Latex Mattress Help

Its time for a new mattress, and I was in Sleep Country Canada (im located in SW Ontario). I liked the following mattress:

sleepcountry.ca/products/tabid/131/products/459/mattresses/natura-naturaorganics-eco-balance/language/en-us/default.aspx
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: sleepcountry.ca/products/tabid/131/products/459/mattresses/natura-naturaorganics-eco-balance/language/en-us/default.aspx

It was regular price, and I didnt have much time to really work the salesman.

A couple questions that I have:

1. While I liked the mattress, Im assuming Natura are a little over priced?
  2. Is this a mattress that goes on a sizable sale? If not, how much could I work a saleman at Sleep Country?
  3. Are there similar latex mattresses available in Canada that are much better value? Suggestions?

Thank you for any assistance.

Rick

Hi tusker,

While it does use high quality materials (Talalay and Dunlop latex and a cotton cover quilted with wool) (unlike almost all the other mattresses that are sold at Sleep Country) … I don’t see any prices listed on their site but Natura mattresses are typically in a higher budget range than other similar mattresses.

I don’t know whether their Natura mattresses ever go on sale. I would keep in mind that the better manufacturers and retailers don’t generally “negotiate” or have “fake sales” with large discounts based on the time of year or holidays. While they may have sales with smaller discounts … I would treat retailers or manufacturers that negotiate their prices or have “major holiday sales” (that are often just rotating sales that only change their name at different times of the year) as a red flag because manufacturers or retailers that sell good quality/value mattresses don’t need to negotiate or have “fake sales” with misleading discounts to create a false sense of urgency and they sell good quality/value mattresses every day of the year at prices that are already very reasonable. There is more about “so called” sale prices in post #5 here and there is more about negotiating in post #6 here that may also be helpful but in general I would avoid businesses that use these types of misleading tactics and where the “perception” of value is more likely than “real value”.

While the price of a mattress is of course one of the more important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase … there are many other parts to the “value” of a mattress purchase as well and unfortunately there isn’t a “formula” that can be used to assess or “calculate” value because there are so many different variables and criteria involved that may be more or less important to different people. The “value” of a mattress purchase is also relative to the other finalists you are considering or to the other mattresses that are available to you in your area or online (if you are also looking at online options). There are many reasons that a mattress that may be “good value” for one person may not be worth considering for someone else.

There is more information about the 3 most important parts of “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

The mattress shopping tutorial includes this link (in the optional online step) to a list of many of the better online options I’m aware of that can ship to anywhere in Canada.

The better local options or possibilities I’m aware of in the London and Southwest Ontario region (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines I linked earlier in this reply) are listed in post #8 here.

Phoenix