latest recommendations - pittsburgh

My son will start as a grad student in Pittsburgh in August. We’re looking to buy a full sized mattress for him. For his older brother we went with Saatva and have been reasonably happy. We are about 6 hours drive away from where he will be living and need the mattress delivered near his arrival date in Pittsburgh so we won’t have the “shop around the area” time we’d have buying here - unless we purchased here in NJ for delivery in Pittsburgh? Recommendations - should we just go with Saatva again? (Husband is pushing Costco …).
I’ve read through the tutorials and I found a post for Pittsburgh - but dated 3 years ago.
And since we don’t have time to do the in-person visits to the local Pittsburgh - what would you suggest? Local in NJ? Net order based on recommendations?
Advice welcome - thanks! Kim

Hi knitsafghans,

This may be the post you’ve already found but the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Pittsburgh area are listed in post #2 here. It was originally written in Oct, 2011 but I regularly update the forum lists as new information comes to light and it was last updated on April 24th of this year.

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the northern NJ area are listed in post #7 here but there may be considerable shipping expenses involved with most of them to ship a mattress to Pittsburgh.

You can see my comments about the Saatva mattresses in post #1 here and there is more feedback in the rest of the topic as well. A forum search on Saatva (you can just click the link) will also bring up more information and feedback about them as well.

If you are considering an online purchase then the tutorial post includes several links to the better online options I’m aware of (they are in the optional online step). An online purchase from a knowledgeable and experienced manufacturer/retailer that has a good exchange or return policy or where a more detailed conversation gave you the confidence that you would be making a suitable choice in terms of PPP would certainly make sense if you can’t test a mattress in person.

Phoenix

Thank you - will check them out.
Saatva is amazingly controversial!
I personally find their marketing/sales way over the top - but in context of what some of the other majors do - I’m able to “discount” it.
So far the luxury firm has worked out well for older son (2 years).

Hi knitsafghans,

Compared to the majors almost anything would be a better choice and I would certainly agree that Saatva would be a better choice for most people than the major brands … but the bar here on the forum as to what represents better quality/value is much higher than the mainstream industry :slight_smile:

Phoenix