Just bought a new mattress - need some insight from experts (Phoenix)/Buyers

First of all, this forum/site is a lifesaver (or backsaver in this case). A huge thank you to the admins and users who post to it!

I was JUST about to buy a Stearns and Foster hybrid mattress for 2400 dollars at Mattress Warehouse. figured I’d look up some reviews onlien first, came across this site, and quickly decided to say no to S&F (as well as the other major lines like Sealy and Serta)!

Anyway, I live in zip code 26508. (West Virginia). Based on Phoenix’s posts, I need to find a reputable local dealer - but I wasn’t having any luck on this site.

Then i found Phoenix’s response to a fellow poster who said he lived in WV. Seemingly, the one good option Phoenix found within driving distance of me (within an hour) was a place called Delanos Furniture in Reedsville, WV. So, I called, made an appointment, and went over there today.

First of all, Phoenix, you were right in the post you wrote a while ago to a fellow West Virginian. The owner/mattress guy there knows his craft… He was a pleasure to deal with - and my wife and I walked out of there after ordering a new king size mattress!

However, I do need some help here - this is the mattress we bought (again, in the king size):

anybody out there who has any experience with this brand of mattress? i am hoping to get some insight on this one since it will be a few weeks before its ready to be delivered.

Is this brand good? well constructed? I was dumb and forgot to get the exact figures (density of foam, etc) while I was there, which is exactly what Phoenix said to do in his posts. I was so enamored with the mattress when i laid on it that my brain went out the window and I just ordered it.

It is a bit on the firm side, but I had back surgery two years ago, and my doctor said i really need a firm mattress for my lingering problems. I like the feel of it anyway; i’m mostly a back sleeper.

If Phoenix or someone out there can give me any insight in terms of the brand, as well as construction of this mattress, i would appreciate it.

i think the deal was fair - 2000 plus tax.

also - i have a platform bed. this mattress is very tall, and when combined with the box springs, not much of the headboard will even be visible.

with a platform bed, are the box springs even necessary can i just but the box springs in storage? or should the box springs be used, no matter what the bed type is? i keep reading different things about box springs being necessary/not necessary with platform beds.

thanks so much in advance for your time!

Hi anchorman,

I’m glad that the site was able to help you avoid major brands!

While you’ve already seen this … for the sake of others who read your post from the same area I’m guessing the list you found was the one in post #6 here. I also updated the description for Delanos since they now carry Imperial Bedding and Perceptive Sleep (HSM Bedding Solutions).

You can see some comments about Imperial Bedding in post #6 here and post #10 here.

There is also more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here.

I would keep in mind that you aren’t buying the brand and would only be buying one of many mattresses that they make and most manufacturers make many mattresses that have a range or prices and quality so outside of how suitable any mattress is for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) the most important part of the “value” of a mattress purchase is the type, quality, and durability of the materials inside it and how it compares to the other mattresses you are considering based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are important to you regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label.

It sounds like you have tested the mattress for PPP (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) but I don’t know the specifics of the materials in the mattress and without this information there really isn’t any way to make any meaningful comments about a mattress in terms of quality and durability. If you can provide the information listed here and post it on the forum then I’d be happy to make some comments about the quality of the materials and the mattress as a whole.

Having said that when you are dealing with a good local manufacturer the odds are higher that they are using better quality materials in their mattresses and I believe your mattress is two sided which would increase the durability of the mattress as well (see post #3 here) but I would still want to confirm the type and quality/density of the materials inside it.

There is more about the different types of support systems that are generally suitable for different types of mattresses in the foundation post here but your mattress is two sided and was designed for use as part of a system with a box spring that provides some flex underneath it (see here) so it would generally be a better choice to use a two sided mattress on the box spring that was designed for it but you could also check with the retailer (or Imperial Bedding) to see if putting the mattress directly on your platform bed and the distance between the slats would be suitable for supporting your mattress and would meet their warranty criteria.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thanks again for your help!

I have fired off an email to the store asking them to respond with the info I need about bed. I will reply to this post with the info they fire back at me about the mattress. Hopefully that will be Friday!

Again, you’re awesome.

