Just want a link to a good value foam for 170lb guy. Don't want to think or research this one.

If the 6" topper was so good in the first place,
why did you switch to a 2" topper + mattress?

I am starting to think this is the way I will go.
Just pay for the topper and “active ingredient” if you will.

The seller “latextoppers” seems new with only 43 feedback
The seller “memoryfoamlatex” is 20,000 feedback.
Both are about the same price, so I will go with the 20,000 feedback seller who is only $5 more.
This $500 range seems like a wholesaler operation, which appeals to my value sensibility.
Since it’s not a finished mattress, I’ll buy a $20 zipper cover off Ebay, as well.
(unlike most “member” links posted on TMU which tend to $2000-$3000)

• $478
  • 6" Queen topper
  • Latex from “memoryfoamlatex”
  • Under $500
  • I’m in the latex ballgame.

Does this seem like an TMU credited way to go?
Or do I need to worry about Dunlop vs. Talalay?

When I was sleeping on a 6 inch latex mattress I was with my ex gf at the time. When I moved out I was broke and couldn’t afford a lot. She got the plasma tv, the latex bed and such. Being a guy I bought a new tv and speaker system haha. I settled for a mattress and a 2 inch latex topper which worked out fine but still wasn’t as comfortable as the 6 inch. I gave my mattress to my dad 9 months ago because he was sleeping on a couch and I’ve been sleeping on 2 toppers for the past 9 months, 1 3" and 1 2". I would go with the one that Phoenix recommned off ebay. I was originally going to buy a nurest bed for $270 then the boyd 920, but after reading a lot on this forum about companys not stating ILD #s and engineered latex that isn’t really latex, I decided to go all latex. I was going to go with the ebay seller that Phoenix recommended but they charge tax which ended up being $470. I know, I know its $22 difference with the other seller but being a broke college student I didn’t have that extra $22 on my credit card. College life sucks but I’m glad I don’t have a gf or I would really be broke. So when I get my 6" latex I will see how comfortable its is and maybe in a few months I will add another layer and make that my comfort layer while the 6" will be my core/support layer.

[quote=“Need2PullTheTrigger” post=24940][quote=“bumbabeef” post=24921]Here’s a few ebay links
This ebay seller, Phoenix has recommended in the past

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-DUROLUX-LATEX-MATTRESS-TOPPER-6-PAD-DUNLOP-PROCESS-/380467951416?pt=US_Mattress_Pads_and_Feather_Beds&var=&hash=item5895a83738

I just pulled the trigger on this one pretty much same mattress both sell latexco but this was cheaper

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Dunlop-Latex-Mattress-Foam-ZONED-Latex-Mattress-Natural-Latex-ALL-SIZES-/261198801332?pt=Mattresses&var=&hash=item3cd0a969b4[/quote]

I am starting to think this is the way I will go.
Just pay for the topper and “active ingredient” if you will.

The seller “latextoppers” seems new with only 43 feedback
The seller “memoryfoamlatex” is 20,000 feedback.
Both are about the same price, so I will go with the 20,000 feedback seller who is only $5 more.
This $500 range seems like a wholesaler operation, which appeals to my value sensibility.
Since it’s not a finished mattress, I’ll buy a $20 zipper cover off Ebay, as well.
(unlike most “member” links posted on TMU which tend to $2000-$3000)

• $478
  • 6" Queen topper
  • Latex from “memoryfoamlatex”
  • Under $500
  • I’m in the latex ballgame.

Does this seem like an TMU credited way to go?
Or do I need to worry about Dunlop vs. Talalay?[/quote]

From what I’ve read so far as long as its all latex whether its dunlop or talalay, you should be fine. Dunlop I believe should be firmer which you would like but should last longer also. Go with the ebay seller memoryfoamlatex, because they are a confirmed latexco latex seller.

Ok, I am very close to PULLING THE TRIGGER!

