I've tried every mattress out there...help!

I’ve tried Serta, Simmons Beautyrest recharge, Sleep Number, Kathy Ireland for Therapedic, and Sealy Hybrid and have disliked all of them. The Serta was uncomfortable. The Simmons was very comfortable, but tanked within 90 days. The Sleep Number is simply painful, despite adding various toppers. The Kathy Ireland was just plain painful and squeaky. I don’t know what to do. I had a Therapedic double sided mattress purchased in 2002 that I just loved (but thought it was time to replace). When I went to my local mattress store, I found that Therapedic had changed for the worse (at least to me). Nonetheless, I’m considering another Therapedic double sided mattress. I would love to get it from Matt-to-go, but it’s very far away (I live in zip code 49002~ Kalamazoo, Michigan) I’ve found Discount Mattress in Grand Rapids, Michigan and they carry the double sided Therapedic. I’m not sure if I should venture in again with Therapedic. I’m also concerned that the Therapedic in Grand Rapids may not be the same quality I viewed on the Matt-to-go website. I have fibromyalgia which makes it extra difficult. I would appreciate any advice you have. I haven’t had a good nights sleep in over one year! Thank you.

Hi Jewels,

The first place to start is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the most suitable and best quality choices … and more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones (which would include all the mattresses you mentioned with the possible exception of some of the Therapedic mattresses).

As long as you find out the quality of all the materials in any mattress you are considering (see this article) then you won’t have to guess about the quality or durability of the mattress. If this information isn’t available to you for any mattress you are considering then I would pass the mattress by.

Once you are at step 3 in the tutorial … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Kalamazoo / Portage area are listed in post #2 here. There is also a list in post #2 here for the St Joseph area and in post #4 here for the South Bend / Ft Wayne area but you have some good options that are closer to you than these.

Phoenix

Thank you for all of the information you’ve provided me so quickly. I have read the tutorial and will do further research here on your site. The tutorial has been very helpful. I’ve been to Buis Mattress and was very impressed with the owner, Marc. However, my concern is that the mattress that fit my alignment the best has only two inches of comfort material consisting of of cotton, polyfoam, and polyester. I’m not sure that will work with fibromyalgia. I also went to Jonathan Stevens and looked at their mattresses. However, all of their innersprings are a continous coil and I’ve found those to be painful. Also, the mattresses feel warm/hot, do you know why many innersprings are sleeping hot? Additionally, I’ve read that the top three worst mattress brands are: Restonic, Englander, and Spring Air and wonder if you agree or disagree? I’ve been avoiding those brands due to the article I read listing them as the worst. Perhaps, I should reconsider. Thank you so much and please let me know if you have any additional information and/or comments.

Hi Jewels,

Your careful and objective testing (using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post) along with some guidance from a knowledgeable and experienced “guide” (such as Marc) is the best way to assess whether a mattress is suitable for you in terms of PPP. I would also keep in mind you can always soften or change the “feel” of a mattress that is a little too firm with a topper or mattress pad but it’s much more difficult to make a mattress that is too soft any firmer because this would normally involve removing and replacing the foam layers that were too soft. As you probably know … I think very highly of Marc and Buis Mattress and their quality, value, and service.

It wouldn’t be the innersprings that are sleeping hot (innersprings are very breathable) but the foam layers, materials, and fabrics that are on top of the innerspring that are closer to your body. There is more about the factors that can affect sleeping temperature in post #2 here.

What you “feel” when you lie down on a mattress initially is generally more about the comfort layers than the support layers of a mattress so it’s possible that the comfort layers of the continuous coil mattresses you tested aren’t “right” for you.

I certainly don’t agree with this. The name of the manufacturer on a label means very little because outside of how well a mattress matches your specific needs and preferences in terms of PPP … a mattress is only as good as it’s construction and the quality/durability of the materials inside it and all manufacturers make better and worse quality mattresses that use better and worse quality materials. For me … the transparency of a manufacturer (or a retailer) and your ability to find out the specifics of what is inside a mattress you are considering is much more important than their name. This article includes a little more about the top 15 manufacturers in the industry and the “odds” that you will be able to find out what is inside their mattresses which is much more important than their name. With licensee brands such as the ones you are mentioning then the transparency of the factory that makes the mattresses in your region and their willingness to provide specs to their retailers would be even more important than the brand name as well since each of them may make different mattresses in different areas of the country even though they have the same brand label.

Phoenix

Do you have an opinion regarding Therapedic mattresses? The two I tried had continuous coils and both were painful. However, you mentioned that it may be the comfort materials used rather than the coil system causing the discomfort. This makes me wonder if it would be a mistake to buy the double sided Therapedic as they use the same comfort materials. I’m just trying to find a mattress that is similiar to the double sided Therapedic I purchased back in 2002-2003.
I was very impressed with Marc at Buis Mattress and may contact him again to discuss adding comfort materials to the mattress he fit to me.
Anyway, I would really appreciate your opinion of the Therapedic Innergy 2 Augusta Plush Pillowtop Two-Sided shown in detail at www.matt-to-go.com!
Thank you so much.

