King size memoryfoam vs select foam vs tempurpedic vs sleep number m7

Overwhelmed with mattress choices. :ohmy: Been to Sleep Number where our favorite was M7, and Tempurpedic where are favorites were rhapsody and contour signature. Started looking on line for information and found this wonderful website (way to go Phoenix!). Learned about several alternatives that approximate quality, construction and feel of Tempurpedic rhapsody (at significantly less cost) such as Select Foam Regalis HD 12". Found another website that mentions[b] memoryfoam rhapture HD 12".

[/b]Questions:

1. Select Foam vs. Memoryfoam (see memoryfoam.com)? Are they the same company? Or does Select Foam supply mattresses to memoryfoam.com. The specs are slightly different, but memoryfoam sells a Regalis - HD 12" and Select Foam (lot’s of post on this site about them!) also sells a Regalis HD 12". What’s up with that?? And this link http://www.mattressguides.com/rhapsody-tempurpedic-reviews.html mentions a Memoryfoam Rhapture HD, yet the memoryfoam.com website doesn’t. What’s the deal Phoenix? :slight_smile:

2. I’d be curious to hear comments/critiques about the 4-5 beds we’re considering

3. Sleep Number M7 seems like a bit of a gimmick (air mattress with a foam topper). And I’ve read negative reviews about crevice forming in the middle. Has that been corrected?

4. Is it accurate that the memoryfoam and select foam products have no petroleum based materials in them? The websites mentions soy based materials - is that for all, or just part, of the foam based materials?

Thanks for input, and I apologize if these questions are already addressed on other forum posts.

Hi bed-dazzled,

Memoryfoam.com is a site that was being used by Select Foam to list their mattresses (they don’t own the URL) but it hasn’t been kept up to date and I would focus on the Select Foam site instead which has their current lineup.

The Rhapture HD was a mattresses they used to make which was their approximation of the Tempurpedic Bella Sonna. Neither of them are made or available any more.

Been to Sleep Number where our favorite was M7

You can see my comments about airbeds in this article.

Tempurpedic where are favorites were rhapsody and contour signature.

For the most part Tempurpedic uses good quality materials (including both of these mattresses which use 5.3 lb and 7 lb memory foam) but they are not good value compared to many other manufacturers which use the same or better quality materials and are in much lower budget ranges. Post #2 here and the posts it links to has more about Tempurpedic and their mattresses.

Select Foam Regalis HD 12".

This is a close approximation of the Tempurpedic Rhapsody and uses the same or better quality materials in a much lower price range. You can read more about the different ways that one mattress can approximate or “match” another one in post #9 here.

No … memory foam and polyfoam both use a high percentage of petrochemicals to manufacture them regardless of who makes the foam that is used by the many mattress manufacturers. Some foam manufacturers however have replaced a relatively small percentage of one of the petrochemicals used to make it (the polyols) with various types of plant oil based derivatives (including soy). There is more about so called “soy based foams” or “plant based foams” in post #2 here. They are a small step towards the use of more renewable materials and away from petrochemicals but they are still just polyfoam or memory foam.

Hopefully you’ve had the chance to read the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices … and know how to avoid the worst ones.

It also has a link to a list of some of the better online memory foam choices I’m aware of if memory foam is your preferred material and many of these make mattresses that approximate some of the major brands (most commonly Tempurpedic but sometimes Serta iComfort or Sealy Optimum) so you have a local mattress you can test to have a reference point and get a better sense of how their mattresses may feel and perform for you.

Phoenix