Jordan's mattress factory Rhodes

First, you are a godsend! thank you so much for your expertise and willingness to share your knowledge.
We are thinking of buying this mattress – here are the specs:
Name: Rhodes Latex
SKU: JMFB-20086
Collection: Jordan’s Mattress Factory Latex
Vendor: Jordan’s Mattress Factory
Mattress:75"L x 39"W x 12"H
Foundations:75"L x 39"W x 5.5"H
Mattress and Foundation dimensions are approximate
Quilt: Stretch knit cover with Max Breeze
FR Fibers
1/2" Soft Bio Based foam 1.2LB
1" Convoluted Bio Based foam 1.2LB
Comfort Layers: 1" 100% Latex Rubber 24ILD
1 1/4" Bio based convoluted foam 1.2LB
1" 100% Latex Rubber 28ILD
2" 100% Latex Rubber 24ILD
No Fillers
Support System: 6" Bio based 1.8lb poly core 23ILD
Power Base Compatible
Mattress Type: Latex,Power Base Compatible
Origin: Made in New England
I tend to like the feel of the latex better than the memory foam. The latex in this product is talalay.
What are your thoughts?
Thank you so much!
Pamela

Hi Pamelmac,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

You’re very welcome.

To their credit, Jordan’s is one of the few large retailers who will list the specifications of their mattresses.

The quilt uses some lower density 1.2 lb polyfoam (see the mattress durability guidelines here), but by quilting and precompressing it this can assist with lessening body impressions. There’s also 1.25" of 1.2lb convoluted polyfoam deeper within the mattress, and combined this gets a little close to the “inch or so” that I normally like to recommend for lower density materials, but because of the location of these foams you would probably be fine for someone in the 200 pounds or under category for this item, combined with the 1.8 lb polyfoam core.

You stated the latex used it Talalay latex, which is a good quality and durable material, but they don’t list if it is bended or natural, as I’d want to know that for help if I was going to be comparing this to other options I might have available to me.

I hope that information is helpful to you. Let me know if you have pother questions.

Phoenix

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions. I did have a question about the six-inch Biofoam Core. Even though it is 1.8 LB, it is 23 ILD. Seems to be a lower number than you recommend. The sales person was very upfront that the BioCore is a soy based foam. He also was upfront that the Talalay has some additional synthetics for consistency. He made a big deal about the hand poured versus Mountaintop continuous pour (I know Neal at spindle makes a pretty good case online for mountaintop) The Jordan’s was a very comfortable bed, however. And it is made in New England, in Brockton. We are also looking at Gardner’s soft support, 3 inch Talalay comfort layer and pocketed coils as a core. I intend to speak with spindle, Whorley, and mattress factory today. Thank you for your help!

Hi Pamelmac,

You’re welcome.

The density of 1.8 lb for the polyfoam core is the minimum I like to recommend, unless you’re considering something is a price-conscious range and are willing to accept the potential durability tradeoffs of a lower-density foam. If you’re in the 200 pounds or so and above range, I’d recommend at least a 2 lb density polyfoam core. While all of the layers of a mattress work together and we don’t know the compression modulus of the foam, the ILD of 23 for the polyfoam core is a bit on the softer end of the spectrum, that is certain.

This simply means that part of the polyol used to make the polyfoam is sourced from soy-based ingredients. This is very common in polyfoam manufactured in the USA, and not necessarily a point of quality.

The synthetic latex (SBR) isn’t added for consistency (all Talalay is generally quite consistent and he may have been mistakenly comparing the Talalay process to the Dunlop process), but for the characteristics in feel and performance is brings to the finished Talalay foam (and often lower pricing). If you’re curious, there is more about the difference between synthetic and natural latex in post #2 here. I would consider all latex to be a higher-quality and durable material.

I’m not sure what he was referring to by “hand poured”, as the liquid latex is distributed into the molds by a mixing head and the component mixture is controlled by a computer. Here is a video showing Talalay latex being made. Here is a video of the continuous pour Dunlop latex made by Mountaintop that is used in a Spindle mattress.

As you may be aware, Spindle and Gardner Mattress are members of this site which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency. Worley also has been making mattresses for quite some time and they offer very good knowledge.

