Latex layers: Would additional firm layer add support to add’l Soft layer?

Basilio give a kind and thoughtful response to my post in the general forum here and he mentioned that you might have helpful advice. TIA. https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/latex-diy-stack-any-way-to-fix.

Trying to find the right balance between support and plush w/my Dunlop layered mattress. I’m 5 foot 3-1/2, 155, BMI is 27.4. Side sleeper. Originally started with 2 layers of comfort (Soft+ Med Soft) over 2 layers firm (firm + X firm) and sunk in too much. Took out the Med Soft & subbed Med Firm & had some hip pain. Moved the soft outside the wool mattress cover and added a 2 inch gel foam topper, still trying this out.

Manufacturer suggested I use all 5 layers, add back the Med Soft. .
** Q: Would going back to 2 layers of softness but with the Med Firm inserted underneath them, for 3 core layers, counteract the previous sinking in with 2 softer layers on top? **

KADMAR1:

I’ll do my best to provide some information that might help you make sense of your experimenting. I can’t speak to how YOU’LL react to these different configurations, but I can try in real-world, over-simplified terms to explain what’s happening and why one configuration feels different from another.

For some a S/MS uppermost layer combo can allow for a bit more “sink” than they like. An interesting experiment using existing comfort layers can be to go MS/S to see if increased surface tension is desirable. If so, experimenting with MS/MS or S/MD/MF for the comfort layers could still allow for some good surface contouring with a bit more “pushback”.

If the “transition” from S to MF seems to be too “abrupt”, trying a MS/MF combo or a S/MS/MF combo could be alternatives to “take off the edge” of that transition.

Going effectively S/S creates an initial surface plushness that is softer than the original S/MS that you complained about sinking in too much. But by placing a stiffer layer (wool mattress cover) underneath the S/S, this creates some extra stiffness (minimizing some point elasticity) when transitioning to the layer beneath (I know that the mattress layers work in unison versus sequentially - just trying to lay out things logically why one arrangement feels different from another). For reduction of oxidation, UV aging, mechanical stresses, and protection from body oils and skin cells, I’m a fan of having all foam layers covered by encasements and/or mattress protectors.

By default, the opinion I tend to trust the most is that of the manufacturer, as they have the most actual and practical experience with their own products and what tends to work best with different body types and support/comfort requests. Sometimes people can find the S/MS “too soft” or not “substantial” enough before they “feel” the deeper more supportive F/XF layers. The addition of the MF for a S/MS/MF/F/XF combination can add some “supportive feel” to the uppermost layers (more so that just using S/MS) and provide a more “gentle” transitioning than just S/MF in the uppermost layers.

IMPORTANT TO NOTE
None of us on a forum can predict how you’ll respond or feel on different combinations of comfort materials. The best anyone can hope to do is relate how one combination might differ from another. We don’t know your levels of strength, flexibility, sensitivities to certain comfort/support changes, specific health issues, etc. I recommend trying out new configurations for at least 2-3 weeks (unless you try something and it immediately doesn’t work or cause bad pain), and only change one variable (specific layer or ordering of the layer) at a time.

Hopefully some of this information was helpful to you.

Thanks so much. I appreciate your detailed helpful reply.

An interesting experiment using existing comfort layers can be to go MS/S to see if increased surface tension is desirable.

This was the first change made at the manufacturer’s suggestion, reversing the 2 top layers, but back pain persisted till I removed one of them, hence my reluctance to go back to two.

I’m a fan of having all foam layers covered by encasements and/or mattress

I actually have the top 2 (gel foam topper and S latex layer) covered by the manufacturer’s cotton/wool mattress protector, all atop the wool cover. So that’s a little bit of surface tension added.

the opinion I tend to trust the most is that of the manufacturer

Agree; I’m sure the manufacturer also prefers I keep 4 layers of mattress plus the extra purchased 5th layer vs returning them.

The addition of the MF for a S/MS/MF/F/XF combination can add some “supportive feel” to the uppermost layers (more so that just using S/MS) and provide a more “gentle” transitioning than just S/MF in the uppermost layers.

Glad to hear this, fingers crossed.

I recommend trying out new configurations for at least 2-3 weeks

I’d love that; I think I’m on the fifth configuration ; and unfortunately I’m at the end of my trial period (I lost a month of nights between ship times and travel, and the seller already gave me an extra week). I need to return now or take a gamble I can make it work.