iSerta Applause

Does anyone have info about the Serta iSeries Applause (replaced by the iSeries Vantage) being offered at Sam’s Club (for a limited time only)? I’m wondering if these are close-outs or have been altered from the original version. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi MeJane,

The first place I would start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choices … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones which would generally include any of the major brands such as Serta or any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the type and quality of the materials and components inside it.

Just in case your choice is being “influenced” by consumer reports (who rates the Applause as a “best buy”) … you can see some of my thoughts about their report in post #2 here and in this topic.

Phoenix

Thanks. I appreciate the response. I am an elderly person with an eye/vision disorder which prevents me from reading long posts/text information. I do not have a local mattress manufacturer in my area that I can rely on - only retailers.
I can’t drive far distances to look for alot of options and when I go to a local store, I get who I get in terms of a salesperson (there are only so many of them who want to work in this industry - go figure). I might be more knowledgeable than they are, but I still have a twofold problem.

First, I cannot find anything that tells me specifically which manufacturers are the best overall - not personal opinions or ratings on specific mattresses, etc., but overall concise data/ratings by manufacturer based on materials, quality, workmanship, durability, warranty, etc. in a short format (other than the “biased” ratings by Consumer Reports, specific sellers and other similar reviewers). Again, I can’t read pages and pages of data due to my vision issues.

Second, there appears to be no 2014 cross reference list which would enable me to determine (for example) what the “xyz” model Sterns & Foster mattress at Sears relates to at Macy’s without having to read volumes of data in small print in the store or on a website (again a problem for me). It makes it impossible to make a side-by-side comparison and a valued decision (I realize the retailers do this on purpose, but I had hoped to find something on-line to unravel this puzzle). I guess all I can do is flip a coin and hope for the best

Based on the prices for these mattresses it sure is frustrating. Thanks for your information.

Hi MeJane,

There may also be some better retailers in your area that are more knowledgeable, experienced and transparent and where helping you choose a good quality and value mattress that is the best “match” for you is more important than just “selling you whatever they can”.

Who you deal with can be one of the most important parts of a successful mattress purchase and dealing with “experts” who already know what you would otherwise need to learn and who have your legitimate best interests at heart can be one of the most important “shortcuts” in buying a mattress. If you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know of any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of that are close to you.

The name of the manufacturer means very little since all manufacturers use the same or similar materials and brand shopping is among the worst ways to choose a mattress (see post #5 here).

The two most important parts of a mattress purchase are how suitable a mattress is for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) which involves careful and objective testing on a mattress in the store and the quality of the materials inside the mattress which determines how long a mattress will last and maintain its comfort and support. There is some brief information in post #13 here about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase but the name of the manufacturer on the label has very little to do with the suitability of a mattress or the quality, durability, and useful life of a mattress.

Again … I would completely avoid any manufacturer that plays these types of games where the same or a very similar mattresses are sold under many different model names so that different stores can claim that their mattresses are “exclusive” to them and they can avoid price matching. In almost all cases these are the types of manufacturers (mostly major brands which I would avoid anyway) that either use lower quality and less durable materials in their mattresses in the fewer cases where the materials are higher quality they don’t compare well to smaller manufacturers that use the same or higher quality materials in their mattresses and sell them for lower prices.

Part of successful mattress shopping is knowing what to avoid and why and I would include these types of manufacturers and stores in your “exclusion list”. If you make a blind purchase then your risk of buyers remorse and buying a mattress that doesn’t maintain its comfort and support for a reasonable length of time relative to what you paid for it with no warranty recourse (warranties don’t cover the loss of comfort and support and have little to nothing to do with the useful life of a mattress) would be much too high.

A mattress is one of the most important purchases you can make and can have a bigger effect on your wellbeing than almost any other purchase and I certainly wouldn’t just “flip a coin” when you are making your choices. Again … especially in circumstances such as yours … who you deal with can be one of the most important parts of a successful mattress purchase.

There is also a more simple “short version” of the mattress shopping tutorial at the end that may also be very helpful and a little easier for you to read.

Phoenix

Thanks. Zip is 34652

Hi MeJane,

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in your area are listed in post #143 here.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix. I will give them a try. Have you ever heard of Symbol Mattresses? That brand is carried at a small furniture store in my area. I’ve never heard of it and wondered if you had.

MeJane

Hi MeJane,

Symbol is the 12th largest mattress manufacturer in the country (see this article) and post #5 here has some thoughts about them as well.

You may find that it’s easier to find out the information you need (see this article) about their specialty mattresses that have latex or memory foam comfort layers than their “regular” mattresses and knowing the quality of the material inside any mattress you are considering is the only way to identify any possible weak links in a mattress and make meaningful comparisons to other mattresses. Before you go to any store to test specific mattresses I would always make sure that you call first to find out what types of mattresses they have on their floor and confirm that you will be able to find out the information you need to make an informed decision about any of the mattresses you want to test or you may end up wasting a trip.

Phoenix

Thanks again Phoenix.

I wonder if you have any ideas about Sleep Number beds? A friend of mine swears by them (but as you always point out, that’s not a reason to buy). I understand their 25 year warranty is prorated after 2 years based on the cost of the specific component failure (i.e, the cost of the remote, not the entire purchase price of the bed) . . .

Hi MeJane,

You can see my thoughts about airbeds in general in this article.

Of course there will always be some people who may do well with an airbed or legitimately prefer them over other types of mattresses regardless of any inherent weaknesses in their design and for those that decide to purchase an airbed anyway then I would tend to avoid Select Comfort (Sleep Number) or the major manufacturers in general and look at some of the airbed manufacturers that are listed in post #3 here that have better quality/value and are more transparent about the materials they use inside their mattresses.

Phoenix

Thanks. I looked at a Jamison mattress today (based on one of the suggestions you gave me - thanks again) at Better Back. It’s the Resort Hotel Collection - Hilton Head. Really nice comfortable feel with a good warranty (15 year) and a reasonable price. I’ll go back at least twice more to try it out before I buy. They certainly don’t breathe down your neck or pressure you which is refreshing.

I’d like to thank you for all the help and assistance you have provided. This is such an intimidating process and without your insight, I’m sure many of us would have made a costly error which we would soon come to regret.

Jane

Hi MeJane,

Jamison certainly makes some good quality mattresses that have better value than most mainstream manufacturers but no matter who makes a mattress you are considering I would always make sure you know all the specifics of what it inside it (see here) so you can compare the materials to the guidelines here and make more meaningful comparisons to other mattresses.

I would also be aware that a mattress warranty has little to do with the useful life of a mattress or when you will need to replace it (see post #174 here) because mattress warranties only cover defects and not the loss of comfort and/or support which is the most likely reason you will need to replace a mattress. Knowing the quality and durability of the materials inside a mattress are always more important than the length of the warranty.

Phoenix

I know you are not a fan of brand name mattresses, but is there a difference between the same mattress in different stores? For example, is a Serta Vantage Firm the same mattress at Mattress One as it is at HH Gregg? I can check the values and the mattresses scope out the same, but I have people telling me that the “mattress only” stores carry a higher quality than the department and big box stores. Thanks.

Hi MeJane,

If the name of the mattress is the same then the mattress is almost certainly the same as well although the only way to know for certain is to know the specifics of the materials inside both mattresses.

Phoenix