Hi Jewels,

It would depend on the specifics of the mattress. If you can provide the information about any of their mattresses you are considering that is listed in this article I’d be happy to make some comments about the quality of the materials. Without this information I wouldn’t have enough information to make any meaningful comments about any mattress regardless of the name of the manufacturer.

If you can find out the density of the layers from Jeff I’d certainly be happy to make some comments about the quality of the materials. Once you have this information you could also compare them to the guidelines here. Jeff is also an expert (and one of the members here) and is very knowledgeable about his and other mattresses and will also give you good information about the materials in all his mattresses.

Phoenix

Thank you for your time and all the information you’ve provided. I’ll check with Jeff. I’ve spoken to him a few times and he has an incredible knowledge base regarding mattresses. I certainly recommend Jeff and his store, just based on how helpful he’s been on the phone. Additionally, his website provides a detailed analysis of each mattress, which is a rare find. I may just end up making the drive to his store, instead of looking for something closer.
Thank you so much!

I went to Jonathan Stevens today and would love to get your opinion. The mattress I looked at is a continuous coil, 14.5 gauge, 644 coil count for full mattress. It has a steel encased perimeter system. The insulator is a full coverage flexible net with 2oz textile fiber pad. It has Visco lumbar support at a 3.0 density. Also it has 1 inch ultra plush, 2.4 density poly foam then and inner panel to attach the pillow top. Next, are two inches of luxury soft natural rubber latex at 4.0 density. Then, two inches of plush poly foam at 1.5 density. Does this sound like a quality made mattress?
Thank you,
Jewels

Hi Jewels,

Just to rearrange your specs a bit and fill in a few of the gaps … from top to bottom …

2" of soft 1.5 lb polyfoam: This is “on the edge” in terms of the thickness (see the guidelines I use here) and it would also help to know if this is in the pillowtop itself or if this is quilted to the top panel (quilting would make it a little more durable).
2" of latex: While this would be a good quality material … I would want to know the type and blend of the latex for reference.
1" 2.4 lb density polyfoam: This is a good quality material.
3 lb visco lumbar support: This is a lower density memory foam “belly band” but it’s deeper in the mattress and is there for lumbar support so it should be fine.
Insulator with full coverage flexible net with 2oz textile fiber pad: This is to even out the support of the springs and prevent the foam from sinking in to the coils. This should also be fine.
14.5 gauge, 644 coil count continuous coil with steel edge support: Continuous coils are fairly inexpensive coils but can be very supportive because of how they are interconnected and since the weak link of a mattress is rarely in the support system it should be fine as well.

The thickness of the continuous coil is missing so I can’t add up the thickness of all the layers to make sure that it matches the height of the mattress (which also isn’t mentioned) and confirm that all the layers and components have been listed.

So I would want to know that this was all the layers in the mattress and that there isn’t any additional layers (such as any quilting foam) which aren’t mentioned along with wanting to know the type and blend of the latex.

If this is all of the layers then there is a little more lower density polyfoam than I would be completely comfortable with and this could become a weak link in the mattress so it’s “on the edge” but it’s also “not too bad”.

Phoenix

I called Jonathan Stevens and received some additional information. The mattress is 13.5 inches high. The height of the coils is unknown. Here’s how they break it down:

Base: Perdurable base foam, 1.5 density~2oz textile fiber pad.
Unit: Comfortflex continuous coil that Jonathan Stevens makes (not Legget and Platt).
Coil Gauge: 14.5
Coil Count: 644 (full).
Border Gauge: 6 Ga.
Edge Support: Comfortguard 360 steel encased perimeter system.
Insulators: Full coverage flexible net
2oz textile fiber pad
VLS: Visco Lumbar Support, 3.0 density.
Comfort Layers: 1 inch ultra plush, 2.4 density poly foam.
Inner panel (used to attach pillow top).
2 inches luxury soft natural rubber latex, 4.0 density.
Quilt Package: 2 inches of 1.5 density foam.
FR loft, barrier fiber.
Cover: Sculpted luxury knit (100% polyester) with coordinating border (100% polyester).

Regarding the latex, it’s Talalay and it’s four pounds. I hope I’ve provided everything you need to take a close look at the mattress I’m considering. Again, thank you so much for all of the information you’ve provided and your willingness to help. :slight_smile:
Jewels

Hi Jewels,

Thanks for the additional information (although they still didn’t mention the blend of the latex but that’s not significant).

All the materials look fine to me except the 2" quilting layer is “on the edge” of the thickness I would be most comfortable with (I usually use a guideline of “no more than about an inch or so of unknown or lower density materials”). The fact that it’s quilted though makes things a little better and it would be more durable than if it was an unquilted layer.

