Just starting to search

Thanks Phoenix. Because you referenced a specific # article I initially missed your post. I’m looking at the list right now. Bear mattress has caught my attention along with a few others. Thanks.

Hi mdgail1,

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around Las Vegas (subject to making sure that any mattress you consider meets the quality/value guidelines I linked) are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Yes, I did see those recommendations but didn’t really like any of those that were mentioned. I will continue to watch the forums here and add a few more as others are mentioned. However, I may have all I need between the additional 3 or 4 added to my list. Thanks a bunch.

Hi mdgail1,

Some local testing can give you a better sense of the types of materials that you tend to prefer even if you don’t make a purchase locally. You certainly have many great quality/value online choices available to you (probably more than you need to choose from) but knowing the types of materials or mattresses that you tend to prefer can be helpful when you are trying to narrow them down.

Phoenix

Yes, that is true. Thanks again.

Ok, so I think these are the ones I will work with for now.

Bear Mattress
Brooklyn Bedding
Helix Sleep
KISS Mattress
Loom & Leaf by Saatva
Nest Bedding Alexander

If anyone watching this thread has any opinion about the beds I’ve mentioned your opinion is certainly welcome. I’d love to hear exactly what exactly set apart the bed that you purchased from all the others?

I think I’m going to drop Loom & Leaf from the list just based on the materials and some things I’ve read. So, that leaves me with:

Bear Mattress
Brooklyn Bedding
Helix
KISS Mattress
Nest Bedding

Now I have to say that I really like the Celiant technology as well as the graphite layer that Bear mattress is using. I think they’ve done their homework and may have a good product. It’s certainly worth my consideration.

Brooklyn Bedding and KISS Mattresses are both at the top of my list because they are the closest to natural that I am going to find without the huge sticker price. Yes, they aren’t 100% pure but both use latex in the form of dunlop or talalay to create a great sleep and may last longer then the competition.

Helix, who is high on my list, is the most unique vendor of them all. They have left nothing to chance. They have an online customization because they know each person is unique. They will customize your bed based on body type, age, and other factors to give you a mattress that is created just for you. How can you go wrong with this, right? Again, they are a new company but definitely worth researching more.

Finally we have the Alexander by Nest Bedding. I think this mattress may be pricier then the rest. Honestly, this one isn’t speaking to me but I’m leaving it at the bottom spot for more research. I know some people have this mattress and love it and that’s why I’m still considering it.

So, this is all I have for now. I’ll continue to update you as I get closer. I am in Maryland right now and will be in NY next week. Bear was kind enough to tell me where their loft is and told me to call ahead so I can visit. They have also been super responsive to every comment and question I have asked of them. So, my first review will probably be of their mattress because it is the first one I will actually test out.

Hi mdgail1,

You certainly have some good finalists to choose from although they include quite a wide range of different types of comfort materials. I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding once you’ve had the chance to talk with each of them.

Once you are down to finalists that are all choices between “good and good” and none of them have any lower quality materials or “weak links” in their design and if there are no clear winners between them (which is usually a good indication that you have done some very good research) then you are in the fortunate position that either of them would likely be a suitable choice and post #2 here can help you make a final choice based on your local testing or mattresses you have slept well on, your more detailed conversations with each of them, your confidence about PPP and the suitability of each one, their prices, your preferences for different types of materials, the options you have after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or exchange or return the mattress or individual layers, any additional extras that are part of each purchase, and on “informed best judgement” based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Ok, after careful review I have narrowed down my list a bit more. The remaining companies and/or beds with pricing are listed below.

Brooklyn Bedding Queen Medium firmness $750
Helix Sleep Queen customized mattress $900
Kiss Mattress Queen $795
Nelson Alexander Queen $1,199

I decided to remove the Bear Mattress for person reasons which I will explain quickly. All of the other mattresses above have options for softness that is important to me.

Bear Mattress is a one softness or one type fits all. Now, I love all of the technology this company is using, which ranges from celiant technlogy to the graphite layer of foam, but my concern is that they have decided, like Casper, that one bed is perfect for everyone. They didn’t give me a choice and I, as the consumer, have the final say in what mattress my body shall lay upon.

Brooklyn Bedding offers a soft, medium and firm mattress to choose from.

Helix Mattress is completely customized so the mattress I order for me will be different from the mattress you order for you.

Kiss Mattress offers a plush and a firm option.

Kiss Mattress Queen Plush $795

Nelson Bedding Alexander Queen $1,199
( Nelson Bedding does offer two options. There is the love bed, which is softer, and the Alexander, which is a medium firmness)

So, as you can see, the Bear Mattress, while unique, must decide what it really wants to become. Will it be a slghtly better, one type fits all mattress with unique technlogy? Or, will it eventually realize, like Kiss, that most people fall under two types: plush or firm.

The good news, for me, is that I can test out all of these beds and don’t have to go to the East Coast for any. Kiss and Brooklyn are in AZ and Nelson has a showroom in Los Angeles. Helix does have a warehouse in NY but there are no mattress to test since there are virtually hundreds of configurations that can be created for you alone based on your age, body type, etc.

