Latex Encasement

I’m thinking about going with a DIY latex mattress. I already own an organic cotton dust mite mattress encasement. Would that be protection enough for raw latex layers to save me from buying another cover? From what I have read about latex, it is naturally dust mite resistant so my thought about using the dust mite cover is not necessarily for preventing dust mites, but more for protecting the latex layers.

Hi kll4,

If you are attracted to the idea of designing and building your own mattress out of separate components and a separate cover then the first place I would start is by reading option 3 in post #15 here and the posts it links to (and option #1 and #2 as well) so that you have more realistic expectations and that you are comfortable with the learning curve, uncertainty, trial and error, or in some cases the higher costs that may be involved in the DIY process. While it can certainly be a rewarding project … the best approach to a DIY mattress is a “spirit of adventure” where what you learn and the satisfaction that comes from the process itself is more important than any cost savings you may realize (which may or may not happen).

If you decide to take on the challenge then I would either use the specs (if they are available) of a mattress that you have tested and confirmed are a good match for you in terms of PPP as a reference point (the same type and blend of latex in the same thickness and firmness levels and a very similar cover which can also make a significant difference to the feel and performance of a mattress) or use a “bottom up” approach (see post #2 here).

A mattress encasement and a mattress cover (or “ticking”) are completely different products and designed for different purposes so one is generally not a suitable replacement for the other. There is more about the differences between them in post #6 here.

Phoenix

Thank you, I suspected that, but just wanted to ask. So I’m deciding between the zip off wool felt ticking from diynaturalbedding.com (Our Manufacturer Memberships :: The Mattress Underground) and the 6" cotton cover from sleeponlatex.com (https://sleeponlatex.com/products/organic-cotton-cover-1). If I go with the sleeponlatex cover, I will purchase the wool puddle pad separately as this is for a child’s bed and she still has an occasional accident. The total price is roughly the same. Do you have any experience with either of these covers to be able to recommend one over the other in terms of quality and comfort? I realize the diynaturalbedding cover is 100% certified organic whereas the sleeponlatex cover is not certified. At this point, I don’t care too much about that though.

Hi kll4,

I don’t have any personal experience with either cover but based on the descriptions there are some differences between them.

As you know the cover from diynaturalbedding has the puddle pad “built in” and you would be sleeping more directly on the wool. The puddle pad can be zipped off to air out in the sun or washed. The side panels and the bottom are an organic cotton twill which is a little stronger than a cotton knit but will also have less stretch (which is less important on the sides and bottom of a cover).

The cover from Sleeponlatex is an organic cotton stretch knit that would be thinner and not as strong as the twill but it will be more stretchy than the cotton twill. The top and side panels can be removed for washing. In the 6" or thicker versions both pieces would be organic cotton as well.

Thicker covers will also protect the latex against oxidation more effectively (see post #3 here and post #3 here)

If you need more specific information about the materials or how they feel then they would be the most reliable source of information about the specifics of their own covers (both of them are knowledgeable and reliable businesses that will give you accurate information) and a more detailed conversation with each of them would be the best way to decide between them.

Phoenix