Latex foam over innerspring questions

Hello all,

I’m interested in a spring/latex foam hybrid mattress and came across APM’s offering. The value of the Ultimate Hybrid versus other competitors seems terrific. I have two questions that I’m hoping the forum can answer:

1. Many of the other latex over spring mattresses seem to have a thin base layer of either latex or polyfoam below the innerspring. Are the innersprings more prone to damage without this base layer underneath it? It would also seem that the thin layer would help bridge the gaps between the slats in a slatted base. Is this something I should be concerned about?

Also, since the innersprings are not encased on the bottom, would this mattress flop around a lot and be prone to damage when moved? As a military guy that moves around a lot, I would definitely value some rigidity to the mattress for when I haul it around a house, up/down stairs, in/out of a moving truck. And I would definitely value some protection to the mattress on those occasions when I opt to go with professional movers, which aren’t necessarily always the most gentle with your stuff.

1. Does anybody know if the Ultimate Hybrid is available with a blended Talalay Latex top instead of the All Natural Latex? Wouldn’t a blended layer be more durable and possibly bring down the price further? Also, are there any breathability differences between natural and blended latex? I tend to sleep hot, and I’ll be moving the Dominican Republic in a few months, so both breathability and mattress that sleeps cool are important factors for me.

JP

The only reason to pollute the mattress with polyfoam is for roll packaging purposes. It’s a buffer when the high compression machines fold the coils in half to prevent damage to the coils. We vacuum pack our coils here and do not fold the coils in half so there is no reason to add all those chemicals to our hybrids. Of course we can substitute blended for all natural, just let us know and we can refund the difference in price. There is no difference in breath-ability between the two.

Thanks for this reply, I have the same 2 questions as the original poster- I didn’t see an answer to the first question about having a thin layer of latex or poly foam beneath the innerspring. Is damage to the coils something to be concerned about with the coils resting directly on the slatted base?

Thank you!

As long as you have a cover on it and the slats are no more than 3" apart you should not have any damage to the coils.

[u]HI Arizona-
question about which one of your latex layers to consider:

I have 4 inches to work with for transitional and comfort layer over a very firm and supportive inner spring mattress (which has minimal comfort layer of its own). 4 inches is because I’m matching the height of my wife’s Twin XL bed next to mine.
I like memory foam as a top layer, but 4 inches of memory foam is too soft, despite trying different ones, and I sink in too much with 4 inches. So, I was thinking of keeping 2 inches of memory foam on top, and then getting one of your 2 inch latex toppers under the memory foam as sort of a transitional layer that would provide some support, being firmer and more supportive than memory foam. So maybe a higher ILD around 36 or so? what would you have available in 2 inch that may work? thanks![/u]

You are correct in that memory foam offers almost no support which is one of the many reasons we don’t sell it. I would go with 2" of #32 instead of #36. It will render a better transition for you.