Latex All Around Best

To all in regards to Latex Matresses:

My wife and I are looking for a solid King size natural talalay mattress. Have read a ton of forums here as well as a few other places online and have become overwhelmed. I think I have narrowed it down but could use a little last minute help for those who know a bit more than I when it comes to these companies.

The contenders (in alphabetical order and not my order of preference):

1. Brooklyn Bedding
  2. Flexus
  3. FloBeds
  4. Foam Sweet Foam
  5. Plush Beds
  6. SleepEZ

All of these seem to have a solid reputation and excellent customer service. What I am looking for is the quality of the product. Not afraid to spend the money if it is called for. I’ve looked into Savvy Rest and Astrabeds and a few others and have taken them out so if you think i should reconsider…I’m all ears.

One more thing to note. We actually have a bed from one of the 6 above. We are in the trial period. We bought adjustable beds which we are keeping but we do not like the Split King. We want to go with a true solid King and we will just both be up or down together :). Before we do our one time exchange and run out of our ability to return I wanted to revisit and do a bit more homework. Now, while we love the latex we do have some concerns as we are looking at this mattress 2 weeks in. It does appear to be “sagging” a bit. Almost like pushing two pieces of bread together on a PB&J and the PB&J is squeezing out the sides. Sorry…looking at my 2 year olds sandwich as I type. Almost seems the mattress cover is not holding up the latex very well.

So, there it is. Thank you in advance for any thoughts. We love the idea of latex and want your opinion of who is the best in the business. After a few replies I will attach a photo of the “sagging” and see if that is just latex or if I have a justifiable issue.

Hi mikelongre,

[quote]The contenders (in alphabetical order and not my order of preference):

1. Brooklyn Bedding
  2. Flexus
  3. FloBeds
  4. Foam Sweet Foam
  5. Plush Beds
  6. SleepEZ[/quote]

All of these (except Plushbeds and Foam Sweet Foam) are members here which means I think very highly of them and I believe they compete well with the best in the industry.(NOTE: Foam Sweet Foam are now a member of this site as well).

Regardless of their membership though … when you are down to final choices between good and good then the “best” choice for you will depend on your more detailed conversations with each of them about the options they have available and which one you believe is the best match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) along with how each of your finalists compares to each other in terms of all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you. You are certainly looking at some very good quality/value options.

The quality of a mattress depends on the type and quality of the materials and components inside it but all of the options you are considering use similar materials (assuming you are only looking at “all latex” mattresses). You can see some of my comments about Astrabeds and some of their sister companies in post #2 here and in post #3 here and a forum search on Astrabeds (you can just click this) will bring up more information as well. I wouldn’t put them in the same category as the others you are considering. Savvy Rest is also a very good quality choice with good exchange options (but no return options) but are in a higher budget range than the others you are considering that would be using the same or similar designs or materials. Of course if there is a Savvy Rest Dealer near you then the ability to test the exact mattress you are purchasing may be “worth” the premium price. I would consider Plushbeds to be a “better than average” option but they may not be in quite in the same “value” range as some of the others you are considering for most people. A forum search on Plushbeds (you can just click the link) will bring up more information and feedback about them as well.

When you are comparing your options I would also make sure that as much as possible you are comparing apples to apples in terms of the type and blend of latex and the design and layering of each mattress you are comparing (there is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here).

The latex is very unlikely to be sagging (that doesn’t happen with latex in 2 weeks unless there is a defective layer) and you probably just aren’t used to the “normal” feel and response of latex. You can read my reply here to similar comments.

There is no “best in the business” … only which manufacturer is “best for you” based on the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you. It would be great if you could attach a picture and if your latex is really “sagging” then it could be defective but it’s unlikely. The wool in the cover will compress a bit and a foundation can also cause sagging but it’s unlikely to be the latex.

Phoenix