Latex Base Core in Two Halves.

Does anyone own a latex mattress where the base core is in two halves? Two halves as in a right side and a left side. After the one piece top layer/layers are added , do you notice any sagging in the middle where the two halves butt up to one another?

Hi DSW61,

You can see some comments about the pros and cons of split layers in post #2 here.

It can vary based on body types and the weight differences between a couple, your sleeping positions and how closely together you sleep, and on the specific design of the mattress and the firmness of the layers but if you were to ask a large number of people that sleep on split layer mattresses where all the layers are split (including the top layer) you would find that a large majority would say no and a small minority would say yes (although it would be virtual sagging with weight on the mattress when they sleep in the middle rather than visible sagging).

With a solid layer on top of a split base layer the small minority would be smaller yet.

Phoenix

Thanks for the link… I was looking at the 6" Dunlop latex base cores at Mattresses.net and they ship the queen in two halves because of weight. I’m going to call around tomorrow to see if there are any latex distributors around Atlanta. Latexco supposedly has a facility in Lavonia, GA so I’ll probably start with them to see if they can point me in the right direction.

I’m thinking of a setup that is loosely based on a 6" 36 ILD Dunlop latex base core, a 3" 28 ILD range Dunlop transition layer, and a 3" 22 ILD range Talalay topper… Just trying to reduce the bouncy feel I get from the all Talalay mattresses I’ve layed on by using the Dunlop in the lower layers. I did see one company on line that sells 100% Dunlop mattresses which may be an option.

Hi dsw61,

Post #3 here includes a list of many of the online manufacturers that sell component latex mattresses and many of them either use 100% natural Dunlop or provide the option to choose 100% natural Dunlop in some or all of the layers.

Phoenix