Taking the plunge...maybe

Hi Experts,

I thought I was convinced I would be buying a Shovlin mattress back in February, but I just could not bite the bullet on the price. Since then, we have just dealt with our existing mattress but it is time now I really need to move on. We are coming from a Serta Cool Elegance Supreme Plush mattress that is 11 years old and sagging horribly on both my wife and my side. You can see the camel hump in the middle.

So I have a few questions both generally and relating to SleepEz which is where I think I am headed (specifically to the 10" organic configured as follows):

My wife is 5’ 140lbs and has fibromyalgia - side sleeper
Her side: soft Talalay over medium Talalay over firm Dunlop

I am 5’9" and 205lbs somewhat athletic - side sleeper
My side: medium Talalay over medium Dunlop over firm Dunlop

Questions:

1. Coming from a 12" mattress, do you generally notice a difference in a 2" reduction? Am I missing anything other than aesthetics?
  2. I personally like the soft feel of the mattress we have now. I side sleep and when traveling I notice shoulder pain on firmer mattresses. Is my setup above conducive to potential shoulder numbing/pain or will it be soft enough like my current mattress (despite the sagging).
  3. Does anyone have any experience with the SleepEZ adjustable base? This is a must have for my wife.
    3a. Will it fit in between most King Size bed frames?
    3b. Will the bed frame make up for the 2" loss on the mattress height?

In summary, I actually loved my mattress until it has caved to the point I feel like I am falling in. I have copied a link to the mattress I found online. Serta Cool Elegance Mattress Reviews - Memory Foam Mattress | mattressEXPOSED.com - Your ultimate online mattress buying guide
Do you think the SleepEZ setup will compare to this mattress or be on the opposite side of the spectrum.

Thank you in advance everyone, and apologies for the long post.

Hi BrianV,

Sorry to hear your 11 year old Setrta is no longer working for you. As you know, any mattress you choose will be based on your Stats (height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health conditions) - thanks for providing those for you both! - and your PPP (Posture& alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). As higher BMI sleepers, it’s important to find a comparable comfort level, but also get good support.

The Serta Cool Elegance is a gel memory foam mattress, which, as is common with ‘major brands’ have proprietary names for their foams - ‘CoolTwist gel foam’ and ‘KoolComfort memory foam’ for which it’s impossible to find out the density or actual composition, making it impossible to asssess its suitability or durability for any sleeper…suffice to say I am surprised you got 11 years out of it!

The SleepEZ 10" Organic is the opposite in many ways; being organic, there are no allergens or potentially harmful chemicals in its composition, it’s Latex, one of the most durable and breathable of mattress materials, which provides great support and comfort for those who enjoy the feel of latex, and Trusted Member of the site SleepEZ is committed to providing quality sleep solutions and strives to match sleepers with mattresses that work for their specific body types.

As for your questions:

Coming from a 12" mattress, do you generally notice a difference in a 2" reduction? Am I missing anything other than aesthetics?

Yes, you may well notice a difference between a 10" and 12" profile mattress, though if you land on the perfect comfort/support formula for you … it should not be great enough to be discomforting once you are used to it (if it is, you could possibly add a topper if needed). higher BMI individuals generally are doing better with thicker mattresses as there is a more individual layers that would give more options to customize the “feel” and performance of the mattress either before or after a purchase which can be a benefit for some people that need to do some fine tuning of their mattress. Thicker mattresses will “act” softer for most people.
You can read @Phoenix on thicker mattresses/layers
in post #14 here.

The difference between a 2" and a 3" comfort layer can be quite dramatic and also depends on a person’s weight, shape, and sleeping positions. Side sleepers will notice it more (they are more likely to go “through” a thinner comfort layer) and feel more of the properties of the layers below it. The thinner a layer is … the more you will feel the properties of the layers below it

I personally like the soft feel of the mattress we have now. I side sleep and when traveling I notice shoulder pain on firmer mattresses. Is my setup above conducive to potential shoulder numbing/pain or will it be soft enough like my current mattress (despite the sagging).

Hard to say, as the Serta is definitely not of sufficient density for your body profile - for foams, we suggest any foam in a potential mattress has no more than an inch or so of lower grade foams (for memory foam no lower than 4 lbs/cuft for normal range weights, and 5lbs/cuft for higher range weights) and if polyfoam is used, with at least 1.8 lbs/cuft density, just to ensure you have support. You want a mattress that’s comfortable, but if the top layer(s) are too soft, you can sink in and bottom out on the firmer layers below. For your BMIs I would think the Serta foam was of lower density….you want comfort but also need support, which a good mattress manufacturer like SleepEZ can provide guidance.

Does anyone have any experience with the SleepEZ adjustable base? This is a must have for my wife. 3a. Will it fit in between most King Size bed frames? 3b. Will the bed frame make up for the 2" loss on the mattress height?

The iSleepEZ adjustable base is very popular and is well made; it should fit but I would ask them three recommendation. The additional frame height should make up for the lower mattress profile for your ‘sense memory’ that expects a surface at that height!

