King Mattress Swap Advice

I have read thru the education materials a couple of times and get a little lost in some of the details, but I thought I had a fairly decent grasp. I got a King Size Denver Mattress Doctors Choice Elite Plush. Now have back pain all over and toss and turn all night. I still have 2 weeks to swap it out.

I am over 300lbs and need the right support layers and from my notes maybe this one might work? My previous mattress was memory foam I kept it too long and had lower back pain for quite some time. I am primarily a side sleeper.

Thank you for any input you can share!

Telluride Medium Mattress King Size from Denver Mattress

Quilt Layers:
Knit zippered cover featuring ICE yarn and PCM cooling Technology
FR Sock

Comfort Layers:
1" Copper Infused 3lb. Visco Foam Topper
2" Talalay 100% Natural Latex
1" 19 gauge Micro-Coil (2226 Coil Count for Queen size mattress)
Laminate Insulator

Support System:
952 Individually Wrapped Coils (Based on Queen size mattress)
2" High Density Base Foam

Hi Cherylf215,

Thank you for sharing your situation. I acknowledge your familiarity with the MattressUnderGround tutorials and will delve straight into the core issues.

Regarding an all-memory foam mattress, it’s uncommon to find mattresses entirely composed of memory foam due to the risk of excessive softness and insufficient support. Typically, some form of high-density foam is used for support.

Synthetic foam mattresses are known to wear out faster than natural foams like Dunlop Latex and Talalay Latex. This could lead to premature failure, causing strain on muscles from the neck to the hips.

Now, let’s focus on your king-sized Denver Mattress Doctors Choice Elite Plush:

Quilt Layers:

Stretch Knit Ticking with ICE Technology
1” Super Soft Antimicrobial Foam
0.5” High-Density Quilt Foam
Natural Rayon Fire Barrier

Comfort Layers:

2” HyperGel® High Airflow 3lb. Visco Foam Topper
1” High-Density 2 lb. Plush Foam Topper
Laminate Insulator

Support System:

816 Individually Wrapped Queen Coil Density
Targeted Lumbar Support
3” High-Density Base Foam

In this mattress, you rest on 2" of 3lb viscoelastic memory foam. For durability, longevity and support, we recommend at least a 4 or 5lb viscoelastic memory foam, especially for sleepers over 200lbs. Additional features like gels and copper infusions have minimal impact and may even lead to faster breakdown.

Critical details about coil gauge and hardness are missing. Assuming a thicker gauge (13-14.5), they might provide sufficient support; otherwise, it becomes another weak link in the mattress layers. The ideal density for HD foam is 1.8lbs, but for heavier sleepers, 2.0-2.8 is preferable.

Moving on to the Telluride Medium from Denver:

The 3lb viscoelastic memory foam and talalay latex for the comfort are discussed, but there’s no information on ILD’s of either or density of the talalay . A 19g MicroCoil layer may prove be too soft, potentially causing sinkage, back strain, and pain. Micro coils are an excellent way for a mattress manufacture to swap out a heat retaining memory foam layer, and replace it with a cooler, more airflow allowing micro coil layer, that will provide contouring and pressure relief.

Similar concerns exist for the spring layer as mentioned previously.

These observations don’t categorize the mattress as good or bad. However, insufficient support can lead to poor posture, misalignment, and discomfort. A mattress must be matched properly to the sleeper, otherwise discomfort and limited longevity may ensue.

Considering your weight and potential heat sensitivity, reconsidering the viscoelastic memory foam comfort layer and opting for an HD 2+lb foam with an ILD of at least 36(or a latex sub-comfort layer with a similar ILD, coupled with a Talalay upper comfort layer, could be beneficial.

A mattress is only as good as its weakest link, and finding the right combination based on your preferences and needs is crucial. If Denver’s guidance isn’t sufficient, consulting Trusted Members who specialize in mattresses for similar weight and comfort needs may provide valuable insights.

If you want to get a Trusted Members attention, you can simply use the “@” symbol before their name, like this example @DLX and they will be notified of your question and will competently respond to your inquiry.

Best of luck,

Maverick

Thank you for the reply. I will ask some of those details when I go back. Sadly, I have no choice but to select another replacement from Denver Mattress. Aiming for the closest I can, but so far I dont see anything that will hit all the good criteria. Given me something to compare though thank you!

1 Like

Take a look and lay on this one for a good 15-20 minutes.

Denver mattress Dr Choice

Perhaps, something firm like this with the appropriate latex or wool topper if it is too firm.

The elite firm uses a better HD density foam, but an uncertain 3lb memory foam. Save the $$$ not getting the elite and apply the difference for your choice of topper comfort adjustment.

Try a swap with Denver Mattress, but dont be afraid to donate it and start over. Dont get into the “sunk cost fallacy.

John

I didn’t consider a topper so might be a better way to go. Thanks!

1 Like