Latex Allergies

Hi,

I submitted a post on May 29, 2019 (Safe mattress for Environmental Sensitivities/Multiple Chemical Sensitivities – https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/safe-mattress-for-environmental-sensitivities-multiple-chemical-sensitivities), where I’m looking for a mattress that does NOT contain latex, because I AM sensitive to latex.

I have the disability of Environmental Sensitivities (ES)/Multiple Chemical Sensitivities (MCS). While I’m not sure if I have a “true” latex allergy, or if I’m just “sensitive” to latex, due to my ES/MCS, I do know that I have problems with latex.

I can touch latex products without a problem (no hives, rashes, etc.), but I CANNOT inhale the fumes in latex products – whether it’s “natural” or “organic” latex. I can put on a pair of rubber gloves with no skin reactions, but as soon as I put the gloves anywhere near my face OR take off the gloves and hold my hands near my face, I have problems breathing. I’ve tried using a Talalay latex pillow from Sleep Country, and have received a sample of Obasan’s natural organic latex from their mattresses to “test out”. Even after months of allowing these products to air out and off-gas, I still could not bring the Obasan sample anywhere near my face; the pillow was so horribly strong, that I had to get rid of it, because the fumes – despite being off-gassed in my storage room – were permeating my entire apartment, making me nauseous and dizzy, and causing me breathing problems.

Even when a mattress is covered by material (before I became so disabled with ES/MCS, I had purchased a regular store-bought mattress), whether using a mattress protector, bed bug cover, or several sheets and blankets (I used a combination of all of these!!!), once the body heats up the mattress, the fumes leach out of the mattress, through the layers of materials, into my clothing, and into my body. To this day, I still have problems with the fumes leaching out of my mattress, which is likely why I am stuffed up every single night, and have respiratory problems. My mattress is fourteen years old!!!

I don’t know if my sensitivity to latex is CAUSED BY me sleeping on a latex mattress all my life, or if this is just one more “chemical” I don’t tolerate, due to my disability of ES/MCS. I am sensitive to ANY chemical that off-gasses VOC’s, and a host of other foods and plants (many that cross-react with latex, including marijuana – which causes me MULTIPLE health problems from just seconds of inhaling my neighbours’ smoke) that make life extremely challenging, especially when living in a multi-unit dwelling.

I do know that many people who have the disability of ES/MCS also have sensitivities to latex – but we are all different (i.e., we are not all sensitive to the same chemicals, or sensitive to the same degree – one person may have no problem, one may have mild skin reactions, or another may not be able to be in the same room with latex without an Epi pen handy!!!).

I hope this info helps. Feel free to ask any more questions if you’re interested.

craftyruthie