But, why does this 6" Dunlop cost $750 for Queen (Organic??)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-NATURAL-ORGANIC-LATEX-MATTRESS-TOPPER-6-DUNLOP-PROCESS-/110882339754?pt=US_Mattress_Pads_and_Feather_Beds&var=&hash=item19d11a3baa

and this 6" Dunlop cost just $478 for Queen
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-DUROLUX-LATEX-MATTRESS-TOPPER-6-PAD-DUNLOP-PROCESS-/380467951416?pt=US_Mattress_Pads_and_Feather_Beds&var=&hash=item5895a83738

Is it a bad idea to buy synthetic latex?

This $478 DUROLUX Dunlop from “memoryfoamlatex”
says A precision blend of natural and synthetic latex, never any fillers & 100% Latex.

If I am getting 6" of Synthetic Latex for $478
should I spend $650 and get 6 total inches of 100% natural PURALUX?

This 4" PURALUX topper is also 100% natural latex, yet is only $421. Add a 2" topper PURALUX for $233.
Total for 6" is $650.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-MADE-IN-USA-PURALUX-MEMORY-VISCO-LATEX-FOAM-MATTRESS-TOPPER-2-PAD-/380563184966
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-MADE-IN-USA-PURALUX-MEMORY-VISCO-LATEX-FOAM-MATTRESS-TOPPER-4-PAD-/380563186582?pt=US_Mattress_Pads_and_Feather_Beds&var=&hash=item589b556396

What is weird is that DUROLUX has higher density than PURALUX.
DUROLUX = 4.98 pcf
PURALUX = 4.20 pcf

I just need my last 2 questions above answered …

1. Why are mattresses so much more than toppers that have the equivalent active material (eg: 3" of 4lb foam)
  2. Should I avoid the DURALUX synthetic blend? Yet it has higher density than the real thing (PURALUX)

Hi Need2PullTheTrigger,

Your question is much too broad for any meaningful answer and the premise it’s based on isn’t accurate but a topper is usually a single material and a mattress is generally a combination of materials and components that are layered together in different ways. Your question would be somewhat like asking why is a piece of furniture more expensive than some of the wood that is used to make it.

That’s entirely up to you. Durolux and Puralux are both different versions of blended Dunlop latex (see the latexco site here). Durolux is made in a mold and Puralux is made with a continuous pour method. Puralux is available in different blends but 20% natural / 80% synthetic and a 50% / 50% blend are the most common. It is usually used as a comfort material only and is usually softer. They also “feel” different and the choice between them would be based which one you prefer or on the specific application or layers you wanted to use them in (mattresses generally use a combination of firmer and softer layers). Firmer latex is denser than softer latex (with latex, density has a direct relationship with firmness … unlike polyfoam and memory foam). There is more generic information about the different types of latex in post #6 here.

Phoenix

Ok, let’s put it this way, have you ever recommended Dunlop synthetic DUROLUX latex from “memoryfoamlatex” for $478 for a 6" Queen topper? Does this pass the Phoenix test? Is it a reasonable value/solution, or do you think that is a very bad idea that I will reget?

I’m not looking for the perfect solution, but simply a reaction of “Let’s see…6” full of 5lb density. Legit Durolux Latex. You know, for $480 you could do a lot worse. In fact, this is a much better solution than the unspecified $375 Amazon foam mattress you started out looking at. You’ve got latex. You’ve got density. You’ve got 6 inches. And you’re under $500. Not bad at all."

If that is a reasonable reaction, then I will pull the trigger tomorrow. And give a big thanks to TMU for forcing me to climb the learning curve and still pulling out a very strong value. I will put it right on a boxspring or just buy a new frame entirely. I have used a cheap ass 4" topper for years and loved it so this will be a step up either way.

Hi Need2PullTheTrigger,

If you have read most of the previous information I’ve linked … you would realize that I don’t recommend specific materials of any kind. I recommend a process for “HOW” to choose not what to choose. What to choose is a preference that only you can decide on based on your research, experiences, and preferences and your personal value equation. We are covering the same ground over and over again and varying the same questions slightly won’t provide any different answers.

You have been given all the information you need to make up your own mind about all the factors that are most important to you. I don’t make these choices for other people … I only provide information that can help people make up their own minds based on having access to more meaningful information that can help you make better comparisons. “Better and worse” is relative to each person’s circumstances, budget, priorities, preferences, and personal value equation.

