Latex Hybrid Mattress Options

Recently ordered an all latex mattress, 3" firm dunlop, 3" medium dunlop, 3" medium talalay, with a 3" soft talalay topper. The mattress just isn’t working our for us. I do not have proper lumber support, and I have should pressure. Going more firm(moving firm layer up) increases lumbar support, back pain/stiffness goes away, but also increases should pressure.

I am considering a latex/coil hybrid as an alternative. One reason is I feel I will get more support from coils yet keep the latex feel. I tried this one today at Texas Mattress Makers. It seemed very comfortable. We like a luxury feel, plush, but supportive.

Can anyone tell me what coil system they’re using, it has 2025 coil count on a king?? Also what is the copper latex? What is the purpose? Any pros/cons?

This mattress is pricey. I am open to similar options if anyone can suggest. I have been looking at the Avocado Green, the Brentwood Homes Cedar, and like the “green” options these provide and they seem similar, yet have lower coil count. Any others I should consider? Thanks!!!

I can’t tell you about the Texas Manufacture, but had trouble finding a mattress that offered enough hip support but give on the shoulders. I originally ordered an Avacado and after a horrific ordeal with them would recommend another company. I went with mygreenmattress, the Natural Escape and am estatic how comfortable it is for me. The other one that was close to getting purchased was Arizona Mattress, and I believe I would have been happy with them.

I should also add, I tried the Nest Hybrid Latex and found it to not have enough support (I am a bit dense, 6’, 230 pounds, 46" jacket, 36" waist). I am fortunate to have a Nest store nearby so went and tried it. I will say they were very nice and no pressure like traditional mattress retailers. My wife ended up with a pillow from them she loves.

Hi kai920.

Sorry to hear that your new mattress did not work out for you.

The Quantum Micro unit appears to be similar to the Quantum pocket coil product offered by Leggett & Platt and you can see the spec sheet here, and the info that TMM provides directly about unit here. These are smaller diameter “pocket coils” that allow for more coils to fit in the same space used as support systems. They are a high quality and more “premium” pocket coil support system that you would find in more premium mattresses.

Some of the latex producers use fillers in their specialty products (such as TGs “Talalay mineral”) but the Cu in it is microencapsulated as to mitigate the antagonistic impact copper has against latex. (Microencapsulating with the size of the capsule is smaller than 1 mm is used against PCM leakage) and is also used to improve the processability and heat transfer (due to the increased surface area) of the PCM. The amount of Cu that is added to the latex is, of course, part of a formulation which is proprietary, but it would be done in such a quantity as to not negatively impact durability. The benefits of Cu used as a filler in both memory foam and latex are connected with its thermo-conductive properties, I know that copper fillers in Memory foam and latex are advertised as having side “health benefits” (like copper bracelets) but to my knowledge, these benefits have not been proven in copper infused foams. The main benefit for adding Cu to latex or memory foams would be for thermal conductivity (which generally is not an issue with latex, to begin with) so I personally would not make a priority to choose one over the other (with or without copper)

As you know … Texas Mattress Makers is one of the members of this site which means that I think highly of them and I believe they compete well with the best in the industry. While I don’t know the specifics of the mattress you are considering … the odds are good that it uses high-quality materials and has no weak links.

Both mattressess you are considering have no weak links, in their construction and use good and durable materials, but only you can determine if these are suitable for your personal needs and preferences. The Avocado Green Mattress uses 2" of 75 kg/m3 (plush) Dunlop and 1" of 95 kg/M3 (firm) Dunlop. The pillowtop version adds 2" of 85 kg/M3 (medium) Dunlop. It is 100% NR latex. It uses the Leggett and Platt Quantum Edge Bolsa Nested innerspring unit. This mattress features good quality and durable materials, and there would be no “weak links” in its componentry. The cover is wool and organic cotton. But I would keep in mind that it has no fine tuning options if it turns out that it does not fit you and the only ability to customize is to add the pillowtop option.
The Brentwood Cedar uses: Cotton ticking quilted to wool, tufted design.2" Dunlop Latex (5.3lb medium-firm, 4.0lb medium plush)2" 4.7 lb Groved Dunlop Flaxseed Fiber pad 8" pocketed spring system (I believe the Leggett and Platt Quantum Edge Elite Combi-Zone) Coconut husk support layer.

If you’re unable to test either of these mattresses in person, then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with the manufacturer. They can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know much more about “matching” their specific mattress designs, options, and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Phoenix

Thank you for the question. I would ask for a complete description for each layer to make a better comparison with other models.

