Jordon’s Akashi Chill Touch

I was wondering what you all thought about the Akashi chill touch latex bed from Jordon’s. I was deciding between that and the iComfort Limited Edition model. I felt that I needed something a bit more firm.

Thanks to all those who respond. I have to pick it up on Friday, but I was thinking of ordering from a different supplier online, so any insight you provide is immensely helpful.

Hi rhemy1, and welcome to The Mattress Underground :slight_smile:
Happy to have you here with us.

As you likely know, a mattress is unique to the sleepers using it, based on their stats (height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health issues, and the sleepers’ PPP - Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences. As I am not sure what you’ve read since finding the Mattress Underground website it’s worth mentioning that when searching for a new mattress, it’s always advisable to first review the
mattress specifications you need to know, as well as the mattress durability guidelines, to know what to expect in terms of mattress longevity and how long you can reasonably expect to sleep well without the
mattress losing its initial comfort feel and supportive properties.
Also, you can see ourmattress shopping tutorial to gain some insight on what to know when searching for a mattress.

You do not provide any of your stats, but the two mattresses you mention are quite different. The Jordon’s Akashi Chill Touch has two one-inch latex layers of 24 and 28 ILD (indentation load deflection) which are good quality materials and will last for a long time which they consider a ‘medium-firm comfort level’ on their scale. They do provide the density of the polyfoam layers as 1.8lbs/cuft which is considered lower density for higher weight individuals. The Serta iComfort limited edition mattress, on the other hand, is comprised of layers of gel memory foam of unknown composition, density, or thickness which is common among the larger retailers, and the lack of transparency in the details of their components can mean these are possibly inexpensive, low quality foams… higher thicknesses of low density foams can be a ‘red flag’ in that they will likely ‘break down’ prematurely which can cause weak spots or divots on the mattress, that can cause sleepers discomfort, spinal and joint misalignments.
(10")Serta iComfort limited edition
Cool touch cover
gel foam unknown density or thickness (Fuze)
gel memory foam unknown density or thickness (Fuze)
Comfort level plush by their scale … As you are looking for something more firm this may not be the best of the two options in terms of comfort.

You can see inPost #12 herewhere Phoenix discusses some of the major mattress retailers. It’s good to be informed when making an important purchase like a new mattress…all this being said, as it sounds like you have tried these two mattresses in person, it comes down first to how durable each mattress will be and then to how comfortable you are on each of them when testing.
I can’t say anything about which of the 2 mattresses you are considering would fit you better in terms of comfort and support but in terms of durability the Jordon’s Akashi is a much better option as you don’t really know much about the quality of the foams in Serta.

Since you say you may ‘order from a different supplier online’ you might want to consider the offerings of theTrusted members of the site. Most of these offer online sales, and are excellent at providing consumers with mattress that are right for them, with quality construction, transparency in materials used and great customer support; If you provide some relevant information on your stats and preferences, and experiences with mattresses you have tried out, they can provide a durable comfortable solution for your sleep system needs.

Basilio

Thank you Basilica! I’ll research the trusted members and try out the Akashi.

Thank you Basilica! I’ll research the trusted members and try out the Akashi.

Do you have a suggestion for a full latex mattress no coils. I weigh 226 lbs and tend to sleep on ever side. I’m 5’ 11"

Admin Note:Two posts in one consolidation

Hi rhemy1,

It is difficult to make any suggestions with certainty, as again a mattresses comfort and ability to provide support while you sleep is unique to you having a unique body type and needs and preferences. Thanks for providing additional stats; I will say that at a higher BMI, while you’ll need to put a special emphasis on more durable materials and constructions and probably on mattresses that are thicker have firmer comfort and support layers (firmer materials feel softer for heavier people and firmer support layers are usually important to for good alignment for higher weights). I would especially make sure you read Post #2 here that has some generic guidelines for different body types and sleeping positions and post #14 here has more about the benefits of thicker comfort layers and thicker mattresses. You will likely want to look at firmer-feeling mattresses to provide enough support and prevent any misalignment in your spine or joint pain, but not that firm that it created pressure points since you are a side sleeper. This is to say that I would definitely run all of this summarized info by the retailer/manufacturer themselves as they are the best to know how their mattresses and designs work with different body types, weights, and sleeping positions. Which is why it is so important to speak with someone knowledgeable rather than be given a “script response” from a sales rep that has little to no experience with how the mattress works.