I will update this document after I have scheduled appointments to check out the three remaining. Helix, of course, remains a strong contender because, as mentioned, it is completely customized. And, if you look at the pricing you’ll see that it’s not the most expensive mattress either. It falls in between the Kiss and the Nelson. Price is not the deciding factor though. Comfort is.

Hi mdgail1,

It sounds like you are gradually narrowing down your finalists but of course you still have a little way to go to get down to your final choice. Once again I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding.

[quote]Nelson Bedding Alexander Queen $1,199
( Nelson Bedding does offer two options. There is the love bed, which is softer, and the Alexander, which is a medium firmness)[/quote]

I think that you may mean “Nest Bedding” rather than “Nelson Bedding”?

Phoenix

Phoenix, you’re right. I was just watching Treehouse Masters before this post and had Pete Nelson on my brain. LOL

Narrowed down my list to the following.

Bear Mattress
Helix
KISS Mattress

I’m not really sure about Bear but I’m still intrigued by their Celiant technology.

Brooklyn Bedding has been removed from my final list. They’re a good company, but not for me.

Helix I do love. They are the only ones who will create a completely customized mattress just for you based on size, weight, and several other questions. Honestly, I wish other companies would offer this same kind of technlogy to bring us a customized mattress for under a thousand dollars.

Kiss Mattress. What can I say? They have always been on the top of my list because I knew of them long before I know of the other companies. If I go with the Helix for my bedroom I will probably buy a KISS Mattress for the guestroom.

Of course, I didn’t even mention my children. They will each get the unique pleasure of choosing their own bed. I told them all that they should come here, read the reviews, check out the mattresses and I’ll even let them call the companies. I want them to be happy with their choice since it’s their mattress for the next ten years.

I hope my thread isn’t annoying to anyone. I know choosing a mattress is unique for each individual. I just wanted to keep you all updated based on my individual choices. Oh, and Helix now offers the opportunity to test out a mattress customized just for you right on the spot. Since I’m on the east coast for a month or so I will probably make a trip to their NY factory.

Hi mdgail,

At least you are down to three now from your four finalists in August (although they have changed a bit). I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding.

You can also get mattress protectors with Celliant (see here).

Phoenix

Thanks for the tip Phoenix. I didn’t know about those mattress protectors with Celiant.

You are a fountain of knowledge.

Cheers,

Mark

Finally decided for me, but with one caveat. And the mattress I have decided on may surprise many. What I finally decided on is a futon mattress that comes directly from Japan. The one I am buying is a thick mattress and will sit on a platform bed that accommodates futon mattresses. I haven’t finished though. What my boys choose may be different from what I have chosen so time will tell. However, one thing that I decided on is to buy a latex mattress for my mom. She is in desperate need and thelatexmattressfactory will meet her needs, but not mine. One of the biggest problems that we vegans have is finding a mattress that does not contain any wool. And sadly the powers that be feel that will provide some safety from fires and this is why wool often turns up in the covering for natural mattresses. I do understand this and it presents me with some challenges. However, I want my mom to have a healthy, safe mattress that will give her years of comfort and i believe that a quality latex mattress from them.

Oh, and if you want to know who i have chosen for my futon, I will gladly share that information with you. I chose futonbedsfromjapan.com. The company is run by an American guy. Or maybe he’s Canadian. Not sure but he speaks great English. I was impressed with the quality product that he offers that is made by a family business that has been making futon mattresses for 50+ years. Needless to say, the mattresses they create are a work of art but also a very, comfortable product to sleep on. The process of making a mattress is something learned through the course of many years of study. I watched this video the other day and feel it is worth sharing. And this should explain why I would go to Japan to buy my futon mattress.

Hi mdgail1,

Thanks for letting us know what you ended up deciding and for sharing the link as well … and congratulations on your new futon :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you receive it and have had the chance to try it out.

There are quite a number of latex mattresses (and latex hybrids as well) that don’t use any wool and use other types of fire barriers that would be suitable for use by a vegan so this shouldn’t be an issue for those that want a latex mattress without any wool.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix. I’m sure there are but the problem is, for some reason, the majority of companies that I’ve found seem to use some sort of wool in the case as a fire barrier. I may look to see if I can find any others but it seems like every time I find a company that I think is wool free they show that the cover for their mattress does indeed contain wool and to get one with out you would need a written doctors not. Thankfully, I don’t have to worry about this problem with my futon. However, if you have any recs for companies that produce latex mattresses and don’t use any wool in their cover, please let me know. I’ll look through all the documents here as well in case there is something I have missed.

Oh, and once again, thank you so much for all of your help and the recommendations of so many others.

Mark

Hi mdgail1,

There may be others that I’ve missed but off the top of my head some companies that make one or more latex mattresses without any wool include …

rockymountainmattress.com/

All of them except Plushbeds are a member of this site.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix.