Just bought KING organic Latex bed/ Canada

Just delivered 3 days ago, a UNISON Organic Latex Mattress! So far, it’s been wonderful to sleep on, not too soft and not too firm. I hardly notice when my husband moves in bed or get’s up. It’s not hot to sleep on either. Came with a 25 year warranty, but with “conditions”. The warranty sheet states " The warranty does not apply to: Normal body signature of 1 and 1/2 inches deep or less, firmness preference, torn foam, etc".
Body impressions have been the problem with the last two innerspring King beds we’ve owned. After carefully researching latex beds on Mattress Underground, then going out and testing actual mattress’s, we purchased the Unison. I was disappointed reading that UNISON’s warranty doesn’t cover 1 and 1/2 inch body impressions! My question is … Is this “standard practise” to mention the body impression possibility? Will I probably feel/notice body impressions in future? It has me a little worried as the mattress and box spring cost was approaching 3T. Any comments on this would be appreciated.
I will provide comments again when we’ve had the mattress for a couple of months or more.

Hi Bedlooking,

[quote]Came with a 25 year warranty, but with “conditions”. The warranty sheet states " The warranty does not apply to: Normal body signature of 1 and 1/2 inches deep or less, firmness preference, torn foam, etc".
Body impressions have been the problem with the last two innerspring King beds we’ve owned. After carefully researching latex beds on Mattress Underground, then going out and testing actual mattress’s, we purchased the Unison. I was disappointed reading that UNISON’s warranty doesn’t cover 1 and 1/2 inch body impressions! My question is … Is this “standard practise” to mention the body impression possibility? Will I probably feel/notice body impressions in future?[/quote]

This is standard practice in the industry yes. Mattress warranties have little to do with the useful life of a mattress and only cover defects in a mattress or the materials (which tend to show up early in the life of a mattress) and not the foam softening and/or the gradual loss of comfort and support which is the main reason that people will need to buy a new mattress (see post #174 here).

Many latex mattresses have a .75" exclusion in the warranty and all mattress materials including latex will have some minimal impressions over time but with mattresses that have a quilted cover the quilting material will also compress to some degree over time so the exclusions are usually larger. A 1.5" - 2" exclusion would be “standard” with many other types of mattresses. Your warranty has a 12 year non prorated period so this is the “real” length of the warranty (after that you pay at least 50% of the cost of the mattress fior a warranty claim) and this is longer than the industry standard which is usually 10 years or less.

Latex is one of the most durable materials in the industry and the most reliable way to assess the durability of a mattress is by knowing the quality and durability of the materials inside it so outside of defects it’s unlikely that you would see a warranty issue or sagging or significant impressions with a high quality latex mattress.

While there is no way to quantify how long any mattress will last for any particular person, if a mattress is well inside a suitable comfort/support range and isn’t close to the edge of being too soft when it is new and meets the minimum quality specs that are suggested in the guidelines here then it would be reasonable to expect a useful lifetime in the range of 7 - 10 years and with higher quality and more durable materials like latex or higher density memory foam or polyfoam (in the comfort layers especially) it would likely be in the higher end of the range or even longer.

It’s always more realistic to think of about 10 years as a maximum reasonable expectation for any mattress no matter what the quality or durability of the materials and then treat any additional time after that as “bonus time” because after about 10 years the limiting factor in the useful life of a mattress will often be the changing needs and preferences of the person sleeping on the mattress and even if a mattress is still in good condition after a decade … a mattress that was suitable for someone 10 years earlier may not be the best “match” any longer.

Having said that … with higher quality materials throughout a mattress and/or for people whose needs and preferences or physical condition or body type hasn’t changed much over 10 years then “bonus time” or even “extended bonus time” with higher quality/density and more durable materials like latex is much more likely than with less durable materials and there are many people who have slept well on their latex mattress for several decades.

Most importantly … congratulations on your new mattress :). I think you made a great quality and very durable choice (and my daughter who also purchased a Nature’s Embrace Dunlop latex mattress several years ago and loves it would agree as well).

Phoenix

Hi Bedlookingrant,

The UNISON is a high quality Dunlop organic mattress with 100% organic cotton cover. You should have no warranty issues with your mattress from Nature’s Embrace because of the superior quality of the materials used in the construction of the mattress. We have been dealing with this company for over 10 years, they have integrity and are trustworthy. You can be assured that if ever you have any concerns or questions, they will address them promptly and with care.

Congratulation on your purchase, its great that you bought a Canadian made product!