Latex beds in Utah

The only latex beds I’ve been able to find in Utah to try, are the PLB beds and a couple by Diamond Mattress. I loved the PLB Beautiful. I also kind of liked the Diamond mattress, which had similar specs: all talalay 5 1/2" 36 support core, 2 1/2 " 24, and 1 1/2" 19. The strange thing was they also carried a pillowtop version of the same bed that had an additional 2 1/2" of 24 ild and it was much softer than the other, almost too soft. That didn’t make much sense to me after all the reading I’ve done on this site.

I’m at a loss as to what to do. We can’t really afford the PLB bed and I’d like to order a bed online, maybe from sleepez, but I can’t find anywhere else that actually carries the 19 or 21 ,24 and 36 latex and I’m afraid of the differences even though they are small. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I also tried the all latex mattres by Denver Mattress and didn’t like it at all.

Hi lhdcsm,

You can read more about the different specs that can affect how soft or firm a mattress feels in post #4 here and you can read more about the effects of thicker layers (or a thicker mattress) in post #14 here but in general terms it would be normal for thicker layers of material in the comfort layers in a similar firmness range (such as you would likely find in a pillowtop) would generally feel softer than thinner layers of the same material.

There is also more about “matching” one mattress to another one in post #9 here but even relatively small differences in a mattress such as the thickness of each layer (especially in the upper layers) or the firmness level of each layer and the type of cover and quilting can certainly make a difference in how a mattress feels and performs. Some people will notice the effect of relatively small differences much more than others. The more differences there are between the design of two mattresses the more difficult it will be to predict how closely two mattresses will compare in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).

The advantage of the SleepEZ mattresses and other component mattresses that allow you to choose the type and firmness of each layer is that you can change the design and layering of a mattress after a purchase (by re-arranging or exchanging layers) to change the comfort and support of the mattress but when you can’t test a mattress in person to see how closely it compares then the best approach is a more detailed conversation on the phone with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer so they can help you choose the initial layer combination out of the options they have available that has the best chance of being closest to the mattress you are using as a reference point. In many cases a mattress can have a different design but be just as good a “match” for you in terms of PPP as another mattress (although it may still “feel” different) even though the design is different. In addition to the ability to rearrange or exchange layers … a good return policy can also lower the risk of an online purchase.

This is just part of the tradeoffs that are involved when you are looking at an online purchase vs a local purchase that you can test in person (see post #2 here) and which direction is best for you depends on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you. There is also more in post #13 here about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between the “risk” and “value” of two different mattresses but the first step with any online purchase you are considering is a more detailed conversation on the phone.

I’m not sure where you are in Utah but if you are close to Salt Lake City then the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the area are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix