Just want a link to a good value foam for 170lb guy. Don't want to think or research this one.

[quote=“Need2PullTheTrigger” post=24773]Whats the bottom range for “legit” foam?
I just want a link.[/quote]

I don’t know the bottom range well, and again if you want just a single site then IKEA is easy, try able before you buy if you’re close to one, and open about their construction and materials. There are many reviews, and Phoenix has commented on the better / worse mattress options from them. Not all their mattresses are as good as each other.

Example link from this site:https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/budget-mattress-or-mattress-surgery
Example construction pictures:https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/ikea-mattress-cutaway-pictures

Is there like a 50000% markup on foam mattresses?
It’s funny to see the cross section photos.
That’s been stuff we’ve thrown in the garbage for many decades.
It’s bizarre to think people are now paying $500 for the stuff.

Hi Need2PullTheTrigger,

As high as the markup is … it’s nowhere near what you are suggesting.

There is also a huge range of different types of foam and foam quality. The stuff you throw in the garbage probably belonged in the garbage but there is also some very high quality and much more costly foam being produced that is much more suitable for use in mattresses than “camping foam” or other similar quality cheap materials.

Phoenix

Can someone post a few links to decent latex mattresses?
Not best of the best, but maybe Honda Civic caliber latex.

Ikea has some memory foam, latex foam, poly foam, and pocket coils, plus some toppers (I keep suggesting ikea on the assumption it would be helpful to try the mattresses of all varieties you’ve commented on, before you buy, and all at the ‘honda civic’ level). That said, I don’t know if there is a better choice for latex… I don’t know the websites / vendors well enough personally, so maybe some one else can help with that. The ikea latex is only 1 variety (dunlop I believe) in 1 firmness level, which does restrict your options from them (I.e. You could find you hate the ikea latex but enjoy a different latex bed).

Hi Need2PullTheTrigger,

Post #21 here includes the list of the members here that sell latex mattresses online. There is a wide range of designs and prices and types of latex but all of them are among the best quality/value in the industry.

If you let me know the city or zip where you live I’d also be happy to let you know of any of the better options I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

Too many links there. While I really do appreciate the advice given in this thread, what I feared with my OP is exactly what is unfolding. I don’t want a part-time degree/career in becoming a mattress expert with 100’s of hours logged. I just want a link to a mattress that is a good value, in that it’s the “Honda Civic” (ie: Not overpaying for diminishing marginal utility/luxury or markup)

Instead, the net result is that, 6 days later, I am still sleeping on my 5 year old $50 topper that is shot, and my back is killing me each morning. I was all set to buy that $380 Amazon budget foam which would have been a massive upgrade already, but instead I am now stuck in analysis paralysis. Maybe I will actually be literally paralyzed by the time I actually click “Add to cart” on an actual mattress.

Sigh. Sometimes, less is more.

I want a Honda Civic mattress. Reliable, proven, and value priced.
Can someone post a link to buy it now, and put me out of my misery?
Latex seems expensive, so I’ll stick to foam and be happy if I get a few years.
I got 5 years from my 4" $50 foam topper (on a boxspring)

Why would you include “Custom Sleep Design” from Shelton, CT in your “membership list”
if they scammed a poster here in the thread you link you???

Here’s a few ebay links
This ebay seller, Phoenix has recommended in the past

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-DUROLUX-LATEX-MATTRESS-TOPPER-6-PAD-DUNLOP-PROCESS-/380467951416?pt=US_Mattress_Pads_and_Feather_Beds&var=&hash=item5895a83738

I just pulled the trigger on this one pretty much same mattress both sell latexco but this was cheaper

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Dunlop-Latex-Mattress-Foam-ZONED-Latex-Mattress-Natural-Latex-ALL-SIZES-/261198801332?pt=Mattresses&var=&hash=item3cd0a969b4

Beef, does it matter that they’re only toppers?
I’ve been using a $50 4" topper directly on a boxspring, and was very happy with the firmness,
so I figured I’d splurge and spend $300-$400 and get a complete mattress this time

With the link above, do I really need 6" ?
Most people suggested 3" of 4lb foam, so cam I use 3" of latex topper?

Also, which config for the new mattress?

1. Use a new TOPPER on my existing boxspring?
  2. Keep my OLD FOAM, and use a new TOPPER over both the OLD FOAM and the BOXSPRING?
  3. Get a REAL mattress for my existing boxspring?

I am scared to actually top an actual mattress, or even my old foam topper
I initially put the topper on top of my old mattress and is was the WORST bed EVER.
It was like sinking into quicksand. I don’t think I even slept one night on that marshmallow!!
I thew my mattress in the garbage and never looked back.

you can keep your boxspring and just put on the 6" latex which can be used as a topper or core. I’m planning to see how mine feels. I had a 6" latex 4 years ago and loved the feel of it but the past 4 years I’ve just been using a 2" topper on top of a mattress. I want to go back to 6 inches. If I feel its to firm I can get another 2" topper.

I also found some boyd mattress that are pretty cheap on ebay. They aren’t real latex mattress but if that doesn’t matter to you I’d take a look. I was looking at both the 910 and 920.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOYD-NATURAL-FLEX-ENGINEERED-LATEX-MATTRESSES-ALL-MODELS-FROM-9-TO-12-SIZES-/300973223929?pt=Mattresses&var=&hash=item461366eff9

The 910 is rated firmer then the 920 on this site while the 920 is medium plush.
http://www.usbeds.com/boyd_specialty_sleep_910_natural_flex_natural_latex_mattress-7877.aspx
I would look at the 910 if I were you.

I know nothing about latex.
Do I need to?

Is all latex simply better than foam?
Is latex a no-brainer over foam?

Or, can I end up getting stuck with “crappy” latex like people can get suckered by crappy foam that breaks down after a few months?

As long as you buy natural latex (Dunlop is my choice), then to me it IS a no-brainer over “foam”, and no way would it be “crappy”. I think all “good” latex is better than any foam. Blended Talalay would also be better than foam, to me, unless you’re talking high density foam only in the support layer. Just bear in mine that not everyone who says they’re selling a latex mattress really are - some say that but contain very little latex. You just need to know what’s in the mattress, and I’d think you’d want the latex in a zippered mattress cover. If you learn a few simple things, you’re quite unlikely to end up with crappy latex.

I recently bought a queen Dunlop 9" mattress - a 6" core with a 3" comfort layer, altho I paid outside your $500 range. I don’t know that you can find a real latex mattress in that price range. I had to have a doctor’s prescription to buy my mattress since it has no fire retardant in it - which also made the mattress tax free and tax deductible.

Best deal I can find online is the monthly special at https://www.sleepez.com/latex-mattress-sale.htm - you’d pay about twice what you’d like, but you’d end up with a mattress that would last years.

My father slept on a Dunlop mattress he bought from Sears back in the '60s or '70s for 30-40 years. When he died, the bed was still comfortable. Bonus to that was that he never spent another penny on a mattress after he purchased that one.

You don’t have to drive yourself bonkers learning too much here - I read for a couple of days, found a reputable seller an hour away, went and tried out the mattress. Thought about it for a few days, went back and tried it again, still loved it, bought it and it was delivered free of charge within 48 hours. Start to finish, my mattress buying experience lasted less than a couple of weeks and involved two trips to one mattress store. I’m a happy camper with my new bed, and since I’m already 60 years old, I plan on this being the last mattress I’ll ever need to buy.

You can do this the hard way and buy a crummy mattress every couple of years, and throw good money after bad repeatedly while enduring periodic episodes of pain/discomfort whenever a cheap mattress starts to fall apart (and then you start the process of looking for a mattress all over again), or you can buy a better mattress to start with and avoid some of that stuff. Of course, a lot depends on what you’re able to pay for a mattress - but one of these days hopefully you’ll be able and willing to buy something that will help you sleep better and more pain free for years at a stretch.

You’re not getting the answer you’re demanding here because there is no one perfect answer, no magic “link” that will take you to just what you want at a price you want to pay. All any of us can do is throw out alternatives until you see one you find acceptable.

Well, I am technically a millionaire, so I can spend whatever I want on a bed.
However, I didn’t become one by wasting money or buying overpriced designer fads.
So, what I do is spend whatever it takes to get a quality product, BUT never ever a penny more.
I also understand diminishing marginal utility.
In this case, there is no chance in hell a $3000 mattress is 3x better than a $1000 one.
I am very skeptical of the mattress industry, as it’s been a known scam for many many years.
So, the best defense is to not spend a lot. But…

Since foam seems to be more of a wild card, I don’t mind upgrading to latex.
I have no place to “try it” at a store. I always felt that was a bunch of bullshit anyway.
Only way to know is to sleep on it for 8 hours, and see if you’re in pain the next day.

The other HUGE issue of blowing $1000 is that I have no idea if I will even like the bed.
And by then, you’re stuck with it.

Can you give me a short list of vendors that sell latex at reasonable prices?
Can I get away with synthetic? I am not a purist. If it’s 80% as good for 50% of the cost, I am sold.

What do I need at 170lbs?
How many inches?

How about this for $600?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051AQXZK/

The link I did give you is the best I know of online if your main consideration is cost, which it seems to be. I don’t believe a latex mattress could be considered a designer fad by any stretch of the imagination.

That vendor, and many others, have liberal exchange/return policies that allow you to change out one or more layers of the mattress if it doesn’t suit you for little cost.

Bottom line, though, is that nobody here is going to be able to make up your mind for you. If I had the kind of money you say you do, I’d probably still have bought the bed I bought this month - $1800 out the door, delivered and set up, no tax - all Dunlop manufactured by Latex Green in Sri Lanka. Even though it was a stretch financially I think in the long run it’ll be worth it. Only difference is that if I had a lot of money I might have made more of an effort to check out more expensive beds, only to still go back and buy this one, which would have been a waste of time and energy for me.

At your weight, I’d think 8-9" of latex would be fine. Personally, I wouldn’t buy that bed at Amazon, although several people here have. Search the forum for Dreamfoam (I think that’s what the link goes to) and you’ll find more information about it.

Hi Need2PullTheTrigger,

I think Clawdia’s comments are “right on the money” and in the end nobody else can make up your mind about which mattress is the best value for YOU. Everyone has a different set of priorities and preferences that are important to them. There is no “formula” that can decide this for someone else.

I would also extend her comments a little more and say that almost all latex (natural or synthetic) is a better quality and more durable material than almost all polyfoam although it’s still important to make sure a mattress is suitable for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) because no matter what the cost or value of a mattress or its durability … if it isn’t suitable for your specific needs and preferences then it would have little value to you.

Phoenix

This one seems to meet your criterial perfectly, all in 1 link. Better hurry tho, it says there’s only 15 left! 4.6/5 stars, how could 71 other reviewers all be wrong? Matches your values perfectly.

https://www.amazon.com/Signature-Sleep-6-Inch-Memory-Mattress/dp/B005A4ONW2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1380347548&sr=8-3&keywords=Mattress+queen

Thanks, but that one does not state the actual density (4lbs, etc)
I’ve learned here at TMU to avoid those products.
Even if it were 4lb foam, I think 1.5" is not enough.
I read that 3" is more sufficient.

I think at this point, I will splurge for the latex.

If the 6" topper was so good in the first place,
why did you switch to a 2" topper + mattress?