Sorry for the short reply earlier, I was up in the mountains of AZ enjoying the cool pines and poor internet connection. The Texas mattress does have solid construction but I’ve seen several good companies using the selling features of copper infused latex but losing those benefits by burying it under other layers that take away those very benefits. If you are going to pay the extra money for copper infused latex then you need to be as close to it as possible which is why we sell it only as a topper, not integrated into our beds because just a simple quilted cover can greatly reduce the benefits of the copper. If you are just trying to duplicate the feel then blended or natural talalay will have the same feel and might cost less. Perhaps they have a similar model that is less expensive using that latex.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I have been searching for different latex over coil options. I started chatting with someone from Luma who asked me about my current setup. In short, he’s telling me my current setup is just wrong, and that their all latex option is better than the hybrid, because “any properly designed latex base is better than a coil base.”

I have a Sleep EZ setup. It is a 9" mattress, 3" Firm dunlop, 3" med. Dunlop, 3" med. Talalay. I also have a 3" soft tally topper. The topper is in it’s own cover, not inside the mattress cover. In this setup, it does not give me support I need. My lower back hurts. If I move the firm layer up, it feels like sleeping on concrete. My shoulders hurt as well (side sleeper). I haven’t been able to find a combo that works.

The Luma rep is saying that 6" of base layer latex works better than two 3" layers. Their’s is a 6" base of firm dunlop.

He is also saying that my 3" mattress layers glued together would work better.

Does any of this make sense, or is he trying to upsell me to their all latex system???

Our most popular configuration is 6" of latex with 3" over that not glued. If it’s glued you do not have the option to make a comfort exchange if it’s wrong. Side sleepers generally do better with soft on top so I’m not sure why the SleepEZ setup is not working for you. Maybe a firm, medium, medium would be the way to go. I generally recommend a Medium 6" core with 3" of soft for a side sleeper under 200 lbs.

I am willing to try either a hybrid latex over coils, or an all latex with a 6" core.

So I guess the question is, if I managed to get the right setup in an all latex, should it be more supportive than a hybrid?

Hi kai920.

As Arizona is on a short vacay and will not be able to follow up with you up to the end of the week I am stepping in to offer some input.

Depending on the mattress construction and design and also on your unique needs and preferences, both mattress types (hybrid and all latex) have equal chances of being supportive enough for you, Questions such as yours are very common on the forum. (ie. which mattress type or firmness level would be better for me?) and there is some fairly extensive general information in the mattresses section of the site (particularly in the sections about sleeping style, preferences, and statistics along with putting the layers together and the page on on tips and tricks here) that can give you some general concepts, guidelines, and insights about the effects of different body types, sleeping styles, and mattress designs for different people but this is only generic and not specific to any particular person and may be more complex than you really need to know … so I am glad that you reached out to our Expert Members for some guidance

[quote]He is also saying that my 3" mattress layers glued together would work better.
Does any of this make sense, or is he trying to upsell me to their all latex system???[/quote]

I wasn’t privy to your chat with him and I wouldn’t know the context in which the suggestion was made, but if you scan through the above readings you’ll get an idea of the larger perspective from which all TMU Expert members are operating which giving advise with the consumer best interest at heart (regardless if a consumer purchases from them, another member or a nonmember altogether). If you take some time to comb through few expert replies (e.g. this post here) you’ll quickly realize that the advice based on the customer circumstances, needs and preferences and none of the experts are concerned with trying to upsell a product. You already have an all latex mattress and from what you describe I am not sure if you exhausted all the fine-tuning possibilities that your construction has to offer (including interchanging the topper layer with one of the layers within the cover and using only 3 layers instead of 4.

Sometimes even with the best guidance a particular mattress or construction may not best match for you because there are far too many variables and unknowns (body types, sleeping styles, preferences, physiology, age, health conditions, sensitivities, special circumstances etc.) and no formula, specs (either yours or a mattress), or “theory at a distance” based on basic height/weight/sleeping position information or another person’s experience can possibly be more accurate than your own careful and objective testing that you can use to decide if a particular mattress suits you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal Preferences). Based on your in-home testing, by now you seem to have a pretty good idea now of what works and what does not work for you. To make sure you don’t leave any stone unturned I’d suggest you reach out to SleepEZ themselves and detail you experience as they would be the best to further assist you or determine if they reached the limits of what their mattress has to offer, as are much more familiar with their own mattress designs and materials than anyone else and they can use the information you provide them including your history with the mattress/topper combo experiments to make suggestions based on the “averages” of other customers that may be similar to you

Hope this helps

Phoenix