Kansas City -- Best value for Memory Gel/ Cooling foam mattress

Started last summer to replace my 27 year old firm King Size mattress. Being 27 years old its time. I am a 55 year old guy so I want a mattress that is a High quality one and a fair price.

I like luxury items but at value pricing. I have looked at all the high end companies but feel that I am paying for their brand awareness and advertising. ie sleep number or Tempur-Pedic. I don’t like products where they say the pricing is the same (fixed) by the manufacture to me that reeks of collusion.

Since last summer I have visited several retailers in the KC area of which two of them went out of business. Funny how companies come and go in this space. the 2nd one is having their going out of business sale right now.

The usual suspects in KC are Nebraska Furniture Mart., Orman’s 3day furniture, Crowley Furniture, The Mattress firm (with 30 locations all within 15 miles of each other. and Macy’s or Penney’s.

I am not opposed to dealing with the internet other than disposal of my old King mattress.

I want a Memory foam mattress with Cooling gel. like to sleep cool. My existing mattress is firm and I would like softer as many of the hotel’s that I travel to have softer mattresses and I sleep better when traveling. I don’t have any physical ailments like a bad back or neck but do snore. so I try to be a side or stomach sleeper. Physically I weight 230lbs.

Any ideas on brands and places to buy would be appreciated.

Do I need to also replace the box springs? No issue to do it or not but most retailers want to sell you a new (set)one.

Hi kcdave,

That’s a very long time to own a mattress and I would also think that it’s past it’s due date.

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choice … and more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones (including the major brands and large chain stores you were mentioning … see the guidelines here).

The industry has changed a great deal (for the worse) since you last purchased a mattress (see post #3 here)

[quote]Since last summer I have visited several retailers in the KC area of which two of them went out of business. Funny how companies come and go in this space. the 2nd one is having their going out of business sale right now.

The usual suspects in KC are Nebraska Furniture Mart., Orman’s 3day furniture, Crowley Furniture, The Mattress firm (with 30 locations all within 15 miles of each other. and Macy’s or Penney’s.[/quote]

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Kansas City area (subject to the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #2 here.

The tutorial also includes two links to lists of the better online options I’m aware of (in the optional online step). There is also more information about disposing of an old mattress in this topic.

There is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress in post #2 here (including your mattress protector, sheets, and bedding which can have just as big an effect as your mattress). Memory foam in general will tend to sleep warmer than other types of materials for some people and while the gel can make a difference when you touch the mattress or when you first go to sleep at night … the benefits of gel tend to be somewhat temporary and only last until temperatures equalize.

The problem with “brand shopping” is that you aren’t buying the brand … you are buying a specific mattress … and most manufacturers make a wide range of mattresses that can vary from very low quality that in some cases may only last you for weeks or months to much more premium mattresses that use higher quality and more durable materials that will have a much longer useable lifetime. In terms of quality and durability … a mattress is only as good as the type and quality/durability of the materials and components inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label or the price of the mattress. The name of the manufacturer on the label or the price of the mattress won’t tell you anything about whether a specific mattress is suitable for you in terms of PPP or whether there are any lower quality materials or weak links in the design. There is more about the risks of brand shopping in post #5 here and post #12 here).

The knowledge, experience, and transparency of the retailer/manufacturer you are dealing with and their ability to be able to tell you the specifics of the quality and durability of the materials inside their mattresses can be one of the most important parts of a successful mattress purchase regardless of the brand name of the manufacturers they carry.

Most mattresses sold today do best with a rigid foundation with limited or no flex rather than a box spring (with springs) that were more common with two sided innerspring mattresses. Even if you were to buy a mattress that required a box spring (which would be the exception) after 27 years I would replace it anyway.

Phoenix