Latex Mattress in Canada

Hi WhyIsMattressShoppingSoDifficult,

Pardon my delay in this response, I see MFC has done a great job at answering most of your questions already.
Regarding certifications, I understand it can be difficult to differentiate between false and truth, especially in this industry.
The buyer should gain a trust in the chosen retailer, also being a Trusted Member on this forum means that there is full confidence in our knowledge.
Transparency is important, as long as your given all the right tools and information, you should be able to make an informed decision :slight_smile:
Your last question regarding Organic vs Natural certifications, both are valid and free of chemicals. The main difference is in the earth that the trees are grown. GOLS certification is both costly and strict but to my knowledge is not greatly better then 100% Naturally Certified latex. Depending on budget and organic lifestyle, the choice really is up to you.
I hope this answers your question.

Hi WhyIsMattressShoppingSoDifficult,

The latex inside the Maoli natural latex mattress is certified Organic by GOLS. The certificates are issued to the actual producers of the rubber as they have to be inspected to make sure they conform to all the strict requirements set by the third party certification.

Under the GOLS content standard all latex rubber must:

contain at least 95% organic latex content
not contain any synthetic latex

In addition to the purity and performance standards GOLS standards also includes many other important health and social guidelines. Some of the other important parameters included in the certification include:
VOC and harmful substance testing
forest stewardship practises
waste and pollution management
water management regulations
renewable energy requirements
living wage guidelines for workers
child labour is prohibited

[quote]The other question I had was the ‘why’ on tencel fabric being used in the mattress cover. I see that it’s not GOTS-certified, but that in itself might not be a problem. I just haven’t heard much about the material. Why tencel? Thanks.
[/quote]

GOTS stands for Global Organic Textile Standard

Tencel cannot be certified organic as it does not contain 70% organically grown fibres. It is used in our Maoli mattress to offer a lower price point mattress made with pure organic rubber and a non organic Tencel cover. The Maoli is made with both organic rubber and a non organic Tencel cover. Since the cover is not organic, we cannot call it an organic mattress, but is referred to as our natural mattress, since all the components come from safe, non toxic materials.

What is Tencel?

Tencel fibre is the brand name for lyocell fibres manufactured by the house of Lenzing. Tencel is a type of rayon cellulose fibre extracted from the wood pulp of sustainably grown Eucalyptus trees. Unlike other forms of Rayon, Tencel is manufactured in a closed loop cycle that recycles nearly 100% of all the organic compounds used during the manufacturing process. The patented system has earned them numerous accolades including the EU’s European Award for the Environment. Tencel is an ideal fiber for latex mattresses due to it’s sustainability, strength and moisture absorbing properties.

Certifications:
Third party Tencel certifications include:
Oeko-Tex Standard 100(Confidence in textiles – tested for harmful substances)
USDA BioPreferred (certified 100% bio-based)
FSC (Forest Stewardship Council)
European Eco-Label (environmentally friendly)
Din Certo (compostable)
Vincotte (compostable)
US BPI (compostable)
EcoCert (product life cycle)

Advantages of Tencel:

Ecological Friendly
Accounting for the entire life cycle, Tencel is one of the most environmentally friendly fibres in the world. Derived from the wood pulp of sustainably grown Eucalyptus trees, the closed loop manufacturing process recycles nearly 100% of organic solvents used in the manufacturing process.

High Tensile Strength
Whether dry or damp, Tencel fibres retain their strength. These durable fibres can withstand decades of use making them an idea compliment to latex.

Moisture Absorbent
Tencel fibres absorb moisture into their unique cell structure until it can be evaporated away.

Soft to the Touch
The surface of Tencel is smoother than silk. Tencel is commonly used in face masks for the cosmetic industry due to its silky-smooth surface and absorbent properties.

Hygienic
The condition that allow bacteria to grow are greatly reduced due to the moisture absorbing properties of Tencel.

All the best!

Hi, I recycle an old topic about certifications, I hope thats ok.

I’m glad I found your forum because I was about to buy a dormio mattress and asked the [email protected] the following question:
" is it possible to see a photo of the new product tag with the materials listed for a specific product and the gols certification tag?"

Dormio seems to refuse to show me the photos of those tags and instead ask me to consult their certification online. I don’t understand why they behave as such, do you guys have any idea or experience buying from Dormio ?

Another question, do you have an idea why their online certifications are almost all expired ? Can it influence the quality of the new mattress produce ?

Thanks a lot.

Hi Dage,

Many retailers don’t like to send photos of the actual tags as they can be copied and used by a deceitful competitor. If you want to see that actual tags and you live close by to one of their retail location
you can go and inspect them there.

Dormio is a respectful organic latex manufacturer and is a recommended Trusted Member
of this website.

That’s normal. The GOLS certification is valid for 1 year and the renewal process can take up to 6 months. Most manufacturers carry a 6 month (or more) inventory
of organic dunlop latex, so even if the certificate is expired online, the latex they have on hand was bought when it was valid.

All the best!

Hi MFC, I have several questions about your latex mattresses and mattresses in general.

1. I see that you are also selling memory foam mattresses, and memory foam is known for it’s off-gassing. Do you store your latex in the same warehouse as your memory foam? How do you make sure the smells from memory foam do not penetrate latex?
  2. Is your wool mattress cover stretchy?
  3. Are mattress flammability laws here in Canada the same as in US? Does a mattress need to pass an open flame test here as well (or any other tests)?
  4. What do you use in your tencel covers to achieve flame-resistance?
    Thank you!

Hi skyisred,

We can no longer get memory foam due to supply chain issues. But when we could, we did not store it in the same warehouse. Since the demand for memory foam has decrease in the last years, we would simply order it from the foam plant as the orders came in, made the mattress and then shipped it out.

No, it’s not, because we have to quilt the cover with virgin wool.

Yes they do have to pass an open flame test set up by Health Canada. Wool is used in our organic dunlop latex mattresses as the flame retardant

Tencel is woven with polyester, which is inherently flame-resistant because of the structure of the fabric, and the way it is woven, so it doesn’t need to be treated with chemicals.

Did I answer all your questions?
Please let me know if you need any further information.

All the Best!
Mario

Thank you so much, Mario! You are always so very helpful!