Latex layers/toppers stored rolled up?

Hi, it’s been a few years since I’ve been active here. My family and I’ve enjoyed our DIY all latex mattresses in the meantime. :slight_smile:
Anyway, I was going to build a new twin XL mattress for my son now that he’s ready for a big bed. I noticed some new Mattress Underground trusted members and did some shopping around. I chose to get one of my layers from one of the newer members.

When the box arrived, I saw that there was a sticker on the outside of the box that said the pack date was April 2022. This alarmed me because everything I remember reading about latex says you should store it flat and that rolling it up for extended periods of time can damage the latex.

This got me also thinking: is this standard industry practice? Do all the latex sellers just have their stock stored rolled up and packed just waiting to ship out to customers? And maybe this company I ordered from just happened to forget to remove their pack date sticker? How would I even find out if the other company I’ve used for years also does this and I just have no evidence that they do this?

Anyway, I was wondering what Phoenix and other experts’ thoughts are on this. Should I just not worry about it and open up the topper? My first instinct was to contact customer support to ask about it and see if I can exchange it for one that is more recently packed.

Hi amnj, and welcome back after 6 years :slight_smile:

Rolling up or compressing any foam can indeed damage it, but latex rubber is a bit different from say, polyfoam or memory foam…due to its nature it will ‘bounce back’ once compressed in most cases. Compressed storage becomes an issue when it’s for a long period of time, in dusty warehouses at too cold or too hot of an environment, and also the method it was ‘rolled’.

It’s become more common to have manufacturers storing their foams this way due to space concerns, and having it in a more hand label form when it’s shipped. As this was sealed, you are likely fine - you could contact the Trusted Member you purchased it from to assuage your fears - if it does not ‘bounce back’ to its stated thickness, you should be able to exchange/return it (you might want to check on that with them as well).

Typically, our Trusted Members are careful to not store their products in a fashion that would damage or ‘wear’ the latex while it was in the warehouse…please let us know how it resolves!

~ Basilio