a little late for your needs, but I am starting a Mattress Consulting business. At the moment, the service I provide is unbiased advice on what the best sleep solution would be for each client. I spend time finding out what their individual needs are and what their experiences are. Once I feel I know their needs and wants, I will make recommendations. I am not sponsored by, paid by, or in any other way compensated by any mattress company, including but not limited to mattress manufacturers and retailers. I work for myself and the general public. I started this service because I used to sell mattresses. I worked at Sleep Train(then later Mattress Firm after the buyout) and Sleep Number. Over my 7 years between the two, I learned a lot about the industry and their practices. I secret shopped every mattress shop in my area and several surrounding areas. These shops showed me that most places have little problem telling people that their product is best. What they don’t tell you is that their condition of best is relative to other mattresses like theirs, and that their mattress is just different enough to not be just like anybody else. There are a lot of similarities from one mattress to the next, and even more differences. What it ultimately comes down to is deciding what combination will best suit your needs. That’s where I come in. Being exclusively paid by my clients, it is in my best interest to keep your best interest in mind. If you are still interested in the service of a Mattress Consultant, please let me know here.

Sweet dreams,
Paul