Latex Choices

Hello…
I am considering this Therapedic Latex mattress, as was referenced in one of the posts on this site in 2013, see below. It feels very comfortable, has the right support for my husband and I and appears to be a good value. However, when I compare it to other latex mattresses we like, I wonder why is it so inexpensive? I don’t want to spend more than I have to, but I also would love to get a nice mattress with value. My question is, given the make up the components, do you like what you see in terms of the construction. I am unable to find many reviews on this particular model, but Sleep Nation indicates it is their biggest seller with fewest complaints.

Thank you!

Post from 2013:

[Hi mattress shoppers and our kind host, Phoenix.
I thought I would start a new thread on my latex mattress experience. I have previously posted about two latex mattresses that broke down within a week and my accompanying frustration.
www.themattressunderground.com/mattress-...gone-soft.html#16756
My second mattress was a Wazee St. firm from My Sleep Nation, near Denver. Sean was great about handling the exchange when it quickly developed body impressions and my wife and I started getting back aches. The mattress is 5 or 6 inches of zoned 30ILD talalay on top of 6 inches of 40 ILD talalay. www.mysleepnation.com/mattresses/latex-mattresses/wazee-st/
[/b][/i]

Hi jbrennan,

The Wazee uses 11" of 100% natural Talalay which as you probably know is a high quality and durable material so there are no lower quality or less durable materials or weak links in the design. The same comments would apply to any mattress that used the same materials because a mattress is only as good as its design and the quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label.

If you are confident that it’s a good match for you in terms of PPP then it would certainly be well worth considering as one of your finalists.

In terms of its price it would be more costly than some other similar mattresses that use the same amount of the same type of latex and less than others so it would really depend on which mattress you are comparing it to.

Phoenix

Thanks so much. The others that catch my attention are the Prana Super Vinyasa Luxury Plush and the Dunlopillo Retreat Lux Firm, but they are a lot more expensive, so not sure if they’re worth the extra expense. Certainly yummy though! Do you have any opinions on those, good or bad?

Hi jbrennan,

You can read more about the previous versions (up to version 4) of Pranasleep mattresses in post #3 here and in post #2 here and in post #3 here and in posts #1 and #2 here and a forum search on Prana (you can just click this) will also bring up more information and feedback about them as well.

The good news is they changed the design in version 5 and the top layers of polyfoam are now higher quality/density and are no longer what I would consider to be a weak link in the mattress in terms of durability but they are still in a significantly higher budget range than other similar mattresses and the top layers are still polyfoam so you would still be feeling and sleeping on polyfoam as much as latex. There is more about the new version 5 in post #19 here.

You can see the specs of the Pranasleep Super Vinyasa Luxury Plush here (click on overview) and as you can see there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress since they started using higher quality polyfoam in the top layers but I would still make some very careful value comparisons with other similar latex mattresses that use the same type and blend of latex (such as the Wazee) and are in lower budget ranges.

Outside of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences), a mattress is only as good as it’s design and the quality and durability of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer or the price of the mattress. I would always keep in mind that the price of a mattress often doesn’t reflect the quality or durability of the materials inside it. I don’t know the specifics of the materials in the Dunlopillo Lux Firm so I can’t make any meaningful comments about it but if you can find out the information listed in this article about the materials in the mattress and post it on the forum (the retailer should be able to provide this to you) I’d be happy to make some comments about the quality and durability of the materials and the mattress as a whole.

Phoenix

Thank you! Do you have a favorite Latex mattress in a mid range price point and a higher price point?

Hi jbrennan,

I don’t have any specific suggestions because you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own personal testing or sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

I can certainly help you to narrow down your options by identifying any lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress, help you identify and focus on the better quality/value options that are available to you either locally or online, act as a fact check, answer questions you may have along the way that I am able to help with, and help with “how” to choose but only you can decide which specific mattress that is the best match for you in terms of PPP. The “best” general suggestion I can make about “how” to choose would be to follow all the steps in the tutorial one at a time which would give you the best chance of making the most suitable, the most durable, and the best “value” choice based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including your budget range of course).

My previous reply includes the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Denver area and if you are also open to an online purchase then the tutorial also includes a link to a list of the members here that sell mattresses online (in the optional online step) that compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency and many of them also make latex and latex hybrid mattresses that use different types and blends of latex that have a range of different designs, options, features, return and exchange policies, and prices that that would also be well worth considering or that you can use as a reference point for pricing.

Phoenix