Jameson Latex mattress

Is the 100 % latex natural in the Jameson mattress? If it’s a blend ,do people have problems with a chemical smell like headaches? I’m looking at the Admiral Q, price quoted is $1799. Is that good for Pensacola Fl,? Mattress outlet has 3 latex beds- Lady Lark - too soft, Admiral -might like a little firmer, which they say the Cloudwing is supposed to be . To me it seems softer than the Admiral.

Hi wantosleep,

The first place I would start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Jamison mattresses generally use blended Talalay latex which is a high quality material but if you are ever uncertain about the materials in any mattress you are considering then it’s always important to make sure you find out the specifics about the type and quality of the materials in any mattress you are considering from the retailer or manufacturer you are dealing with (see this article).

There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here but all the latex you are likely to encounter (either Dunlop or Talalay made with either synthetic rubber, natural rubber, or a blend of both) has been certified for harmful substances and VOC’s by either Oeko-Tex Standard 100 or by Eco-Institut which are both very stringent testing standards so they would all be “safe” for almost everyone. There can always be some people who may be sensitive to any material but this is far less common with latex than with any other type of foam material (polyfoam or memory foam).

I don’t keep track of local prices for individual mattresses at all the hundreds of retailers in all the local lists around the forum (this would be more than anyone could keep up with in a constantly changing market) but the value of a mattress is always relative to the other specific mattresses you are comparing it to or are considering either locally or online regardless of which manufacturer makes it (they all have access to the same or very similar materials). I also don’t know which one is the best “match” for you (which is the most important part of value), any other accessories that are included (I would always make “mattress only” to “mattress only” comparisons), or any of the other criteria that are an important part of value to you so I’m not in the best position to assess whether a mattress is good value for you.

Price is only one part of the value of a mattress purchase (and in many cases not the most important part) but post #13 here has more about the most important parts of the value of a mattress purchase that can help you make meaningful value comparisons between mattresses. If other retailers in the area also carry the same mattress then you can also call them to ask them their “best price” for the same mattress. It would also be a good idea to make comparisons to other similar mattresses that have a similar design (including some of the online manufacturers that are linked in the tutorial post) which you can uses as a “value” reference. In very general terms though … Jamison tends to be better quality/value than the major brands (which I would avoid) but may not be in the “best” value range compared to some other similar mattresses but again this always depends on what else is available to you or you are considering and how they compare to each other based on the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

The first step in assessing value is to make sure that a mattress is a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, pressure relief, and Personal preferences) using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post. This would narrow your choices down to one (at least at that store). If a mattress isn’t a good match for you and you don’t sleep well on it then regardless of it’s price it would have little value to you.

The next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase (and the part that I can help with) is the quality of the materials inside the mattress. Jamison is fairly transparent and lists most of the materials in their latex or latex hybrid mattresses on their site (if you click on the “mattress unit” tab on their website descriptions) except for the quality/density of the polyfoam in the support cores of their latex/polyfoam hybrids which are generally 1.8 lbs. The Lady Lark here (which is an all latex mattress) and the Admiral here (which is a latex/polyfoam hybrid), and the Cloudwing here (also a latex/polyfoam hybrid but with less latex than the Admiral) all use good quality and durable materials and there are no weak links in any of them (see the guidelines here).

While the firmness of a mattress is very subjective and different people can have very different opinions about how different mattresses compare … for most people the Cloudwing would probably feel firmer than the Admiral but how it feels for you and how well it matches your specific needs and preferences in terms of PPP is always more important than how it may feel for anyone else.

Overall though … Jamison would usually be among the “better” quality/value choices compared to most of the mainstream mattresses that most consumers end up purchasing.

Phoenix

Thank you so much! I will look into all your comments!