Phoenix,

I just got a response from Kent, the salesman from the store I went to (Delanos Furniture):

“We totally understand your concerns of quality.
Keep in mind a mattress is no different than anything else you purchase or use. No matter the quality, items will show sign of wear the more you use them. A mattress, especially a pillow top, will show body impressions. A mattress set will eventually need replaced. The 900 has a 20 year warranty. The mattress cover{fabric} is not under warranty. The warranty applies to the workman ship and the usability of the interior mattress components. A 1.5”- 2" indentation in the top is considered a defect and replacement will be issued. A string test across the mattress is used to measure the depth of the “impression”.
These mattress sets are the highest of quality you will find.
The 900 model is a firm bed. Most mattress sets, these days, are too soft for a quality nights rest. Some folks have a tough time adjusting to a firmer mattress because they have spent most of their lives on a wore out mattress or very inferior foam and spring units. This model will give you proper support with the pocketed coil and the high quality foam. It is not a plush soft set and will not soften a great deal.

I hope we have answered your questions and concerns.

Kent

8" pocket coil 1155 coils 15 ga wire
2" high resilient foam 21 Lb compression
1.5". Of 1.5 density foam quilted to a Culp polyster stretch knit cover
All on both sides
Easy as pie"

So Phoenix, is this enough information to reliably understand the mattress/what it’s made from/know how well made it is?

Thank you for your help!

Hi anchorman,

I don’t know if they are side stepping your questions or if they just don’t know (although they could call the factory to find out) but I would want to know the quality/density of the 2" layer of polyfoam to make sure that it meets the guidelines here (which in the case of a two sided mattress would be 1.5 lb density or higher). The 21 lb compression spec they provided is a “comfort spec” which indicates the firmness/softness of the layer not the density of the layer which is the most important factor in its durability.

While it’s fairly likely that it does … I personally don’t like to “assume” anything when it comes to purchasing a mattress.

I also noticed that their website description here indicates that this mattress has 1" of high resilient foam while the specs they provided you says that it includes 2" of high resilient foam although the 2" would mean that the layers added up to just under the 16" thickness of the mattress which would make more sense when you consider the thickness of the cover and any fire barrier in the mattress would likely make up the missing 1".

Phoenix

I just fired off another email to the seller expressing these concerns.

thanks phoenix… i’ll post here when i get a reply. i’ll be sure to donate via paypal to this site when this is all over.

Hi anchorman,

I hope you are able to find out the information you need (either directly from the retailer or from Imperial Bedding) and I’m looking forward to finding out whether your enquiries are successful. It always seems somewhat odd to me when a retailer or a manufacturer isn’t willing to provide this type of information to their customers who are educated enough to know to ask … especially when it would probably show that they are using higher quality/density materials than much of their competition.

Phoenix

well, i just got a response today. here is the response:

“Top is quilted to 1.5” thick Poly It is 1.5 density foam plus a 3/4 once layer of Rayon to make it fire retardant ea. side
pillow top has 1 layer of 2" that is 2.5 density polyfoam 21lb. Compression ea. side
under the pillow top is 1 layer 1/2" poly foam 21 lb. compression ea.side
On top of the springs is a grey cloth much like the cloth on a box spring ea. side"

any feedback?

Hi anchorman,

The only significant “missing layer” in your previous description was the 2" layer of high resilient foam and the information they provided confirms that it is 2.5 lb density which is a very high quality and durable material that exceeds the guidelines here.

So the layers from top to bottom are …

1.5". Of 1.5 density foam and a 3/4" rayon fire barrier quilted to a Culp polyster stretch knit cover
2" high resilient 2.5 lb polyfoamfoam 21 Lb compression
1/2" polyfoam 21 lb. compression
Grey gloth
8" pocket coil 1155 coils 15 ga wire
Grey cloth
1/2" polyfoam 21 lb. compression
2" high resilient 2.5 lb polyfoamfoam 21 Lb compression
1.5". Of 1.5 density foam and a 3/4" rayon fire barrier quilted to a Culp polyster stretch knit cover

Overall these are all materials that are suitable for a two sided mattress and there are no weak links in the design so if it’s a good match for you in terms of PPP then it would certainly be well worth considering.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thank you for your reply. i appreciate your help in this matter. Cant say enough about how informative and helpful you have been, as well as this forum in general.

