Latex Mattress Help

Hey everyone,

My wife and I are looking to invest in a latex foam mattress of some sort having read a lot on this web site and some others about the benefits of latex vs. memory form or air mattresses. I have read from some posts here that the Dreamfoam Ultimate Dreams latex bed is quite good for the price, however I am a 300 pound male so this bed might not be the best for me in the long run.

Would anyone have any other suggestions for a latex foam bed? I’d like to spend less than 1200 with a frame included.

Hi emperorboonday.

The first place I would start your research is the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to know how to the best possible choices.

While the Dreamfoam Ultimate Dreams latex mattress would be a great quality/value choice for most people … with your higher weight you will compress the deeper layers more and I would tend to look at mattresses that used higher density base foams or thicker layers of latex on top. Dreamfoam’s sister company Brooklyn Bedding would be well worth considering and the tutorial post also has a link to a list of the members here that sell mattresses online (in the optional online step) which includes many latex and latex mattresses with a wide range of features, designs, options, and price ranges.

There is more information in post #3 here and the posts it links to that would also be helpful for those who are in higher weight ranges.

The size of your mattress will make a significant difference in the price and you didn’t mention the size you were looking for but posts #3 and #4 here also includes a list of some of the lower budget latex and latex hybrid mattresses I’m aware of (under about $1000 in a queen size)

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know of some of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

Thanks for such a quick response Phoenix.

We are probably looking to get a king size, but queen could also be enough. It just depends on the value of the bed. I would consider either.

We live in Columbus, Ohio. I did happen to find the retailers you have listed for this area on the forum already.

Hi emperorboonday,

I’m glad you found the Columbus list. There are some good quality options in the area that would give you a chance to test different types of latex or latex hybrid mattresses that will be a useful reference point whether you decide to purchase locally or online.

Phoenix

My wife and I spent the day (literally almost the entire day) trying out mattresses at several different locations based on the Columbus list I found here on the forum. What we have found is that while I would be 100% happy with a latex bed of some sort, she would not. She especially didn’t like the feel of the latex when lying on her side. For me, the latex beds we tried (about 5 or 6 different ones) were all very good at supporting my bad back (I have a herniated disc in the lower back).

The next best thing we could find that we both really loved was the TempurPedic Grand bed. Don’t have that kind of money or want to waste it when I know there are supposedly other alternatives that are just as high quality for far less money. We would be willing to spend around $2k if we could find a mattress very very similar to the Grand bed.

I’m interested in the Restava Ravelli since they compare it to the Grand bed at a much smaller fraction of the price. Phoenix, would you recommend this bed? The only reason I’m considering ordering online is because they are a member here and I trust you guys. :slight_smile:

Or are there any other beds in that low $2k price range that you would say are more similar/better value?

Hi emperorboonday,

There are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone (including me) to recommend a specific mattress for someone else (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). Restava is one of the members here which means that I think highly of them but they have also recently changed their specs and and I am still waiting for updated information from them so I would hold off with a purchase from them until their new specs are clarified (see post #20 and onwards in this topic).

There is also more about the different ways that one mattress can “match” another one in post #9 here that you can use as a reference point when you talk with each manufacturer you are considering.

There are several manufacturers in the online memory foam list here that make a memory foam mattress that uses the Tempurpedic GrandBed as a reference point (including Restava, Select Foam, and Christeli) and there are also others who make memory foam mattresses that compare their mattresses to some of the other Tempurpedic mattresses as well (if there are also other Tempurpedic mattresses that are suitable for you in terms of PPP).

I would also keep in mind that how a mattress “feels” is fairly subjective and different people can have different experiences and perceptions on the same mattress so while some people may say that two mattresses are very close … others may perceive the same two mattresses as being more different. In other words … while two mattress may have similar levels of pressure relief and support they can still “feel” different and use different quality/density memory foams. This is part of the reason that a good return and exchange policy can be an important part of each person’s personal value equation so that you can decide how similar they are based on your own sleeping experience.

Phoenix

Great info again Phoenix, thank you very much!