Latex Layers - Mid-Back Pain

Hi, Jeff,

I have a new Dunlop latex mattress. I started with two 3" medium layers and experienced back pain from my lower rib cage to my lumbar area. I swapped out the top layer for a soft, but am still experiencing the back pain. I am primarily a back-sleeper. I’m hoping you can give me some general advice. Should I change out the other medium for a soft as well?

Thanks in advance for your help.

All I can make are some general statements about what might be causing your issue. These can’t take into account your own level of flexibility, core strength, and sensitivity to pressure.

I don’t know if you’re sleeping upon only 6" of latex (it seems to be from your description), so I’ll go by that assumption.

If the two “medium” layers are too firm for you, it could cause low back pain as the hips tilt down and the lumbar / lower thoracic region aren’t supported as well.

If the product is too soft for you, this could allow a lateral curvature in the lower thoracic / lumbar region, and this also can cause discomfort in that area.

It also could be that having 6" of material isn’t creating enough of a cradle for you, and you may need to add an additional 2"-3" of comfort material to your existing set up.

Switching to a mattress totaling 6" of plush material generally won’t provide enough support to promote alignment.

I hope that information helps you out.

Jeff Scheuer, The Beducator
Beducation / Mattress To Go

Yes, you can try it. If still you experience back pain then I suggest you to buy a new comfortable mattress. A good mattress will provide you comfortable sleep. You can also check on the internet about Palma Sleep to find a suitable mattress for yourself.