Also, for anyone in West Virginia: Kent at Delano Furniture went out of his way to help me get the info I was looking for. I’m sure i came off as a pain in the butt customer, but he found out what i asked, and I’m looking forward to having this Imperial mattress in a few weeks.

So, Kent and the team at Delano are high.y recommended. Its hard to find a knowledgable salesman and a quality mattress store in WV (all of thrm just seem to be chain stores with salesmen who dont really understand anything about mattresses aside from what the companies tell them to say), but from my experience so far, Kent/Delano are highly recommended.

Hi anchorman,

It took a little bit of time and effort to get there but it’s great to see that Kent at Delano was able to provide you with all the information you needed to make an informed decision and confirm that you were making a good quality and durable choice.

Most importantly … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to any comments and feedback you have the chance to share once you’ve had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

it will be a week or two before it arrives… it had to be ordered from imperial - but once i sleep on it for a few nights, i will be sure to leave feedback on here!

on a different note…any recommendations for a good material to lay down on my hardwood steps to protect them from scuffs and scratches while moving the mattress up to the bedroom/the old mattress downstairs?

I bought some drop cloth… which seems good for flat surfaces… but not good for protecting edges of steps and risers.

just figured i’d ask if you have any recommendations for a material/product that is a little flexible, but will also be enough to protect the steps.

thanks!

Hi anchorman,

[quote]on a different note…any recommendations for a good material to lay down on my hardwood steps to protect them from scuffs and scratches while moving the mattress up to the bedroom/the old mattress downstairs?

I bought some drop cloth… which seems good for flat surfaces… but not good for protecting edges of steps and risers.

just figured i’d ask if you have any recommendations for a material/product that is a little flexible, but will also be enough to protect the steps.[/quote]

I don’t have any specific suggestions and it’s not my area of expertise but a google search on protecting hardwood stairs during a move turned up some good suggestions including here and here and here that may be helpful.

Phoenix

just got the mattress delivered - feels great so far. have a couple of weeks to try it out.

since i have a platform bed, i put the box springs in storage. i am using a piece of pegboard instead beneath the mattress to give the mattress the support it needs. i figured pegboard would be better than a piece of plywood since the little holes in the pegboard will give the mattress some breathe-ability.

Again, many thanks Phoenix. And again, if you live in southeast PA or North Central WV, go to Delano’s in Preston County. Kent is great there - very patient with me, and and worked with the mattress manufacturer to get all the info i needed. Smooth delivery too.

Hi anchorman,

Thanks for taking the time to share an update with your initial feedback … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

If the slats in your platform bed are too far apart and you need a more evenly supportive surface then I would agree that pegboard would be a better choice and provide better airflow under the mattress than plywood.

I’m looking forward to any further updates you have the chance to share once you’ve had the chance to sleep on your mattress for a few weeks.

Phoenix

i have five slats/thin boards that go across the the bed frame for support. evenly spaced apart. but the delivery people still recommended a piece of plywood or pegboard. they said due to weight/size of mattress, they didn’t recommend just the slats.

i talked to one of the Imperial Bedding reps about my platform bed before delivery, and he told the box springs on my platform bed was completely unnecessary.

like i said, though, i still got the box springs - they are low profile, and still in the plastic wrap. put em in the basement - they’ll stay there until i buy a new bed sometime in the future. if its not a platform bed, i’ll need the box springs at that point.

Hi anchorman,

A bedframe with only 5 slats would definitely need a foundation or a more solid support surface since they aren’t designed to be used directly under a mattress. If your pegboard is relatively thin then I would keep an eye on it to make sure that it doesn’t start sagging in between the widely spaced slats over time since it also may not be strong enough to maintain a flat support surface without sagging.

Phoenix

Slats can bow, even with thick plywood on top. An easy fix to make the slats stay flat and firm would be to convert them into T-slats.

If you are going to use pegboard, I agree with Phoenix that you should consider using more slats.

good advice. thank you for that. i will have to watch for that. i might just plan on checking the pegboard every 6 months to see if they need replaced. if that does happen, i might even drag the box springs up and put them on. we shall see.

is it ok to just have the pegboard laying on top of the slats? i notice the pegboard can move around a little underneat h mattress. is it advisable to nail the pegboard to the wooden slat boards?

thanks for the advice. i think i will make two additional slats…that should help i would think. or is that not enough?