I've tried every mattress out there...help!

I’m just glad that you had it fail within your return window, they often don’t start to sink until later on and then you’re out of luck and $$$. May I ask what mattress you’re getting instead? Hope it all works out well for you in the end and that you’ll get many nights of comfortable sleep! - Bill

Hi Jewels - if you can tolerate the smell, the Nectar is worth a try, it does smell for a few days though. I have sensitivities to chemical smells but I did ok with it and it was gone in a week. Good base foam 2.2 lbs and the comfort layers are better then most of the other bed in a box. They list their densities on their site. It’s medium firm but loosens up a small bit.

Also if you can try one of the older Tempurpdic models. The rhapsody luxe maybe, not too firm but not too plush. The next firmer model would be the contour elite. These are likely on close out and may not be returnable.

I wouldn’t be able to recommend their new models. The base foam density is pitiful and who knows that the rest of it is.

We got a nectar and a Tempurpdic contour elite. I am happy with both! And I was the princess and the pea like you :slight_smile: I spent a few years trying to find something that didn’t sag at my hips or swallow me whole lol

Just sharing my experience:)

Hey mr yabo,

Thanks for the update. In my opinion, this listing on Overstock - NuForm-Talalay-Latex-3-inch-Mattress-Topper is not the slow recovery latex. The “slow recovery latex” from Talalay Global was never sold in 3 different ild’s as this listing shows. I am sure this is regular Talalay.

Oh, and yes I think you are not alone with your statement “I do find their mattresses a little overpriced IMO”…at least for me, I agree w you.

Thanks,
Sensei

Thanks for the info Sensei and to mendelnewton I like to acquire exotic materials :slight_smile:

Hello,

I’m looking at the Luma Sleep Mattress. It has a dunlop latex base and it comes with a talalay topper. I’m confused regarding the topper. They say the talalay is blended, so does that mean chemical? Do you have any impression or opinion regarding Luma Sleep? They are listed on this site in the bed in a box section.

Thank you,
Jewels

Thank you for the advice. I want to order a Nectar, but saw a bunch of bad Better Business Bureau complaints. Most of the complaints were that the mattress was ordered and paid for buy never arrived. Also, some just didn’t find it comfortable and were unable to return as Nectar never followed through. Did you purchase your Nectar directly from them or on Amazon and can you tell me what year??

Thank you,

Jewels

Hey Jewels,

Thanks for your question :slight_smile: !

You may not have known, but Luma Sleep is one of TMU’s “Talk to the Experts” trusted members, you may ask questions directly to Team Luma here. And perhaps other consumers may chime in regarding their experiences, you can use the “Search Forum” tab and keywords “Luma Sleep Mattress” for viewing past threads comments too. Just curious: what mattress are you sleeping on now and what types of mattresses are the “every mattress out there” you speak of?

Thanks,
Sensei

Hello!

I’ve tried many traditional mattresses, along with a few bed in a box mattresses. I have eye, skin and nervous system issues on Therapedic, Tempurpedic, Sealy, and Beauty Rest. The most comfortable mattress I’ve tried was a Sealy Conform Performance mattress. Unfortunately, it smelled strongly of chemicals, the worst of everything I’ve tried. Additionally, it caused the most physical problems including, constant eye watering and burning, eye twitching, skin rashes, itching, fatigue, brain fog, and other issues. All issues resolved two weeks after the mattress was removed.

I’ve been reading that it’s possible to air out a mattress to lower the VOC’s a person is exposed to. The article stated that once delivered a mattress should air out for at least 24 hours. The first two months are the most toxic regarding VOC’s and to avoid issues, you should remove all bedding, open a window and air the mattress out for one day per week (for a two month period). I’m wondering if it’s possible to clear the VOC’s that caused my symptoms? Have you heard anything about reducing VOC’s in memory foam and other mattresses?? I would appreciate any opinion on this.

Thank you,

Jewels

Oh my goodness!

Poor Jewels! I feel like i’ve been through a war with you my friend. I started reading this thread and saw that it dated back to 2014, and i thought “he must have resolved the issue and other people chimed in with similar questions” and as time went on I started to fear, and my fears were realized, that you were still searching 6 years later!! I thought I was having a tough time of it, I’ve been dealing with bad sleep for the last 3 years and that seemed forever! You have my deepest sympathies my friend. I will be checking back occasionally in hopes to hear that you found the unicorn mattress of perfection!

Hello!

Thank you for understanding and for being so kind. It’s been so very frustrating. I’m dealing with many poorly made mattresses and chemical sensitivities at the same time. I’ve found mattresses that feel comfortable, but fail within months. I’ve also found some decent memory foam mattresses, but then I got sick from something in them. I can say that the Sealy memory foam I tried is a one year mattress, it was starting to prematurely soften within a few months. The Tempurpedic can be comfortable and will last for years, but you have to find the one that fits you (not easy) and deal with possible chemical issues. I will check your thread when I have a bit of time. I would like to see what you’ve tried.

Thank you WTBSleepSev!

Hey Jewels,

You have my sympathies with these complex health issues; they definitely make finding the perfect mattress for you quite challenging.

Your comments made me think of a previous Phoenix response regarding “Stumped on mattress selection” post #6, involving a discussion of “safe and natural” materials in a mattress, you may find it interesting.

I cannot offer specific medical advice but would recommend to anyone with allergy concerns to strongly consider mattress materials that have been tested by an organization such as CertiPur (or less commonly others such as Oeko-Tex) for VOC’s (offgassing). Some people who are much more sensitive than others or who have specific health conditions such as MCS (multiple chemical sensitivities) may still be sensitive to some foam materials that are CertiPur certified, while for most people they would be “safe enough”. This would be more common with memory foam, less common with polyfoam, and least common of all with latex.

You may consider looking at natural fibers, latex, and innersprings in various combinations; have you researched/ tried a mattress with more of a natural story? Looking forward to hearing more on which way you go :wink: .

Thanks,
Sensei

Hello,

Thank you so much for the link and information. I’ll check it out. It may be the fire retardants used that are the issue. My mattress prior to this nightmare didn’t have any fire retardant.

Thank you,
Jewels