Which type of latex feels better for you and whether any difference in how it feels or performs in the short or long term is worth any difference in cost is up to you alone to decide. When you can answer these questions based on your own personal experience, perceptions, and knowledge then you will know which choice is best for you. These are preferences. If you aren’t personally familiar with the specifics of how each material feels and performs … then you would be dependent on a longer and more detailed conversation with the retailer or manufacturer you are dealing with so that they can describe the differences between their different materials and products based on their knowledge, experience, and integrity. In this case your conversation and the other research you have done would replace your personal experience and the return policies for an online purchase may become a more important part of the “value” of a purchase if their “best efforts” to describe the differences between them based on averages don’t agree with your own experiences.

Phoenix

I understand why you can not understand the essence of my questions. Ok, since we all view life from the lens of our own unique worldview & perspective, you can not empathize with my “efficient” approach to life and shopping, and most likely assume everyone else is willing to dedicate their entire months, years, and perhaps lives to choosing a mattress, and maybe even building a side-businesses to advise others on how to choose a mattress (as you have),

Also, perhaps your lawyers advised you to never make a specific recc. and only “teach the man to fish” to avoid legal liability. I get it., While I applaud your enthusiasm for educating, some people simple do not care at this level, and have lives to lead… and just want to avoid getting scammed or gouged on a serviceable product. …I have tried to make it clear that I am using a 5 year old $50 topper. Based on TMU standards, it was a piece of sh/t from day 1. ANYTHING, even a NEW $50 topper of cheap-ass 1lb foam will be an upgrade to what I currently have. It doesn’t have to be perfect.

And this “knowledge” you impart is somewhat useless. And I’ve already said I can’t try stuff at stores. Doesn’t matter b/.c there is no way to know. The ONLY thing I know is that I hate a soft mattress that I sink into and wake up with back aches from. That’s it. Beds are binary to me. Either they are like this, or they’re not. So, ironically ,this entire website is a waste of time without specific “picks”. You do not understand the basic thought process of your own user. They DONT want to think. You are delusional if you think ther average person is actually going to call the freaking vendor and TALK about the mattress. HAve you ever heard of amazon.com? They are a little internet shop that sells a few things over the interwebz. Yea, it’s crazy, but a few people out there actually buy random sh/t on the interwebz without actually talking to a salesman. In fact, these handful of people prefer this. You can’t make this sh/t up, bro. People are here NOT to think. They came here so they can NOT go to some god damned showroom and try stuff out like a stupid moron. They want interwebz to tell them here is the “top 10”. Another arcane little feature of that little interwebz seller called Amazon.com …Not “how to start you own mattress advisory service”. (Step 1: Get OCD) You can replace your entire damn site with the following 5 lines and get 100x more hits, and be 100x more useful to people.

[ol]
[li]Budget is $200? Get this[/li]
[li]Budget is $500? Get this[/li]
[li]Budget is $1000? Get this[/li]
[li]Budget is $2000 Get this[/li]
[li]Over $2000? Don’t bother. Diminishing marginal utility. Return to step 4.[/li]

So,[/ol] let me try again in the simplest of terms:
If you saw that your friend’s wife bought a $480 6" Durolux synthetic latex Dunlop topper from “memoryfoamlatex” b/c her budget was $500 for nothing more than “a bed that doesn’t suck”, would your reaction be:

1. “You stupid lazy clueless moron. If you only did some basic research, you could have gotten a quantum leap better product at that price point. Only an idiot would buy that. PT Barnum was right. A fool and his money are soon parted”
  2. Or would it be “Not bad…Good enough. She did better than most morons who buy fake foam for not much less”
    Will your lawyers allow you to answer that?

Would that be your reaction? 1 or 2? I am not looking for a specific product recommendation. Just a 1 or 2 answer to the above hypothetical. Thanks!

Again, the only response I am looking for is a “1” or a “2”.
I don’t care about anything else.
Once I read it, you are free to delete it.

Hi Need2PullTheTrigger,

As far as I know there are still laws in place where people are still free to provide information that they believe can help people without needing a lawyer. The idea of needing a lawyer to run a mattress forum is funny to me … or of course you could have meant it as a joke in which case ha ha :slight_smile:

You’re right though about my preference regarding teaching “how to fish” and this is the basic premise of this website. If that’s not the type of site you are looking for or something you don’t care about then you are at the wrong site and there are hundreds of other sites around the internet that would be more appropriate for you. If it’s a waste of time for you … then why are you here?

It certainly appears that we share a different “worldview” and “lens” through which we view the world around us but once again … that’s the beauty of diversity. If you want to simplify your search then take the time to actually read the information that’s already been provided and you will find a simple step by step process that is about “finding the experts” rather than becoming one yourself. Who you buy from can be as important as what you buy and is part of the value of a mattress purchase. This can be as simple or as complicated as you choose it to be.

Good luck in your search and I hope you find what you are looking for … both in terms of sites that can help you and in terms of a mattress that fits your criteria.

Phoenix

You can not be serious.
Just answer ONE or TWO.
How simple can I make it?
You can’t be this stupid.
Drop your OCD Autism and just answer ONE or TWO.
Spare me your obsessive dogma insanity for one freaking second.
A moron 4th grader can understand my question,

ONE
or
TWO?

Do you understand?

If you saw that your friend’s wife bought a $480 6" Durolux synthetic latex Dunlop topper from “memoryfoamlatex” b/c her budget was $500 for nothing more than “a bed that doesn’t suck”, would your reaction be closer to:

1. “You stupid lazy clueless moron. If you only did some basic research, you could have gotten a quantum leap better product at that price point. Only an idiot would buy that. PT Barnum was right. A fool and his money are soon parted”
  2. Or would it be “Not bad…Good enough. She did better than most people who buy quasi-foam for not much less”

ONE
or
TWO?

ONE
or
TWO?

ONE
or
TWO?

Need2PullTheTrigger,

You are on the edge of being banned for trolling and personal attacks.

I’ll give you some time to read the rules of the forum and to delete the parts of your post that are a personal attack and against the rules of the forum before I decide whether your posting privileges will be removed.

Phoenix

1 or 2 ?

Whew - glad that’s over.

I think I’ll skip the next thread title that starts with someone saying they don’t want to think. You’re one patient soul, Phoenix!

My goodness. I had to revisit this post to see what on earth was going on. 6 days & 62 posts into an “I don’t want to think or research” kind of post, wow.

Phoenix, I know you know, but please always remember how truly grateful so many of us our for all of the time you dedicate to this site & to us to share your depth and breadth of knowledge with us. And for many of us, you have indeed taught us how to fish (or at leas how to bait our lines) - we come back to you for additional insight and opinions as we each make our way through this sometimes crazy and frustrating process of selecting the mattress that will be the best match for each of us (& and in many cases spouses too).

We absorb everything we can, test test test, revisit often, and can always count on you and other members of this forum to weight in and help with your insights when we reach roadblocks of various types along our journey.

For that, we thank you! As always! Just wanted to reiterate that. You have personally helped me along this path for what must be two + years now and I love reading this board. I send all my friends here when they reach a mattress dilemma too. I do truly appreciate all that you do here!

Hi SleeplessinDallas and Clawdia,

Thanks for the comments and support. Part of the nature of a forum is that there are sometimes a few members that cross the lines of the forum rules and forget they’re in a mattress forum and while banning someone is always a last resort … it’s also necessary on occasion.

Phoenix

what that idiot didn’t realize is we gave him what he wanted, links and links and more links. Problem is he kept coming back with questions after questions after questions, which isn’t a bad thing if he really wanted help. He wanted something plain and simple which we gave him,for the most part.

I figured him for a Troll when he asked for links when I had already provided some but I wasn’t positive until he started with the “I’m a millionaire” Krap…after that, I responded no more.
I think he was a Mattress Salesman!
I forgot to mention that most Trolls do NOT go away because they are banned…Watch the tone of any new users, if they go back to this same topic way too many times we may have a phoenix of a different sort.