Latex Layering Advice

We have only found one local place to try out a Latex bed (Central NJ). They had two Englander latex beds. A “plush/soft” and a medium. They were Talalay. Neither of us liked the soft one. The medium Englander was ok and certainly WAY better than the bed we are looking to ditch. We’re convinced that Latex will work, now it’s just a matter of configuration.

Since many of the online latex mattress companies have flexible configurations based on 3 or more layers, we’ve decided to find a vendor, get an initial configuration, and work with them to tweak it using their exchange policy if necessary. We will ask the store what they recommend, but I want to have my own configuration idea, with a good reason backing it up. We think that going through the exchange process will be less time consuming/frustrating than seeking out stores.

So here’s where I am.

We’re currently considering natural Dunlop with 3 3" layers.

Me 215 lbs, stomach sleeper
Her 120 lb moves around back, side, stomach in that order. The uncomfortable current mattress could be forcing the different sleep positions. She also has a problem with pressure points.

We both prefer a firm feel.

The first vendor on our list of serious contenders uses Mountain Top 3" slabs. I believe they are also 7 Zone molds.

I know that Mountain Top has these firmness offerings:
C0 9.5-12.5
C1 11.5-14.5
C2 17.5-20.5
C3 21.5-24.5
C4 29.5-32.5
C5 33.5-37.5

Given my weight, it seems like we need a C5 in order to provide good support for my weight and to allow me to sleep on my stomach without sinking too far.

Another assumption I’m making is that it’s better to have a thicker/firmer support layer. This assumption forces me to have the support layers be C4 and C5.

I’m a little shaky on a starting point for my wife and dealing with here pressure point issues. I’m sure it’s a C2 or C3. My fear is that C2 will be too soft for me and possibly for her. Dealing with her pressure point issues is the top priority.

My Thought was to ask for C3,C4,C5 - a progressive setup that I’m hoping is firm, but supportive. We then have the option for something that may feel slightly firmer by re-ordering to C3,C5,C4. I would expect little to no change from my wife’s perspective since the C3 should support her pretty well, but I may see an increase in perceived firmness.

If my wife’s pressure point issue persists, we can swap the C3 for a C2 and can start with C2,C5,C4 for more of a differential approach. and then finally to C2,C4,C5 if slightly softer is needed.

I have the feeling that a combination of C2,C3, C5 (C5 would have to always be in the middle) would not provide a sufficient support core and we might as well save some $$ and create a 6" Mattress - Just C2/C5 or C3/C5 vs putting a comfort layer on the bottom. Does that seem correct?

I’m open to (encouraging :slight_smile: ) comments my assumptions and the C3,C4,C5 as a starting point.

Hi ekim,

When you can’t test a mattress in person (or a very close approximation of an online choice you are considering) … then your best source of guidance will always be the online retailer or manufacturer themselves because they will know more about the materials and components they use and which of the options they offer would likely be the best “match” for different body types and sleeping positions based on the “averages” of their customers than anyone else and are in the best position to help talk you through the initial layering choices that would have the best chance of success (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

I would also keep in mind that ILD specs are only one of several specs that can affect how soft or firm a layer feels (see post #4 here) and also that ILD ratings aren’t comparable between different types and blends of latex (see post #6 here). The Mountaintop Continuous pour ILD’s you listed for example won’t be a close match with other types of Dunlop latex.

An online component mattress can certainly make a great choice but outside of testing a very similar mattress in person (same type and blend of latex, same layer thicknesses, and a very similar cover) I would always base your choices on a more detailed phone conversation with the retailer/manufacturer that sells them.

Phoenix

I don’t think you need the C5.

C4, C4, C4 wicked firm.
C3, C4, C4 firm.
C3, C3, C4 medium firm.
C2, C3, C4 medium.
C2, C2, C3 soft.

Hi mcleanm,

Thanks for listing the configurations … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

Just for reference as well … Mountaintop doesn’t usually pour the C5 and it’s normally only available on a special order.

Phoenix

Thanks for the additional info. The C5 is off the list.

I’ve had a few email exchanges with the manufacturer. I’m leaning toward a split king setup. I’m a little scared to have the top layer split for fear of the transition being weird.

From what I’ve read that fear is unjustified or at least not a huge deal, but I can’t let it go. We can set up a King in whatever combination works best 3,4,5 or 6 pieces.

mcleanm did you happen to try any non-standard configurations while at the Spindle showroom?

For example C3,C2,C4?

I wonder if C3,C2,C4 would get you in between C3,C3,C4 or if it never makes sense to put a less dense layer under a denser one?

Hi ekim,

When you are looking for the best possible guidance from a manufacturer … I would make sure you have a more detailed phone conversation rather than using email (see post #2 here and post #4 here).

You can also read more about the pros and cons of split layers in post #2 here that may be helpful.

Phoenix