I’ll be interested in learning about your trips and what you discovered.

Phoenix

Dear Phoenix:
When I look at the date of my last post, I can’t believe I am still researching mattresses. What an education! Time for an update in the hopes that others learn from my long journey!
I did go back to Jordan’s and I have to say that their sales people are very knowledgeable and each mattress has a tag that lists all of the components of the mattress. I did love a mattress there- the Santa Cruz: Stretch knit cover, 1/2 inch 1.2lb"biofoam," 1" 1.2lb convoluted foam, 1" 100% latex 24ILD, 2" 100% latex 28ILD, 2" 100% latex 24ILD, 6" biofoam core (2Ib, 27ILD). This bed was so comfortable but I am concerned about the biofoam core. This bed is one of the Jordan Factory Mattresses. It is made in Brockton at the Therapedic factory.
I also visited Spindle and was impressed with the full latex mattress just not sure I want to assemble myself. That is a personal preference. After visiting Gardner’s, the Mattress Maker, and Worley’s (a great experience at all three places), I find that as much as I want to love full latex, I keep coming back to latex over springs. I am a side sleeper and the full latex (Dunlop or Talalay) feels like it is not quite adjusting to by body the way I need. Mattress Maker in Brockton had a lovely 9 inch layered flippable Dunlop (C2, C3, C3) - my husband liked it but to me, it just seemed too inflexible. Again, personal preference. As an aside, Mattress Maker is an excellent alternative for those individuals who want the mattress maker to put the layers together for you (in contrast to Spindle). They will put any combination of layers together for you.
At this point, I have a question for you about the mattress I am considering. I am looking at the Brilliance Adjustable Hybrid that is at Worley. It is made by Gold Bond, stretch knit tencel cover, 2 inch 25ILD, 5lbs Dunlop (Vytex), heavy insulator pad, 968 Bolsa Spring System (13 1/2 gauge) with Quantum Edge Steel Perimeter, Heavy Fiberboard. This mattress is very comfortable and everything I looked up on the Gold Bond site was exactly the information Patrick Worley offered me (impressive!) My concern is whether 2 inches is enough latex. I am 5’6" about 140lbs and my husband is 6’2" 218lbs. Do you think we will have enough support?
Gardner has a similar bed- 2 inches of 28ILD Talalay over 915 pocket coils (15 gauge). The quilt cover is cotton- not sure if it is woven or knitted. Even though the latex is Talalay, it feels harder than the 2 inch Vytex on the Brilliance.
Additionally, I have been interested in trying a Talalay comfort layer, Dunlop core mattress but can’t seem to find anything but online sellers for this kind of product.

All of these mattress companies have been so helpful and have the patience of Job just like you do!
Thank you so much for all that you do!
Pamela

Hi Pamelamac,

The comfort material you’re considering (Dunlop latex) is a good quality and durable material. Regarding support, this item does use a good quality innerspring unit, and in general there should be no reason based upon the information you’ve provided to be worried about the overall deep support of this mattress. Regarding your surface comfort and if it is substantial enough for your preference, that is something that only you can determine through your own personal testing. In “typical” hybrid latex mattresses, 1.5"-2" tends to be the starting point, with 3" being quite common, but I wouldn’t be able to determine via an online forum if the combination offered in the Brilliance would be “enough” for you personally. I’d definitely suggest some more time testing out the product if it remains one of your “finalists”.

This mattress also uses good quality and durable materials. All of the layers of a mattress work together to create the overall feel, so the different innerspring, different latex and different cover will all contribute to the overall firmer feel that you experienced. As the comfort layer in the mattresses you’ve tested are thinner, the extra amount of initial travel that the pocketed coil spring units in these mattresses allow will have a more pronounced impact on surface comfort.

This is most often found in “component-style” mattresses, which are most commonly found online, from local mattress factories/manufacturers, or a few of the national brands that specialize in such systems that also show in brick and mortar locations. You may wish to see if there is a Savvy Rest retailer near your home, as you can create a sample of a Dunlop/Talalay combo with their systems to test. Note that component-style systems are meant to be shipped in layers (like the Spindle) and you would assemble those on your own.

And thank you for your kind note in the other thread.

Phoenix