Latex Base Layer Thickness

It looks like one of the decisions involved in buying a multi layer all latex mattress is the base core thickness. The most common choices seem to be a 6" base layer with one or two top layers, or a design featuring 3 - 3" layers like the Spindle. I have a slight mental barrier with the first layer because the mattress industry tends to refer to that first layer as the “base core” layer. When I hear “base” or 'core" layer I immediately think of thicker being better, sturdier, etc. Am I better off just blocking out that mindset and looking at the mattress as one complete system, rather than a “base layer” that gets built onto with the layers above? I realize that the top layers use the layers below them, but is there a benefit in having a 6" first layer to support the layers above? Put another way, is it wrong for me to think of the first layer as a “support” layer or “base” layer., as in a 6" support layer or 3" support layer? Not sure if that makes sense.

Hi dsw61,

There are really two parts to your question.

The first part involves the pros and cons of having two 3" bottom layers (such as 3" + 3" + 3") vs a similar mattress that is the same overall thickness that uses a single 6" base layer (such as 6" + 3") and there is more about the pros and cons of each in post #2 here.

The second part of your question involves the pros and cons of a thicker mattress such as a 6" + 3" + 3" (12" total) mattress vs a thinner mattress such as 3" +3" + 3" (9" total mattress). In this case the thickness of a mattress or the number of layers or the thickness of any individual layers inside it is really just a side effect of the design and the design goals of a mattress and the thickness of any individual layers or the complete mattress is also only one of many variables that can affect the feel and performance of a mattress relative to any particular person (see post #2 here) and by itself isn’t particularly meaningful (see post #2 here). In some cases higher weight ranges (or a higher BMI) will sometimes do better with a mattress that is thicker than lower weight ranges or a lower BMI (see post #14 here for more about the effect of thickness) but even this depends more on the specific design and combination of materials in the mattress and on how well your testing or personal experience indicates the mattress “as a whole” matches your specific needs and preferences in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP than it does on just the thickness itself.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix. I’m going to call Spindle today to get their input.

Visited a mattress store today that sold Savvy Rest. They had a range of configurations to try out. My favorite was the 3" Dunlop Firm - 3" Dunlop Medium - 3" Medium Talalay. Price was $3400 though, so that one is out… None of the mattresses felt too bouncy though, so I’m over that concern. I also no longer have a concern about a 3 - 3" layer mattress configuration. IMO, that configuration is perfectly fine. Savvy Rest won’t give out their ILD figures, which is smart considering their business model. Don’t blame them one bit. Their layers are listed as “Firm - Medium - Soft”., and they rearrange those three layers to come up with different feels. It’s amazing how much the feel can change by doing that.

Hi dsw61,

Thanks for the update. It’s good to see that you had the chance to test some different layering combinations in person.

I agree that when you are testing a mattress locally that disclosing “comfort specs” isn’t necessary or an important part of transparency because you can “feel” whether any of their layering combinations are a good “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP regardless of what the actual numbers may be so ILD’s are a legitimate part of “proprietary” information. They are also well aware that many of their customers are just “showrooming” their mattresses and may be intending to purchase a similar mattress online so they would have no reason to disclose ILD information to a potential customer.

Having said that … most online manufacturers that sell component latex mattresses would have a good idea of which of their layering combinations would be the closest approximation to the Savvy Rest configuration that you preferred.

Phoenix

Called four of the well known on line mattress sites that sell latex mattresses and three of them can sell a mattress comparable to the Savvy Rest , for about $1,500; give or take $50. That’s delivered. The Spindle can’t do the Talalay top layer. Their queen all Dunlop is about $1,283 with the 5% discount… Still trying to figure out how to get up to visit Engineered Sleep in Greenville, SC. The more I speak with them, the more I think they could be an option. I’ll just say that if everything they are telling me on the phone is legit, they may have a lot more capabilities than their website would suggest. Won’t know for sure until I see their facility.

Latex laminate is 0.04-0.06 mm. This is the layer between the latex foam and the waterproof top layer. For 100 mils denier fabric, the thickness of the layer of the latex laminate is about 4 - 6 mils. The thickness of the latex layer does not change much, whether a film or printed (non-film) method is used. The best womens base layers I have owned are made with the best wool.