King mattress and adjustable bed option

We are about ready to pull the trigger on a new latex mattress and really going back and forth on whether we need/want an adjustable bed. My partner has MS, so feel like it could possibly be helpful. The two downsides would be the additional cost and the split mattress. We know better than to bank on both of us wanting the same adjustments at any given time so think split is the only way to go for us on an adjustable base but aren’t crazy about having two separate mattresses with a crease in the middle.

So we thought we’d like to sleep on the latex mattress on a regular foundation for some time before we make the decision on the adjustable base. The problem with that would be that we’d need to order a SPLIT king if we were going to go the adjustable route, while preferring to have a REGULAR king if not. We had already decided that we would have the latex layers split (within a regular king) before we started talking about the adjustable option, using the mattress cover to “unite” the halves into one seamless piece but giving us each the ability to fine tune our side of the bed. Would it be possible, if we were going this route already, to later buy two twin XL mattress covers and turn this regular king into a split king for use on an adjustable base? If the layers inside were already split, it seems like we could simply remove the halves from the king size case and rebuild each in the twin XL cases.

Has anyone done this and it worked out well enough?

Thanks!

Hi distracted12,

Yes … as long as you were comfortable with the additional cost of two covers if you had split layers there would be no reason not to take this approach and you would be fine.

There is also more about split king mattresses in post #8 here and in this topic that may be helpful as well.

Phoenix

Thanks, Phoenix - you’ve been really helpful in this process. I’ve learned so much - and have been through so many posts on this forum it’s silly.

Hopefully pulling the trigger on a new mattress soon and getting some decent sleep not too long after!

Hi distracted12,

I’m glad the site could help you … and I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thanks to all the information you’ve provided, I think we’re about ready to pull the trigger. We were down to Flobeds and Sleep Ez and after talking to Shawn this evening, think that’s the route we’re going. He answered all my questions and was very nice. I double checked with him to make sure splitting the king into a dual king down the road would work with their bed (it seems like I saw mentioned somewhere that some places have had slight differences in foam size) and he agreed it would.

We’re going to sleep on it tonight er…not sleep on it…we’ll toss and turn on it I guess…and make the final call. As much as I would love to be able to go with the Organic 10,000, I think we’re going to go with the blended 10,000 in order to save some money. I’d wait a little longer so the higher cost of the organic wouldn’t hurt so much, but we really need to start getting some sleep. So, Sleep EZ 10,000 it is! I’ll post again with our impressions with the mattress when we receive it in case someone needs one more Sleep EZ review. :slight_smile:

Thanks again!

(I was so focused on getting the right mattress the 5% off almost slipped by me!)

Hi distracted12,

Thanks for letting us know what you ended up deciding (or at least what you are “about to decide”)

Assuming that “tossing and turning” on it doesn’t change your decision and you end up pulling the trigger … you are certainly making a great choice … and congratulations on your new mattress.

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you receive it.

Phoenix