Since it sounds like you are leaning towards an all latex mattress, some options from TMU trusted members list would include a DIY mattress construction under the direct supervision of a trusted member such as DIY Mattress, who allow you to create your own customized mattress, they have 2" and 3" layers of both Dunlop(this a denser, firmer latex with a ‘bouncy’ feel) and Talalay (A softer more responsive feel in case you like that better) of various firmness levels, allowing you to use for example, a Talalay layer at the top for comfort, with Dunlop below to provide support. By providing them your stats and sleeping preferences they can create a layered latex mattress which you can place on a base like a platform or adjustable bed frame.

Member Latex Mattress Factory specializes in mattresses for plus sized people and are extremely skilled in guiding consumers to good fit mattress on the DIY construction model, I would go for something with 10" of more of firmer natural latex mattress. (On the call I would make sure to mention the base model construction that you tested in the shop and liked) so that they get a better sense I’d start with these two and then see what other similar options you can find from other members that best fit your personal criteria (price, returns, warranties, and all else that is important to you) such asFlexus Comfort and CozyPure, who likewise offer all-latex mattresses. I have included a list below of all the trusted members who offer all-latex mattresses:

Arizona Premium

All Natural Dunlop & Talalay Latex Mattresses

Arizona SleepEZ

Natural Latex Mattress

Organic Latex Mattress

Bay Bed & Mattress

Mattresses

BioSleep Concept

Restnest Quilted 9" Latex Mattress

Chambord 7" Latex Mattress

Versailles 9" Latex Mattress

Amboise 12" Latex Mattress

CBH Wood Furniture

Talalay Latex Mattress

CozyPure

Latex Mattresses

DIY Mattress

DIY Latex Mattress

DIY Natural Bedding

DIY Organic Latex Mattresses

Dormio Organic Beds

Organic Latex Mattress

Flexus Comfort Mattress

Natural Latex Mattress

Organic Latex Mattress

FloBeds

Natural Latex Mattress

Big&Tall Latex Mattress

Organic Vegan Latex Mattress

Foam Sweet Foam

Urban Green Latex Mattress

Fox Mattress

Deluxe Latex Mattress

Gardner Mattress

Organic Harmony Latex

Organic Ultra Luxe

GhostBed

GhostBed Natural

Latex Mattress Factory

Luxerion Latex Mattress

DIY Latex Mattress

Luma Sleep

Original Luma Mattress

All Latex Slumber System

Mattress Makers

Natural Latex Mattresses

Mattress To Go

Therapedic Pure Touch Afterglow Latex Ultra-Plush

Therapedic Pure Touch Canopy Latex Plush

Therapedic Pure Touch Mist Latex Firm

MFC

Organic Latex Mattresses

My Green Mattress

Hope Latex Mattress

Nest Bedding

Finch Natural Latex

Piper certified Organic Latex

Oklahoma Mattress Company

Talalay Latex Mattresses

Richmond Bedding

Savvy Rest Organic Latex mattress

Shepherd’s Dream

Cascade Latex Mattress

Shovlin Mattress Factory

Nirvana Latex Mattress

Sleeping Organic

Custom Natural Latex Mattress

Spindle Mattress

Organic Latex Mattress

Texas Mattress Makers

Latex Mattresses

The Beloit Mattress Company

Latex Mattresses

The Mattress Factory

Nature Rest 10" Latex Mattress

It’s good to see that you started by eliminating the worst contenders then deciding the basics – the feel and firmness you want in a mattress, what materials or options you do or don’t want (like ‘no coils’) You are on the good track. Let us know how far you go and we’ll be happy to make additional comments on any of the mattresses you are considering.

Basilio