Latex is a PAIN! Need Advice, Please

[quote=“Phoenix” post=38556]Hi jkozlow3,

I understand that these types of assessments can be somewhat subjective and some people’s experiences may be different for various reasons than the norm (including that people can perceive softness and firmness in different ways) … but the information I provided is accurate both from a theoretical point of view and from the perspective of what most people would actually experience.

I realize and understand that your experience may be different but it certainly wouldn’t agree with the experience of most manufacturers (who use thicker layers to create softer mattresses) or most people.

Phoenix[/quote]

Stack a 2" 19 ILD > 2" 24 ILD > 2" 28 ILD. 6 total inches of latex. If you add up the ILD on an inch-by-inch basis, the total ILD for all 6" is 142. The average ILD is 23.67.

Next, stack a 3" 19 ILD on top of a 3" 24 ILD. 6 total inches of latex. If you add up the ILD on an inch-by-inch basis, the total ILD for all 6" is 129 and the average is 21.5.

The 3" + 3" combo feels significantly firmer and sturdier than the 2" + 2" + 2" combo UNLESS you are feeling the floor more through the stack with the 2" layers. Then it feels firmer because you are feeling the firm floor - but the latex itself is softer feeling. I encourage you to test it out sometime.

That’s all I’m saying. Yes, thicker layers are softer in a way b/c it isolates you more from the firm. But if we could remove the variable of being able to feel the firm stuff beneath it, thinner layers are always softer than thicker ones.

And yes, a thicker bed is softer than a thinner one - all else being equal. No argument there whatsoever. Even the firmest latex is softer than any wood foundation. So the more total inches of latex, the softer the bed.