I think you are on the right path with SleepEZ
I wish you success and please let us know your experience once you had some time with the new mattress!

~ Basilio

Hi All

I am hoping you can help me again. I wanted to explain my mattress journey.

We came from a 10 year old Serta Cool Elegance plush memory foam mattress as stated in thread 1 above. We loved it but had to move on.

We did go with the custom latex setup from SleepEZ. Turns out we did not like the latex one bit. It was just too hard for us no matter what we tried. We took advantage of the fully refundable sleep trial and returned it. SleepEZ was excellent throughout the entire process.

Then we tried the Nest Sparrow (a hybrid). We’ve been sleeping on it for 3 weeks now and we are just not fully happy with it. We have a custom king and my wife got the plush and my side is medium. To be quite honest, I don’t think a hybrid is for us. My side feels like I am sleeping on a wood plank. There is no plushness and I wake up with shoulder pain (side sleeper) every day. I tried my wife’s side and I almost feel like I’m hitting the coils.

My wife isn’t getting a plush feel and also thinks the soft side is too hard. I think it just comes down to us needed a full memory foam mattress (similar to the cool elegance we are coming from).

That leads me to what’s next. Independant research has me leading to the Amerisleep AS5. I’ve tried to do some research on this site via search but there are a lot of old posts. So I am wondering if anyone had any success researching if there are weak links in this mattress?

This is frustrating as I have not had a good night sleep in over a month. But I’m not giving up hope and I know the right mattress for us is out there (I just think it is memory foam).

I looked at Amerisleep AS5. Looks like a plush mattress which means soft. AS5 is memory foam.

Seems like a lot of people hate Tempurpedic here….but you may like the ProAdapt Soft or Luxe Adapt Soft. Luxe is higher level foam than ProAdapt. I like Luxe Adapt Firm myself. Go to a Tempurpedic store to try it out. I feel Tempurpefic is the best in memory foam. Does it break down over time? Yes……but they all do.

John

1 Like

It is my understanding that Tempur recently changed its foam and it is now junk? Is there any truth to that?

I believe that Tempur has been changing it’s formula as an evolution from their original tempur materials to minimize complaints of sleeping hot, and I have no doubt that somehow it is less expensive to produce the more updated product, although you would think, technology comes with a price. I am not qualified to call it junk, as what exactly is junk anyway. One person says a product is the best and another says it’s garbage. They seem to be the predominant player in the memory foam market, so I guess they are happy with their marketing team. I know when I ordered my tempur cloud soft and conforming pillow back in 2017, it was a bit to thin and soft for me. I called TP and they basically told me I ordered the wrong pillow as I thought that all Tempur material was the same. They told me the only pillow that is the same formula as my 1993 original TP Neck pillow, was their current TP Contour Neck Pillow. They would not confirm the exact 5lb+ density, but they insisted it was the same, so a did a bogo on those because they would not allow me to return the two king cloud s&c. Those neck pillows were indeed firm like my original one from 1993 (that is now soft like a talalay pillow), but to my misfortune, was too firm for me 30 years later. I ended up doing another BOGO for the ProCloud Hi and it was the perfect feel when stacked on my TP S&C. Clearly, they have evolved with different formulas for different feels, heat reduction and durability characteristics to be more competitive in the market place. I think the fact that latex can be formulated to mimic memory foam albeit with different response characteristics, longer term durability, and the consumers push for more natural products, is forcing everyone to get more competitive. Perhaps it is more about adding new formulas rather than modifying the original. Or, maybe a combination of both.

Tempurpedic is not junk. All mattresses erode over time. Latex erodes the least. They wont tell you the ILD of each layer, but if you like it….who cares? Tempurpedic is one of the best selling and most ubiquitous brand. If like it, buy it. If you dont like it, dont buy it.

Is Tempurpedic the most recommended brand in America? Probably. Should that matter to you? No!

Tempurpedic is the best (my opinion) in the category of memory foam. Ive tried other memory foams and NOTHING comes close to Tempur foam.

If you dont like memory foam, try latex.

John

Try the Luxe Adapt Soft and Firm. Doesnt feel like junk to me. See how it feels to you!

John

Tempur Pedic is NOT junk

All - I am sorry I didn’t mean to call it junk. Was just relaying something I read about new materials.

So would you say there are no weak links in tempur?

1 Like

Well, everything has its weak links. I think in the viscoelastic memory foam class, tempurpedic is definitely the best in class. The question becomes, is viscoelastic memory foam, the best material for you in the first place. I just dont like their mattresses and the sleeping experience they provide. Their pillows, on the other hand, are awesome. I suppose you can consider the heat retention and sinking a weak link. But that is very subjective as there are people who like that. As I said before, what one person considers an item trash, to someone else it may be a treasure. Remember, they dont advertise that they sleep cooler than anyone else’s mattresses. Their advertisement is their newer models/technology, sleeps less hot than their previous models and materials. They still retain heat and are still too hot for some.