Latex hybrid similar to Urban Mattress Bloom Iris Firm

Hi there. Thanks for this amazing resource! I’ve been doing some research and have decided I want a latex hybrid mattress to replace my ancient innerspring. I’m 5’2", 185 lbs and a combo/side sleeper. I tried a few options at my local Urban Mattress and found that I really liked the Bloom Iris Firm, but I didn’t love the price tag (or the fact that it has a cold foam layer, as I’m trying to stick with natural materials). As I understand it, the stats for this mattress are 4" of talalay latex (not sure of density) over 6" coils (14.5 gauge, with 13.5 gauge around the perimeter), with a 1.5" layer of 3lb cold foam. I would love a recommendation for one of the online options that has a similar feel to the Bloom Iris Firm mattress.

These are the ones I’ve been looking at so far, with some questions:

• Eco Terra Hybrid Latex with 3" of medium-firm latex (29-31 ILD) over 15g coils (16g around the perimeter) - this seems like a good option, but I’ve read some reviews from folks saying this mattress is too soft, even with the med-firm layer versus the medium
  • Latex for Less Hybrid with 3" of med-firm dunlop (D85) - not sure of the gauge of the coils, and have read reviews also saying this mattress is too soft
  • Sleep EZ Hybrid Latex on the firm side (2" of firm dunlop over 16g coils (15g around the perimeter) with 3" of soft dunlop on the bottom) - worried the 16g coils will make this too soft, even with the firm layer on top
  • Arizona Premium Ultimate Hybrid Latex, likely with 3" of firm dunlop (30-34 ILD) since it’s over 17g coils which I’m worried will be too soft (though it has 14g coils in the center 1/3 of the mattress)

Thanks in advance for suggestions!

Hey,

If you dont know the firmness of the Bloom mattress, you really cant get anywhere. But most likely it was medium. Do you know if it is Dunlop or Talalay?

I personally hate Dunlop, but you might like it.

What is the price of the Bloom mattress? If you like it, why not get it? It might not be worth all the hassles of buying online and then returning constantly.

You also might try (National brand)King Koil latex (all medium Talalay) in Brook(Firm) or Genesis(Soft). I love the Brook and I am 5 ft 11in and 225 pounds. Another national brand is Posh and Lavish with Talalay top layer and Dunlop lower layers. I loved the King Koil Brook Firm. Check it out!

John

The Bloom Iris that I tried was firm. And now I see that it only has 0.4" (i.e. less than a half inch) of talalay in the top layer - there is no latex comfort layer, instead there is a “plant-based high resiliency foam” which I don’t want. So I’m really back at square one.

Definitely check out King Koil Brook(Firm) all Talalay and Posh and Lavish as far as national brands.

For online, check out FloBeds Vzone and SleepEZ. I may pull trigger on Flobeds myself because 100% Talalay.

I like Tempurpedic Luxe Adapt Firm myself. Sort of magical.

Im getting Tempurpedic or Latex myself. Why not Latex hybrid? You can change out coils to your preferred firmness.

John

Im extremely sure that a 100% all talalay mattress like King Koil Pure Latex Bliss Brook Firm will feel even better than the Bloom mattress.

I did lay on a few Dunlop mattresses like Saatva ZenHaven……didnt like it at all. But what you and I like might be worlds apart.

Im just a wise consumer!
John

Thanks for your feedback! A bit more about me- I’m used to the feel of a spring mattress, but I know I like the feel of dunlop because it’s what my daughter has (8" medium dunlop from Sleep on Latex). So I think I would like dunlop over springs. I’d love feedback on those 4 options I listed above, and appreciate the other suggestions as well!

Spring mattress?

The best I have found are Aireloom Preferred Luxetop M1 and M2 in firm or plush(4 mattresses). I like M1 Luxetop Firm myself. M1 is 1 row of microcoils and M2 is 2 rows. “Well….M2 is 2 times better….right?” Not always.

I liked Aireloom M1 Firm over the $35k ViSpring mattress. Go figure.

Pro tip….dont buy Aireloom from Macys. Those are cheaper quality than boutique Aireloom M1 and M2.

Check it out!

John

Hi essbee.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum. :slight_smile: Thanks for sharing your journey here.

I can see you’ve sort of ended up back at square one because you’d like latex and have found that the mattress you tried has minimal latex and, instead, quite a lot of mystery density foam.

When a mattress says it has firm latex, that means it’s ILD is in a range of 29 - 33 (extra firm latex will have a higher number).

I will say, it’s really hard to rely on reviews with regards to feel because it’s SO subjective. To me, medium mattresses often feel firm and firm mattresses feel like the floor. So, my review of a medium/firm mattress would be “omg I should have just thrown a blanket on the floor because it feels the same to me!” which does very little to help you. Ultimately, what feels good and supportive for you is going to be entirely different for me, billyidol, etc.

If you like Dunlop, I think you’d be pleased with the Arizona Premium mattress you mentioned, and Ken Hightower (the owner) is exceptional and would be an incredible resource for you to connect with in choosing the right feel for your needs. He’d definitely have a solution for your concerns about the mattress being too soft.

Have you had any other questions arise in your search?

NikkiTMU

Thanks for the feedback here. I have currently narrowed down my list to the Avocado Eco Organic Hybrid and Spindle Organic Hybrid. Does anyone have feedback on either of those? Thanks!

Hi essbee.

Both of these are durable, quality products. We know Spindle personally and can vouch for their mattresses. I hope someone who has used either will chime in with personal experience!

NikkiTMU