Issue with firm mattress bought from Mancini's

Hi,
About 2+ months back, we bought a firm mattress (~ $800) from mancini’s sleepworld from one of their California stores. We had selectde the mattress based on the feel & price.
Both me & my wife weigh betweeb 120 & 160 lbs & we are side sleepers. Now the mattress is giving me pain in the shoulder and hip side area. However my wife is just fine.
Fortunately Mancini’s has a policy where they take back the mattress for $99 from 30 to 120 days after purchase. Taking back means either refund or exchange is permitted. So we want to give this a shot.
I read some reviews about them elsewhere on Internet, and some people had trouble doing the return or exchange.

So the purpose of this post is what to do? Should I go for refund or exchange. IMO the salesman would play nice if we go for exchange rather than refund.
The second question is which mattress to go for if I am buying again from Mancini’s?

Another possibility is to go for mattress topper. With mattresses, at least we can try them. However with topper, I think it is going to be a blind puchase. So inputs are appreaciated as to which topper to buy.

Thanks for the help.

Hi illcar,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I’m sorry your current mattress is feeling too firm for you, but at least you had the foresight to choose a store/product with an exchange/return policy. If you follow the guidelines that Mancini’s has in place for their return/exchange program, I don’t know why you would have any “trouble” making such an exchange/return.

I’d first want to know what mattress you currently have and the specifications of that product (see this article) to determine if what you have uses componentry that is worth keeping or not. Then I’d want to know what other mattress you may be considering and then compare those materials to the durability guidelines (see this article here) to see if it contains materials that are worthy of consideration.

What I can certainly help with is “how” to choose, but it’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

I’d suggest you read the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

Using a topper to provide extra surface comfort to a better quality mattress that has too firm of a feel is certainly a viable and common practice, but I’d need to know the specifications of your current mattress before I could provide any commentary regarding going in that direction. Placing a good plush topper on a mattress using poor quality materials isn’t something I’d recommend, so I can’t provide such guidance without your current mattress information.

Phoenix

Hi,

I currently have Simmons Beautyrest San Isabel mattress:
SPECIFICATIONS - Innerspring Firm Mattress
Comfort Layer:
DualCool™ Technology Fiber
1.25" AirFeel™ Foam
1" AirCool® Foam
Contour Layer:
1" Comfort Foam
BackCare® Support
½" AirCool® Gel Memory Foam
Support Layer:
815 Density Beautyrest Pocketed Coil: Helps Deliver Conforming Back Support.
Ventilated AirCool® BeautyEdge®
Triton Foundation
Adjustable Friendly
10 Year Warranty
Mattress Height (Approx.) 13.5"

Please let me know your thoughts.

One think I forgot to add last time is that since my wife is comfortable with this bed, is there an option to add topper on just one half of the mattress :slight_smile: If not, she is willing to try the topper along with me.

Hi illcar.

Unfortunately the information you listed does not provide any meaningful information, such as the foam density in the mattress you currently have. Please read the information you need to know about a mattress in this article that I linked to in my earlier reply.

Generally speaking the major manufacturers and brands (such as Sealy/Stearns & Foster, Simmons, and Serta) all tend to use lower quality and less durable materials in their mattresses than most of their smaller competitors. Lower quality materials and components will tend to soften or break down prematurely relative to the price you pay which is why I would generally suggest avoiding all of them completely (along with the major retailers that focus on them as well) regardless of how they may feel in a showroom along with any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the type and quality/durability of the materials inside it (see the guidelines here. along with post #3 here. and post #12 here. and post #404 here).

Knowing that the foam density is usually lower in the major brands than what I would typically recommend, you may wish to consider a refund on this mattress, as I wouldn’t recommend keeping it or adding a topper on it.

If Sleepworld offers a product for which you can find out information listed here and the exact specifications (such as foam density) and the quality of the componentry in the mattress so that you can compare it to the durability guidelines here. you may wish to consider an exchange as long as you first test the product for PPP(Pressure Relief, Posture and alignment and Personal Preferences) to assess if it meets your personal needs and preferences, and make sure that the quality of the componentry meets the guidelines I linked to above.

To find out how to assess a mattress I would especially make sure you’ve read post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well he will sleep), durability (how long he will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

Once you know the specifics of a mattress or construction you are considering fell free to post them here and I’ll do my best to assist you.

Phoenix