Latex mattress holes

Dear Phoenix,

I have just noticed that some of the latex mattresses (such as the one in the attached file) have holes in them for ventilation. Is this all mattresses or just some and, if just some, is this a good idea as I would assume it impacts, to some extent, the nature of support you’re getting from the mattress.

With thanks

Sorry, attachment error. Here it is.

Hi soreback,

The attachment didn’t “take” for some reason. The forum allows file attachments in the txt,rtf,pdf,zip,tar.gz,tgz,tar.bz2 formats. If you are trying to link to an image … then the image link tags need to be used.

All of the highest quality latex foam has what are called pincores. They are used for two reasons. The first is that they are used to internally heat the latex layer in curing to turn it in into a durable foam (from a more jelly like consistency). The second is that varying the size of the pincores is part of how different ILD’s (softness or firmness) can be manufactured. All Talalay latex has these. All Dunlop latex that is made in molds also has these. The only type that doesn’t have these is some types of continuous pour dunlop latex which is made in thinner layers on a belt. These thinner layers can be cured without a pincore with external heat … although IMO they are less desireable and feel denser even than regular Dunlop latex.

While pincores do have a secondary benefit of ventilation … latex foam by nature is already breathable through it’s more open cell structure (Talalay more than Dunlop) and the pincores and any additional benefits they offer are just a “side effect” of the manufacturing process. Latex foam was often called Pincore Latex.

Latex with the pincores are the most supportive (have the highest compression modulus) of all the foams. I would be very hesitant in using any latex (especially in the support core) that didn’t have pincores (either Dunlop or Talalay) as the “continuous process” Dunlop is usually used to make a softer version of Dunlop either for quilting or for a top layer which is softer than regular Dunlop can usually be made. It’s feel is different from both Talalay and Dunlop produced in a mold and even though it is “technically” softer … it will often feel firmer because it compresses differently.

Phoenix