Latex DIY comfort layer

Hello, Mattress Underground folks,

I built this:

3" 46D from SOL
3" 34D from SOL
3" 28T from Mattress Topper
2" Serene foam

I’ve tried some other builds but returned my other components, and I generally get the sense that serene foam single-handedly causes hammocking (mild in the current build, but enough to cause lower back pain). I am 6’ 0" and 230 lbs. Stomach/side sleeper.

I am trying to decide on what to replace the serene foam with… So far, I’m thinking either a 4 or 5 lb memory foam (3"). I don’t have much issue with sleeping hot, and I generally enjoy memory foam. I might consider a 3" soft talalay, but I’m not sure if that would be too soft. I think I want a 3" comfort layer, as the 3 bottom layers feel like support more than comfort… but the serene foam is so soft that my hips sink through yet my shoulders don’t.

So yeah, something firmer and thicker than the serene foam seems like my best bet. What do you think?

@Sleep_EZ

@Arizona_Premium

Hello mycodelirium and thanks for reaching out on this! Have you considered just taking the serene foam out and sleeping on just the latex layers you have now? This will definitely make the mattress firmer and wouldn’t cost you anything.

1 Like