Kauai latex mattress

We live on the beautiful island of Kauai. Over the past 10 years, we’ve purchased three innerspring firm queen mattresses and each one of them has cratered, including a $4000 Stearns & Foster, a Simmons and a Sealy. I believe that each of them was simply poor quality.

We are in the market again for another mattress. I don’t like the feel of Temperpedic mattresses at all and I’m thinking perhaps a latex mattress might be a better choice for us. However, we are unable to test one out since we cannot find a retailer selling all latex mattresses on Kauai and the shipping costs make other options prohibitive. Do you know of a latex mattress seller on Kauai? Or do you have any suggestions on how we should proceed? Mahalo.

Hi ALBESQ,

This is fairly typical with major brand mattresses such as Sealy, Simmons, and Serta and other mainstream mattresses which generally use lower quality/density foams in their comfort layers which are a weak link in their mattresses and are subject to foam softening and breakdown much more rapidly than higher quality materials. Even some of their “so called” latex mattresses use lower density polyfoam on top of the latex (which most consumers don’t realize unless they know to find out exactly what is inside the mattress they are buying … see this article) which will break down much more quickly than latex. As you can see in this article … I would avoid all the major brands or any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the type and quality of the materials and components inside it.

Post #2 here includes a link to a list of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Hawaiian Islands and some links to other topics with feedback from some of the members that live there as well. Outside of the OMI (Organicpedic) mattresses I’m not sure if any of them are currently selling all latex mattresses.

The mattress shopping tutorial also includes this link to a list of the members here that sell mattresses online and many of these make latex mattresses that they ship to Hawaii that use different types of latex with a wide range of designs, options, features, prices, and return and exchange policies that may also be well worth considering if there are no local options that match your criteria.

Phoenix