Jordan's Furniture mattress factory - lanai

:dry: My husband and I went to Jordan’s furniture today and test drove their latex foam lanai (Jordan’s Furniture | Not Just A Store, An Experience). Before pulling the trigger, I wanted to do a bit more research, but can’t find anything really substantial. Your site is amazing, and I would greatly appreciate and feedback you have on the lanai mattress.

Hi Derse,

You can see the specs of the Lanai here and to their credit they include the type and quality of all the materials and layers in the mattress.

Quilt:
Double stretch knit Jacquard cover
FR Fibers
1/2" Bio based foam 1.2 density
1/2" Bio based foam 1.2 density

Comfort Layers:
1" 100% Natural Talalay Latex 24ILD
1" Bio based convoluted foam 1.2LB
1" 100% Natural Talalay Latex 28ILD
2" 100% Natural Talalay Latex 24ILD

Support System:
6" Bio based 1.8lb poly core

As you can see from the guidelines here … most of the materials are good quality (blended Talalay latex and 1.8 lb polyfoam base layer) but there is more than “about an inch or so” of lower density/quality materials in the upper layers of the mattress mixed in with the better quality materials. While it would certainly be a better choice than most mainstream mattresses … once you have 2" or more of low quality and less durable materials in the comfort layers and/or quilting layers then it could become a weak link in the mattress and this is “on the edge” and a little more than I would be comfortable with. I would be more comfortable with a mattress purchase that used a little less lower quality materials in the upper layers of the mattress (although I would probably choose the Lanai over most mainstream mattresses in the same budget range if I had no other options).

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … the tutorial post here has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice.

I’m not sure where you are exactly but once you get to step 3 in the tutorial then post #2 here would likely include a link to some of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

Hi all,

First of all, thanks to Pheonix for compiling all of this information on mattresses. I find mattress shopping super overwhelming so the information on this site was very helpful!

We had been sleeping on the same firm mattress for years. Over the past few years I noticed that I was waking up every day with pain in my hip and shoulder (I am a side sleeper). I also think I might have undiagnosed fibromyalgia. After researching mattresses for my daughter I started wondering if a better mattress might help me–which landed me on this site. After reading lots of comments I started to consider a latex mattress which I didn’t even know existed before coming here.

My husband and I visited Boston Bed and Jordans to look at mattresses wanting to take advantage of the local tax free promotions. My husband is a back sleeper and wasn’t sold on idea of latex or latex hybrid. We went to Boston Bed first and he didn’t like any of the latex mattresses. He hated the softer one (which I liked) but thought the firm one was okay (which I didn’t like). He didn’t mind the hybrid, but I wasn’t sold on it. We then went to Jordans and tested both memory foam and latex mattresses. Both of us didn’t mind the feel of the hybrid latex mattresses. We then tried the lanai latex mattress and both loved it. I actually was worried that it wouldn’t be a good fit for him (he is a stomach sleeper) and it seemed on the soft side to me but the salesperson had me look at his alignment on it and noted that it seemed similar to his alignment on the more firm hybrids.

We have now had the mattress for a week and are both sleeping really well on it. It took my husband a day or two to adjust but he seems to really like it now and I LOVE it. For the first time in years I am waking up without feeling hip and shoulder pain. My sister, who has similar ailments came over and tried the mattress and thinks it is amazing. She wants one but unfortunately just bought a mattress 2 months ago from mattress and is out of the guarantee period. She is now hoping to find a good latex topper but is nervous since her mattress has a softer cushion top that a topper isn’t a good idea.

In any case, since I loved being able to read about different options on your site, I thought it would be good for me to write in about my experience with the Lanai so far.

One quick question – I replaced my traditional flat pillow with a low profile “I love my pillow” lately but I am not crazy about it. Do you have any recommendations for pillows? I have a neck muscle spasm issue from a car accident years ago that pops up often and has gotten worse over the past year so a good pillow is important for me.

Thanks again for creating this great site!

Hi kas,

Thanks for the comments and feedback about the Lanai … I appreciate it. Its good to see that you are both doing well with it.

I don’t have any specific suggestions because pillow choices are too subjective and each person can have very different preferences but there is more information and feedback in the pillow thread here that should be helpful.

Phoenix