Phoenix

Thank you. If you don’t mind, I would like to keep you posted as to what I end up purchasing and if it is comfortable and holds up. I like to read the various forums here and always look for that follow-up final review.
Thank you,
Jewels

Hi Jewels,

That would be great and ongoing feedback is always welcome.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding :).

Phoenix

For various reasons, I’m now considering the purchase of a Restonic Comfort Care Mattress. I just called “Sleep Doctor” to get the specs on the mattress and they were quite shocked by my question. In fact, I was told that no one had ever asked that question. The salesperson told me he would try to contact his rep and see if he can get the information. It didn’t seem to go over well at all. Do you have any general opinion of the Restonic Brand? Do you think I should call reconsider the purchase if they are unable to provide me with the specs on the mattress?
Thank you so much for all of your help. :slight_smile:

Hi Jewels,

Unfortunately this is far too common in the mainstream industry when you are dealing with salespeople who know very little about the mattresses they are selling outside of the “marketing” information they have been taught and is one of the reasons why I started this site.

In most cases … the members here that have done some basic reading for a couple of hours will know more meaningful information about mattress than most of the salespeople who sell them in the mainstream industry … and I think that’s rather sad when you are making a purchase that can have a bigger effect on your overall well being than most of the major purchases people make.

I would personally consider any purchase where you can’t find out the quality of the materials in the mattress to be a high risk purchase and it’s a risk that I personally wouldn’t take (see the mattress shopping guidelines here).

Restonic is a licensee brand that is made by a group of independent manufacturers across the country and each region can make their mattresses differently. Some of the Restonic licensee factories are more transparent about the specifics of the materials in their mattresses than others so your odds of being able to find out what is inside a Restonic mattress you are considering would depend on the specific manufacturer that makes it. My thoughts about a Restonic mattress (or any mattress for that matter) always depends on the specifics of the materials and components in a mattress (see this article) regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label.

As a whole, Restonic tends to be more transparent about the materials in their mattresses than many other larger brands but knowing the quality and likely durability of any mattress or making meaningful comparisons with other mattresses will always depend on the suitability of a mattress in terms of PPP and knowing the quality/durability of the materials inside it.

Phoenix

Just to provide a quick 3rd party opinion, as I’m checking this forum most every day now… Listen to what Phoenix says. It’s easy for us all to assume we know more than we do, but he and a few others on this site really know what they’re talking about.

From personal experience, much of a mattresses’ warmth or breathability comes from the mattress protector. I recently got a st dormier wool mattress protector, and there is such a noticeable difference that it’s obvious where the heat is coming from, when I sleep warm. And I usually sleep warm.

Another thing I’ll say about that is that the sheets can make a significant difference. I’ve invested in a nice set of bamboo sheets, and those little babies are not only the softest sheets I’ve ever felt, but also they seem to be the densest. Not to say they’re thick, because they’re quite thin. But I sleep with a fan above me, and they block almost all the direct air it produces, on high. Somehow they manage to block all direct air movement, but be so thin that they still breathe. That is another major factor in how cool or warm you sleep.

I only mention this because I see alot of people complaining about the mattress they sleep on, and how “hot” it sleeps. I can only wonder what other factors are present. As of now, I’ve invested almost the same amount of money in the protector and sheets, as the mattress itself. So far, everything is great.

Other than all that, especially considering your needs, make sure to pick a mattress that you can get a longer period trial on. A mattress that feels great in a store, or for the first 7 days, sure it’s great in the store or for the first 7 days. But you want it to last. 1 month should be a minimum, and 3 months should be what you’re looking for. Unfortunately, there are some lower priced, but high end mattresses, which don’t offer this. They’re low priced because they don’t build in a comfort guarantee. Only a quality guarantee. Personally, I think that’s fair, but don’t we all wish we could have the best at a low price with the best guarantee :slight_smile:

Anyways, good luck. I hope you find something great.

Thank you for the information. I am going to contact the Regional Manager to see if he can provide me with the specs to the mattress I’m interested in. If he is unwilling or unable, then I won’t purchase the mattress. I’ll let you know what happens.
Thank you,
Jewels

Hi Jewels,

I’m looking forward to finding out whether they will provide you with the specs you need.

Phoenix

I finally received the specs from the Restonic mattress I am considering. I would really appreciate your advice on this.

Top: Polyester and Rayon
1.8" of 1.2 pound polyurethane foam.
.5" of 1.3 pound gel foam.
1.8" of 1.2 pound polyurethane foam.
Marshall Coil
.9375" of 1.0 pound polyurethane foam.

From everything I’ve read on this site, my understand is that the density of the foams in this mattress are not high enough to create a mattress that will last more than a year or so. I look forward to your break down of this mattress and your opinion overall.

Thank you so much,
Jewels

Thank you for the additional advice. I really do appreciate it. Believe me, I am so grateful for this site and for the knowledge provided here. This is really the best site I’ve found! :cheer: