Latex Matress from the web

I have a Beautyrest Black, Helena firm. It was a great mattress for us, however is beginning to breakdown. Our shoulder pain is coming back. My husband is 260 pounds and I am 150 pounds. We both sleep on our sides, he also sleeps on his back. He is a hot sleeper. We both like the idea of latex. We have to order off the web as we are rural. Can you give us some ideas as to how to “match” our current mattress with a similar latex mattress we can order from the web? I am not sure how to get the right combination. I am not afraid to spend money on high quality materials if it mean we are sleeping well…

I should add we have a king bed and I find myself sleeping in the middle a lot. We also have small people climb in bed in the middle of the night so I don’t feel like a dual type mattress will work well. Thanks in advance

Hi BRiggs,

My reply would be the same as my comments in post #2 here to another forum member that also wanted to “match” a Beautyrest Black mattress.

I don’t know of any other similar mattress that is specifically designed to “match” your mattress so the “bottom line” is that the only reliable way to “match” your mattress with another one in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) with any certainty will be based on your own personal experience and comparisons.

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place I would start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

There is also more information in post #3 here and the posts it links to that would be helpful for those that are in higher weight ranges. While the process of how to choose a mattress would be the same … most people in higher weight ranges will generally need or prefer firmer mattresses (firmer materials will feel softer because you will sink into them more) and materials and components that are higher quality and more durable (the materials and components in a mattress will soften and break down faster for those in higher weight ranges than they will for someone that is in a lower weight range that doesn’t compress the mattress as much) so I would reduce or minimize the use of lower density materials that would be suitable for people that are in more “average” weight ranges (so if there are any they are only in thinner layers in the range of “about an inch or so”) and focus more on higher quality/density and more durable materials (5 lb or higher memory foam, latex, or 2 lb or higher polyfoam) … especially in the comfort layers of a mattress which are more likely to soften or break down before the deeper layers or components in a mattress.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area (just in case there is a retailer or manufacturer that is relatively close to you that you’re not aware of that may be worth considering).

If you are looking at an online purchase then the tutorial includes a link to a list of the members here that sell mattresses online (in the optional online step) and many of them also sell latex and latex hybrid mattresses that use different types and blends of latex that have a wide range of different designs, options, features, return and exchange policies, and prices that that would be well worth considering.

If you tend to prefer innerspring/latex hybrid mattresses (and there are many who do … see post #13 here), outside of any other local options that may be available to you some of the better innerspring/latex options I’m aware of are listed in post #2 here that may also be worth considering.

Phoenix