Latex DIY layers on adjustable frame

My husband and I are considering a DIY latex bed with 3 layers. Can we use a mattress like this on an adjustable frame? Will the layers stay secure and stable as we lift and lower head and foot of bed. We will most likely use a twin XL on a king frame.

Also, I am looking for suggestions on the build. We do both like a firm mattress.
Husband - 6’4" and 295 lbs, sleeps mostly on side.
Wife - 5’3", 165 lbs, starts out on back, and also sleeps on side - sometimes on stomach. I have hip pain at times so I would be interested in a layer of softness at some level but I do not like memory foam mattresses because I get very hot when sleeping.

Thank you for your guidance.

Hi Comfysleep and welcome to the forums! And thank you so much for the inquiry! There is so much friction between the layers that you really shouldn’t experience and issues with the layers sliding, especially once all the layers are in a mattress cover. Aside from that, most adjustable bases have a retainer bar at the foot of the bed that keeps everything in place. We ship about 30 mattresses per month along with adjustable bases and we get zero complaints in this regard, so I’m sure you’ll be just fine!

Based on the information you’ve provided, we would normally recommend three 3" layers with medium Talalay over medium Dunlop over firm Dunlop for the husband’s side and soft Talalay over medium Dunlop over firm Dunlop for the wife’s side. However, if you both prefer firmer mattresses, then I think the husband would be OK on medium Talalay over firm Dunlop over extra firm Dunlop, and the wife would do fine on medium Talalay over medium Dunlop over firm Dunlop.

The top Talalay layer should provide all the contour and pressure relief needed to avoid any pressure point issues and will add secondary support to the mattress. Secondary support is needed to fill in the gaps between your body and the mattress – back sleepers normally need secondary support to fill in the gaps between the small of their back and the mattress; side sleepers normally need secondary support to fill in the gaps between their mid-section and the mattress. If these parts of a person’s body aren’t supported by the mattress, their muscles will work throughout the night to hold these parts of the body up, and by the time they wake up they’ve got back pain. So the top 3" of Talalay latex will provide contour, pressure relief, and secondary support. The remaining Dunlop layers should provide all the support needed to maintain proper spinal alignment and avoid back pain. Please keep in mind that our initial recommendations have a 90% success rate (we only have a 10% layer exchange rate and a 3%-4% return rate) so there’s a 90% chance that the above recommendation works perfectly for you.

1 Like

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me. I will check out your site.

I read in a different post that you normally recommend 4 - 3" layers for a person over 280 lbs. Since my husband is 6’4" and 295 lbs. should we go with 4 layers? If so, can you make the recommendation for him and myself (5’3", 165 lbs. We do like a plusher top feeling, but like to sleep on firm mattresses. My husband mainly sleeps on side and I sleep on back, side and stomach with arm up under my pillow. Thank you.

I normally recommend 4 layers of latex for folks over 300 pounds, and since his weight is spread over a greater surface area than the average person since he’s so tall, I really think you would be just fine on three 3" layers. However, if you’d like to get 4 layers, you would just get extra firm for the bottom 4th layer.